Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Uncle Spielberg's Film Club

Jul 20, 2003
had a film BINGE over the last three days - nothing to do, a bit under the weather and skintish ergo:

finaly got down the cinema for 28 Weeks Later (somewhere between a 6 and a 7) some good set pieces but nothing special

DVD binge of:

Best In Show (for about the 5th time) a solid 8, as many laughs as you can reasonably expect from a film

X-Men 3 or whatever it's called, not my thing but enjoyable enough tosh (6)

Black Narcissus - hadn't seen it for nearly 20 years, NOW WE'RE TALKING 9+ quality

The Proposition - a wonderfully grim 8

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Pevenseagull said:

Best In Show (for about the 5th time) a solid 8, as many laughs as you can reasonably expect from a film

What a great little film that is.

Captain Haddock

Aug 2, 2005
The Deep Blue Sea
Tony Meolas Loan Spell said:
What a great little film that is.

Agree. Mrs. Haddock had seen it and seemed to rate it (and she's no chick-flick-loving, slushy, OK magazine-reading half-wit I can tell yer) so the signs were good, shipmates.

I wasn't disappointed. Christopher Guest hits the mark with a good humoured look at the U.S dog show world and it's eccentric losers. Some characters bordered on being a little too cartoonish on occasion but Guest keeps them just the right side of OTT and makes a good comedy turn himself as the fishing store guy who enters his slavering hound into the show.

Amusing, gentle comedy that presses most of the right buttons.

(And the Cap'in's a (tough) film nut (to crack), let me tell yer!)

:)

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
You must therefore watch a Mighty Wind and For Your Consideration in that case...

Same cast etc.

Jul 20, 2003
Tony Meolas Loan Spell said:
You must therefore watch a Mighty Wind and For Your Consideration in that case...

Same cast etc.

and indeed, "Waiting For Guffman"

" I'll tell you why I can't put up with you people. Because you're bastard people."

another solid 8

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Oh Waiting For Guffman is WICKERD.

Bought it for a £5 on play.com a couple of monnths ago...

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
The Fountain - 7.0 - stunningly beautiful to look at, a tale over 3 times about a man and his mortality and his dying wife and a tree of life, made by the director of PI and Requiem for a dream, superb soundtrack as well

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I think the new Transformers film looks quite good

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Uncle Spielberg said:
The Prestige was superb and Bale is the best actor in the business at the moment by some way, some clever spark said the Prestige was toilet earlier in this thread :jester:

saw it last night and it was ok.

Bales cockney accent was only marginally better than Dick Van Dykes in ary Poppins though. Never a 9 out of 10 like suggested on here.

Kenhead

Oct 1, 2003
Brighton
Watched a couple of films last week

Music and lyrics Wasn't really my idea to watch it but it wasn't accually that bad and the flash backs to Hugh Grant in he's 80's pop band where quite funny.

28 weeks later Really enjoyed the first one but did struggle through this, as found it abit boring in places. Did enjoy the bit at the end with Wembley, but due to the ending does make me think theres going to be a third one.

Pirates 3 I don't mind these but can't really understand how the last one become the biggest selling dvd of all time, not bad films with funny bits in but do tend to drag on far to long, i'm glad that i've seen it but wouldn't really want to watch it again

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Vancancy.

I havent been as let down by a film for a while, this film had a really good idea and ruined it.
For the first 45 mins it was fast of pace junping and dark.
After that it just became unrealistic/samey and dull.

4/10

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Well I would add that The Departed was excellent 8.5 out of 10. Points deducted because it was a rip off from Internal Affairs an asian film.

Anyhow saw the Fantastic Four Rise of the Silver Surfer.

7.5 out of 10.

Very good special effects. Excellent even. But thats not enough these days, points deducted for not showing Galacticus as depicted in the comics and the fact that the FF in the even didnt even save the day...!

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
Well I would add that The Departed was excellent 8.5 out of 10. Points deducted because it was a rip off from Internal Affairs an asian film.

It was actually based on INFERNAL Affairs Tone.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks

7.5 out of 10.

Very good special effects. Excellent even. But thats not enough these days, points deducted for not showing Galacticus as depicted in the comics and the fact that the FF in the even didnt even save the day...!

I saw it sat, I enjoyed it a lot.

I thought it made a nice change for a film to not be over an 2 hours and it went straight into the action.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
I saw it sat, I enjoyed it a lot.

I thought it made a nice change for a film to not be over an 2 hours and it went straight into the action.

Yes I think its because the first film spent so bloody long on them getting powers and dealing with it that they could afford to just get "straight in" this time round...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here