Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

UK jobs market recovery 'to stall'

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
There's far too much "blame" in this thread.

The way I see it the private sector's doing OK considering, while the public sector's grown disproportionately large under Labour's stewardship and the Coalition are simply applying some common sense and good housekeeping by shedding 600,000.

By and large those 600,000 were doing meaningless jobs. As Tony Hayres once said to Alan Partridge "We don't owe you a living."

We can all name at least one person we know in the public sector with a micky mouse job, not working that hard. It's about time people started tooling themselves up with proper qualifications and doing a real job.

Tubby Mondays

Dec 8, 2005
A Crack House
In George Osbourne budget in July I didn't see many tax cuts then, isn't VAT (amongst other rises) to be raised to 20% on Jan 4 2011, to help pay for our crippling debt, so how does this sit with your pre-conceived, ill thought out, sterotypical rent a quote last sentence.

Because they were able to blame the previous government. Its very simple. Every new government in every country can do what it likes for a period of time (including raising taxes) by blaming the previous government. There will come a time when this wont wash and votes need to be bought. Oops! Sorry; earnt. At that point taxes (for some obviously, not all) will be cut. This thread will then be bounced and I will say to you; I told you so.

MARKO

Dec 13, 2007
Wait till the new boss of the council starts to put his plans into action around October time.
The council currently run 8 divisions with massive amounts of overlaps ie all with their own Human resources,health and safety depts etc.
Majority of staff will be put "on risk" staff numbers will be cut by a min of 50%...this will include natural wastage etc.
Huge savings will be made by outsourcing and combining depts...this won't mean an increase in efficiency just allow the council to hit it's financial targets.

6500 staff down to sub 3000

simmo

Feb 8, 2008
Because they were able to blame the previous government. Its very simple. Every new government in every country can do what it likes for a period of time (including raising taxes) by blaming the previous government. There will come a time when this wont wash and votes need to be bought. Oops! Sorry; earnt. At that point taxes (for some obviously, not all) will be cut. This thread will then be bounced and I will say to you; I told you so.

So who is to blame for the £1,500,000,000,000 (thanks Titanic) debt we as a country are in? Answer 13 years of New Labour

Who has to do something about it? Answer Tories

Nothing changes!

Tubby Mondays

Dec 8, 2005
A Crack House
So who is to blame for the £1,500,000,000,000 (thanks Titanic) debt we as a country are in? Answer 13 years of New Labour

Nothing changes!

I think you mean the temporary LibDem/Tory coalition dont you?

The Tories were unable to get elected by themselves and had to go cap in hand to someone who didnt care whos dick he sucked to get a sniff of power.

Was all that debt Labours by the way or just some of it?

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland
The Sage of Baltimore, H.L. Mencken, had it right: "Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it -- good and hard.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004

Nothing changes!
It's funny that you accuse 'the left' of not understanding economics when you don't seem to know the difference between a deby and a deficit.
We've had a national debt for CENTURIES, and our current debt is comparable to that of our peers.
Our defiicit does need to be reduced. But the tories insistence on doing it so quickly and deeply is completely driven by ideology, not need.

simmo

Feb 8, 2008
I think you mean the temporary LibDem/Tory coalition dont you?

The Tories were unable to get elected by themselves and had to go cap in hand to someone who didnt care whos dick he sucked to get a sniff of power.

Was all that debt Labours by the way or just some of it?

Well it seems to me to be a Tory Chancellor and PM so I would guess they would get any credit/discredit as to how it all ends up.

If it wasn't Labour's fault then whose is it that after their 13 years in (absolute i.e working majority) power and 13 Labour budgets we are £1,500,000,000,000 in debt?

simmo

Feb 8, 2008
It's funny that you accuse 'the left' of not understanding economics when you don't seem to know the difference between a deby and a deficit.
We've had a national debt for CENTURIES, and our current debt is comparable to that of our peers.
Our defiicit does need to be reduced. But the tories insistence on doing it so quickly and deeply is completely driven by ideology, not need.

Whatever, you can get into technicalities over what I may state, but at the end of the day are we as a country in a sound financial situation or a desperate one?

Tubby Mondays

Dec 8, 2005
A Crack House
Well it seems to me to be a Tory Chancellor and PM so I would guess they would get any credit/discredit as to how it all ends up.

If it wasn't Labour's fault then whose is it that after their 13 years in (absolute i.e working majority) power and 13 Labour budgets we are £1,500,000,000,000 in debt?

Let me put my question another way. The figure that you have quoted, which I presume you understand as you have quoted it on more than one occasion; is that the debt (as you call it) that Labour itself ran up in 13 years of government or was any of it (even a tiny little bit) left to them by the previous government?

simmo

Feb 8, 2008
Let me put my question another way. The figure that you have quoted, which I presume you understand as you have quoted it on more than one occasion; is that the debt (as you call it) that Labour itself ran up in 13 years of government or was any of it (even a tiny little bit) left to them by the previous government?

I actually was quoting a different figure earlier which was the defecit (for about the last 12 months or so) which was £165,000,000,000 (until Titanic put in the overall national debt which was £1,500,000,000,000, which is still incumbent on any government at the time to try and get down).

The defecit for one year alone is 11% of the overall debt of the country, take your pick as to which figure you think shows Labour as being economically competent and tell me why these show it.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Yes on a private company doing the work! Nice little earner off the Government that one.

Exactly. But why pursue something that was clearly f***ed to start with. In the Private sector you would have said not fit for purpose so we are ending it now.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
What pisses me off is that the people behind it still have jobs.

Indeed. Those that commissioned should be sacked. Those that were "building" it should also be.

Private sector ethics should dictate.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
The lefties,God bless 'em, will never admit that their Government was even a teensy weensy bit responsible for the shit the country is in and I don't just mean financial shit.
Don't you know, it was all Mrs.Thatcher's fault!
Trouble is with Labour and a vast amount of its supporters,is that they do not understand the concept of only spending what you can afford and their periods in Government almost invariably end in tears that the next lot have to sort.In the meantime,the lefties howl and rant about the nasty Tories and how many babies they are going to eat in the pursuit of some terrible capitalist dogma!Nothing to do with clearing up the leftie mess....of course!

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland
Indeed. Those that commissioned should be sacked. Those that were "building" it should also be.

Private sector ethics should dictate.

I agree. "Buy low, sell high" and "The devil take the hindmost" are the perfect ethical yardsticks for public enterprise.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here