Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

UK jobs market recovery 'to stall'

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
What makes you think this? I'd say the perfect example of a rail system being run for others as opposed to commuters is the privatised overland service, not the tubes.

It's being run for the shareholders to make as much money as possible which is wrong. That's doesn't make the RMT's stranglehold on the tubes right though.

Surely there's some middle ground to be had with the utilities and services. We've gone from one extreme to the other, from a piss poor service and lazy overpaid workforce protected by unions and fear of strikes to corporate entities looking to bleed us and their workforce dry at any opportunity.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
It's being run for the shareholders to make as much money as possible which is wrong. That's doesn't make the RMT's stranglehold on the tubes right though.

Surely there's some middle ground to be had with the utilities and services. We've gone from one extreme to the other, from a piss poor service and lazy overpaid workforce protected by unions and fear of strikes to corporate entities looking to bleed us and their workforce dry at any opportunity.

I don't agree. I have a few issues, mainly the fact tubes do not run all through the night and have reduced services on Bank Holidays. Most foreign people I know find this London fact unbelievable. Otherwise it's okay; aside from what I just wrote services are good, pricing seems fine, the odd strike here and there but by and large it's no big deal. So I can understand your perspective what is your major gripe?

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
I don't agree. I have a few issues, mainly the fact tubes do not run all through the night and have reduced services on Bank Holidays. Most foreign people I know find this London fact unbelievable. Otherwise it's okay; aside from what I just wrote services are good, pricing seems fine, the odd strike here and there but by and large it's no big deal. So I can understand your perspective what is your major gripe?

No major gripe with the Tube or the service you get on it. I just think the union takes the piss a bit too much with their strikes and it's overpriced if you haven't got an oyster card. PPP seems to be a blank cheque for contractors but they were rumbled in the end.

My piss poor service comment was about the public monoliths of old. I work with or speak to quite a few ex BT engineers and their stories of how they worked in the 70s and 80s are shocking.

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
Thanks tedebear. I'm upset but keeping it in perspective. A lot of people are going through a lot worse. Really not looking forward to joining the job hunt again though.

I know what you mean, and it would worry me too! Although you never know something good could come of all this, that which doesn't break us makes us stronger! Good luck!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here