Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Obchod na korze (1965)
Directed by
Ján Kadár
Elmar Klos

Genre: Drama / War (more)

Plot Summary: Slovakia during WW2. Tono lives a poor life, but the authorities offer him a take over the Jewish widow Lautman's little shop for sewing material... (more)

User Comments: Heartbreaking and Shattering (more)

User Rating: 8.7/10 (1,233 votes)

Complete credited cast:
Ida Kaminska .... Rozalie Lautmann
Jozef Króner .... Antonin Brtko
Hana Slivková .... Evelyna Brtková
Martin Hollý .... Imro Kuchar
Adám Matejka .... Piti Báci
Frantisek Zvarík .... Marcus Kolkotsky
Mikulas Ladizinsky .... Marian Peter
Martin Gregor .... Jozef Katz, barber
Alojz Kramar .... Balko, the bandmaster
Gita Misurova .... Andoricová
Frantisek Papp .... Andoric
Helena Zvaríková .... Rose Kolkotsky
Tibor Vadas .... Tobacconist
Eugen Senaj .... Blau, the Jewish relief treasurer
Luise Grossova .... Eliasova, Danko's mother
(more)

Also Known As:
The Shop on Main Street (USA)
Runtime: 128 min / USA:125 min (2001 Criterion release)
Language: Slovak / Czech / German
Color: Black and White
Sound Mix: Mono
Certification: Argentina:16 / Chile:18 / Finland:K-16 / Sweden:11

Quotes: Antonin Brtko: I'm your Aryan and you're my Jewess . . . understand? (more)

Awards: Won Oscar. Another 4 wins & 3 nominations (more)

OBCHOD NA KORZE

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

User Comments:

Heartbreaking and Shattering, 29 April 2005

Author: brocksilvey from United States

"The Shop on Main Street" tells the story of Tony Brtko (Jozef Kroner), assigned as the Aryan supervisor of a small shop run by Rozalie Lautman (Ida Kaminska), a doddering old lady whose mind is mostly gone and lives in a fog, seemingly unaware that World War II is raging around her. Tony, no sympathizer to the Nazi cause, takes on the duties begrudgingly, but becomes increasingly more involved as he realizes what fate will gradually meet Rozalie. Things reach a shattering conclusion at the climax, as Tony is met by her frustrating oblivion to the danger she is in. Ida Kaminska has received most of the attention in regards to this film. Hollywood even recognized her with a Best Actress Academy Award nomination in 1966. But the standout for me was Jozef Kroner, playing a quiet, mostly lazy man who is forced against his will into the role of hero. Watching his performance is like watching a raw nerve. I had some slight problems with the director's obsession on comparing Tony to Christ (he's a carpenter, he repeatedly is shown having his feet bathed), but this is a minor complaint about a film that packs a tremendous emotional wallop. I defy anyone to forget the last painful, lingering image of the film (I won't give it away), that simultaneously comments on the world that is and laments the world that could be.

Grade: A

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Trufflehound said:
Sophie Scholl: the Last Days is another brilliant German film about the war that is streets ahead of Schindler.
:yawn:

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
"Message Boards

Discuss this movie with other users on IMDb message board for Obchod na korze (1965)Recent Posts (updated daily) User
Better then Schindler's List "

:lolol: :lolol: :lolol:

No-one flounce! That's a cut'n'paste from IMDB!

Hannibal smith

Jul 7, 2003
Kenilworth
I watched the latest Bond at the Weekend. Fantsatic entertainment with PROPER torture scenes. 9.0 out of 10. Marked down slightly due to the Naff Poker scenes. (I can't beleive Bond APOLOGISED for going all in on a Full House Aces over Kings. Any Poker player laying that down would need shooting)

Mission Impossible 3. Much better than I thought it would be 8.0 out of 10. Tom Cruise = Idiot though.

The best of the lot was on Monday night - The Running Man on Channel 5 - Arnie one liners at his best. :D Truly awful but watchable.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Man of Harveys said:
"Message Boards

Discuss this movie with other users on IMDb message board for Obchod na korze (1965)Recent Posts (updated daily) User
Better then Schindler's List "

:lolol: :lolol: :lolol:

No-one flounce! That's a cut'n'paste from IMDB!
:thumbsup:

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Spielberg says its his least liked film, its ok, not one I would watch much off, there are some superb set pieces showing Spileberg's genious but overall it does not gel that well 6.5

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
Uncle Spielberg said:
Spielberg says its his least liked film, its ok, not one I would watch much off, there are some superb set pieces showing Spileberg's genious but overall it does not gel that well 6.5

It might have been better if they'd managed to keep John Belushi off the nose candy while they were making it.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
he was still the best part of it

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
I watched Big Night the other evening. A lovely film of sometime soft humour, character, poor accentualization, purpose, and scenes of thrusting emotion spoken in Italian without subtitles, so their expressions had to say as much, if not more, as the hearts that internally beat and brains that pulse.
Stanley Tucci and Tony Shalhoub as the Italian brothers running a restaurant badly in New York in competition and friendship with Ian Holm, who owns a flambouyant nearby emporium of colour and tastes for show. A good film.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Night at the Museum 7.7

Wandered down to the Multiplex at the Marina , 5 of us all told, thought 3 weeks into the run should be plenty of room. WRONG, after our meal we strolled along and the cinema was fecking packed, we had to sit on the front row. First time I have ever sat on the front row, the perspective is different as you cannot take in the whole screen but got used to it after a while. This was excellent family fare with a host of stars about a janitor at a Museum which comes to live at night. Ben Stiller was his usually competant self, it also had the always likeable Owen Wilson, a great turn by Steve Coogan, the ever good Robin Williams an amusing turn by Ricky Gervais and great shows by old handers Dick Van Dyke and Mickey Rooney , the later who was particularly good, workmanlike story but great effects and a 110 minute romp which hit the spot and is recommended. It is close to breaking the " mega film " $ 200 000 000 in the US Box office and is well worth the £ 5.25 adult fee.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Rocky 4 - 6.7

this is 80's dreamland , big hair, big muscles, big soundtrack and Rocky avenging the death of Apollo Creed ( who frankly did ask for it ) and uniting America and the Russian federation that even had Gorby clapping at the end. The comparison in the training with Drago on state of the art machines and Rocky with everyday household goods was a particuarly good sequence. Virtually no story but you still were shouting COME ON ROCKY ! at the end. The second best of the 5 imho. Disposable but good fun.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here