Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Turned Away For Being British......... What's The View Of The NSC Hand Wringers?

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
Just another attempt by people with right wing views to spread mistrust... and to advertise their sense of being 'victims'

Spot on.

"Why is it okay to discriminate against white males?" It's the opening line of "Blowing Smoke: Why the Right Keeps Serving Up Whack-job Fantasies About the Plot to Euthanize Grandma, Outlaw Christmas, and Turn Junior into a Raging Homosexual", by Michael Wolraich, but could have also been an NSC thread.

The book outlines three scare tactics of the American right-wing, which may be relevant here:
1) Slippery slope: "these policies lead the nation down the road to abomination"
2) Secret plot: "these policies are part of an evil conspiracy"
3) Persecution: "these policies discriminate against us"

On my Amazon wishlist, but you can "See Inside":
Blowing Smoke: Why the Right Keeps Serving Up Whack-job Fantasies About the Plot to Euthanize Grandma, Outlaw Christmas, and Turn Junior into a Raging Homosexual: Amazon.co.uk: Michael Wolraich: Books

Scampi

One of the Three
Jun 10, 2009
Denton
Do you fancy repeating that to me in person Noele, i'm just round the corner from Osborne Villas.

You can be a bit of a berk at times Bushy. At your best you're funny and get right up the noses of the muesli brigade, but you gotta stop the thinly veiled threats of violence, they make you sound like a knuckle dragging caveman

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
1) That story is 5 years old.
2) We only have HER word for it that that's all she said. The school can't comment on grounds of confidentiality.
3) Nowhere in that story does it say the lesson wasn't taught in English.

Well why were the charges dropped ? No smoke Etc. The plain fact is that a lot of people who live in this country can't speak English and I don't just mean people who originate from the Indian Sub Continent. However I do know that in some areas English is not the first language. Where it comes to be a big problem is when a non English speaker has an accident. As I work for the NHS from time to time I get to hear stories about gravely ill women who won't let a doctor examine them and so on.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
You can be a bit of a berk at times Bushy. At your best you're funny and get right up the noses of the muesli brigade, but you gotta stop the thinly veiled threats of violence, they make you sound like a knuckle dragging caveman

Well, he didn't exactly threaten anything did he ? Mind you to be fair Bushy is ex forces I believe so you may be right (am I allowed to say 'right' ?

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Regarding beorhthelm's point that the group may have a purpose such as supporting parents in learning English:

I think if that were the case they'd welcome native English speakers. It's the best was to learn a language.

Although the two mums in question are native English speakers, their comprehension of the English language did not go as far as grasping what a group entitled the 'Making Links ethnic communities group' might entail. Surely they ought to have twigged? Nor did it lead to them reading up on the group's purpose, which was readily available on the web before the story hit the tabloids. Those two mums are certainly not setting a good example to the immigrant mothers in making English language skills count.

cunning fergus

NSC Patron
Jan 18, 2009
Surely if the aims of the project are:

· To develop cross-cultural friendships

· To promote cultural identity and self-esteem

Seems to me that if anyone from any background is being excluded from the group then it fails on the first point. As for the second point I am not sure how that brings anything to the integration party...........maybe the larger UK population just need to understand the cultural benefits of honour killings, denying your own children the right to choose their partners, the irrational hatred of pigs. polygamy and genital mutilation. Happy honaker.

fork me

I have changed this
Oct 22, 2003
Gate 3, Limassol, Cyprus
of course, we've been given the full and balanced report of the incident....

it seems to me a tiny detail is overlooked. they turned them away due to being British, the group only open to foreigners. not only open to non-whites. so a french child is welcome, while a black brit not. seems to me there might be possible a purpose, say support for the parents in learning English? and i reckon they knew exaclty what would happen, and turned up to make a point.

seems wrong in principle, but we dont know the full details and theres a large slice of, so what?

This.

fork me

I have changed this
Oct 22, 2003
Gate 3, Limassol, Cyprus
Well why were the charges dropped ?

Why wouldn't they be? I've been teaching in secondary schools for 13 years now (11 in England and the last 2 in Cyprus), schools just don't get the police involved for nothing, and the police don't prosecute kids unless they actually have to.

Here's my educated guess as someone inside the system, and it is a guess, the article gives us very little information.

No school would get the police involved because a pupil asked to move class because the other kids didn't speak english, nor would the police take them seriously if they did. However, schools in the UK do now have a Police Liasion Officer, a Police officer who has a special remit to work with a few local schools in particular (ours, in Eastbourne was parcticularly good btw). I'm guessing they've had racism problems with this girl before, she made a fuss here but NOT in the way the paper says and they agreed to give her a bit of a fright to try and stop it after all else had failed. I doubt there was ever any intention to prosecute.

We had a break in at our school a few years ago, kids from the shool "having a laugh". Some stuff got damaged. We dealt with it internally, but got our copper to have a word as well, on the ramifications of what they'd done and what COULD have happened to them if the school had chosen to get the police involved on a more formal level. He went to homes and spoke to the pupils concerned with their parents. One parent refused to let him in the house and wouldn't let him talk to the pupil, so he arrested that pupil, took her to the station and had her questiuoned "officially". There was no intent to prosecute, but the parent had left him with no choice.

It's highly possible that something similar happened here. As I said we don't know, the paper doesn't give enough information and the school are effectively gagged by confidentiality.

No smoke Etc.

Interesting how people who use that expression only use it one way. The phrase could equally badly be used to assume the girl is guilty. It's one of the most stupid phrases in the English language. There is often smoke without fire, but literally and in the way the ohrases is intended. HTH.

Last edited:

Jan 30, 2008
Back off a bit on Bushy on this one. This is misguided British people getting it wrong here... not foriegners or people of diffferent colour or creed. This is more a comment on how some people who want to do good are a bit naive and the do-gooding is misplaced. It is of fundamental necessity that integration takes place to encourage understanding on both sides.
and where's that happening ?

Back off a bit on Bushy on this one. This is misguided British people getting it wrong here... not foriegners or people of diffferent colour or creed. This is more a comment on how some people who want to do good are a bit naive and the do-gooding is misplaced. It is of fundamental necessity that integration takes place to encourage understanding on both sides.
What exactly have the organisers of this project done wrong?

It's a project to support immigrant women that provides much needed advice and information, together with access to English language lessons. That can only help integration.

It's NOT a playgroup. It's a women's project with a creche attached. What a sensible way to run a project. And good luck to the church that has taken this initiative.

The people who should be condemned are the press - who are misrepresenting the purpose of the project and stirring up trouble for it. How does that help anyone?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here