Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Tube Drivers: What's The Deal? Average salary £37,800.

There seems to be a lot of jealousy being posted on here at the moment about Tube staff.
Some facts about the current dispute between the Drivers union,ASLEF,up until this year Boxing day has always been what is referred to as a special timetable,the shifts have always been covered by volunteers at no extra pay or no extra day off,this year LUL stated that Boxing day would run to a Sunday timetable,therefore 40-50 more drivers would be required(at My depot) to run the service.ASLEF said "fine if the company are going to be arses about it We'll make an equally ludicrous demand of treble time and a day in Lieu."LUL are never going to swallow that so therefore We are in dispute,simple really,LUL have taken something that has worked perfectly well for years and screwed up the agreement,some may say(not necessarily Me) that the shiny arses now at the top(who have no railway background)have been brought in specifically by the Eton Rifles to try and break the unions.
We didn't all leave school at sixteen and stack shelves then come on the railway(as some elitist arse wipes would have You believe),
I personally left school at 16,started a print apprenticeship,joined the Navy,lived in Australia for a year and then went on the Railway.
To get to the position where I am now as an Instructor took Me about 4 years of studying,about 50% of which was in My own time,but not at My own expense.
Station staff do a thankless task often getting foul abuse from Men in sharp suits with lovely soft hands,when Boris gets His way and gets rid of a vast number of them the stations,particularly the ones in open sections will be no go areas after 8pm(ever been to Southwick or Fishersgate stations of an evening?)Visually impaired people will no longer get the personal service they enjoy at the moment,trains will sit down in platforms for what may be hours as I wait for a taxi to arrive with a member of staff in it to assist with a passenger alarm.
I think every person in, every walk of life should have the right to withdraw their labour,I'd much rather they did that than urinate up a statue of Sir Winston Churchill,rip flags from the Nations tribute to it's war dead or beat a Police Horse with a scaffold pole as some of our more worthy of 40k citizens do.
Driving a Tube train is not the most difficult job in the world,but for Me it's the best,
Yes,Nurses,Policemen,firemen should get more,but that's for their Unions or Federations to discuss,not Me.
Don't be jealous of our pay and conditions,aspire to improve Yours.
Ps.Boxing day is My roster day off.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Some facts about the current dispute between the Drivers union,ASLEF,up until this year Boxing day has always been what is referred to as a special timetable,the shifts have always been covered by volunteers at no extra pay or no extra day off,this year LUL stated that Boxing day would run to a Sunday timetable,therefore 40-50 more drivers would be required(at My depot) to run the service.ASLEF said "fine if the company are going to be arses about it We'll make an equally ludicrous demand of treble time and a day in Lieu."LUL are never going to swallow that so therefore We are in dispute,simple really,.

This is why you (and many other Unions) get no sympathy from the general public - you treat these disputes like a game, rather than making a grown up attempt to resolve them. These are people's everyday lives you are f***ing about.

And can you please answer my point from about ten pages ago? If the Union refuse to accept Sunday 26th as a normal day, then we presume they are going to offer to work the designated holiday on the 28th for no extra pay. Or do you want it both ways? Sorry, of course you do...

This is why you (and many other Unions) get no sympathy from the general public - you treat these disputes like a game, rather than making a grown up attempt to resolve them. These are people's everyday lives you are f***ing about.

And can you please answer my point from about ten pages ago? If the Union refuse to accept Sunday 26th as a normal day, then we presume they are going to offer to work the designated holiday on the 28th for no extra pay. Or do you want it both ways? Sorry, of course you do...
We don't get any extra pay for working bank holidays,not for years now.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Boxing day this year is not a bank holiday

When Xmas Day and Boxing Day fall at the weekend the following Monday and Tuesday are classed as Bank Holidays but for people working on the 25th and 26th because they are rostered in they will be paid extra.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
All those whinging about their better halves earning less in a care home or nursing or whatever - why tell the tube drivers to f*** off? Couldn't you direct your anger at certain others being paid obsene amounts of money for shit results instead (and there are plenty of these types running corporate Britain) or footballers with no morals or something.

Tube drivers earn what they do because they are properly protected by unions, that much is clear. What's to stop your wives applying for a job as a tube driver? Or alternatively, joining a care-worker union that is actually effective?

My thoughts exactly , care workers are normally on national minimum wage but the residents are each paying roughly £1000 per week to be looked after so their ire should be aimed at the owners who are raking it in.

hitony

Administrator
Jul 13, 2005
South Wales (im not welsh !!)
I have only read the first page, so I don't doubt my comment will cause a reaction, but people choose to do what that do, some have no choice, but those that don't appreciate what they have got, dont appreciate much at all, give and take is what it's all about, understand and think yourself lucky for what you have got :thumbsup:

raymondbriggs

Dec 21, 2008
on a snowman plough
Normam Baker gets £68.000 for being an MP and shed loads more for being a two faced tory government shoring up liberal stooge cabinet member ****.
He alone makes the tube staff look a complete bargain.

redneb

Oct 28, 2009
Burgess Hill
How the hell do you know that train drivers have usually left school by 16 with no qualifications?
So you think that I should be low paid then? I left school at 17, did an apprenticeship with the company that I still work for and got paid whilst doing on the job training. I also got an ONC whilst being pad by the company. I earn a similar wage as a tube train driver, but because I didn't choose to got to university and had to live on a low income for three years I am according to you not entitled to a decent wage.
Out of interest what job do you do now and what grade did you get when you finished university?

What I do or what you do is irrelavent. All I am saying is that skills that have been acquired by a person who paid for the skills themselves should be rewarded. Similarly if someone has been on a 2 or 3 year course which is 100% learning, those skills by logic should pay more than skills that have been acquired through 60% doing a job and 40% learning.

I believe jobs such as teaching represents an imbalance one way and jobs such as train driving represents an imbalance the other.

All im saying is that your wage should reflect the hard work you put in to get to that position. Obviously there are other factors such as how dangerous the role, unsocialble hours etc.

This is just my opinion. I am entitled to have one.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
My thoughts exactly , care workers are normally on national minimum wage but the residents are each paying roughly £1000 per week to be looked after so their ire should be aimed at the owners who are raking it in.

Quite. That Bannatyne Dragons' Den chap built his empire on the dosh he made from care homes. The Brighton homeless Secret Millionaire got his status in the same way.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
All im saying is that your wage should reflect the hard work you put in to get to that position.

How would you measure the hard work put in?

From the gist of your arguement I presume it is based on time spent studying and the personal sacrifice. This is flawed though, whilst I worked bloody hard for my degree other more naturally gifted people hardly broke sweat and effortlessly got firsts. I worked hard, should I be paid more?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I have only read the first page, so I don't doubt my comment will cause a reaction, but people choose to do what that do, some have no choice, but those that don't appreciate what they have got, dont appreciate much at all, give and take is what it's all about, understand and think yourself lucky for what you have got :thumbsup:

And don't be jealous about other people getting a better deal.

redneb

Oct 28, 2009
Burgess Hill
How would you measure the hard work put in?

From the gist of your arguement I presume it is based on time spent studying and the personal sacrifice. This is flawed though, whilst I worked bloody hard for my degree other more naturally gifted people hardly broke sweat and effortlessly got firsts. I worked hard, should I be paid more?

As I said in the post, there are other factors. Examples being:

- Bad hours.
- Bad conditions.
- Raw talent you need to do the job.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
As I said in the post, there are other factors. Examples being:

- Bad hours.
- Bad conditions.
- Raw talent you need to do the job.

But how would you measure the effort put in? This is my question.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Bob Crowe is there purely to hold the working Londoners to ransom. Trouble is we just give him and his stooges the universal salute and get on with our daily working lives, however hard he tries to disrupt our days.

Carry on Crowe, you won't win.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
There seems to be a lot of jealousy being posted on here at the moment about Tube staff.
Some facts about the current dispute between the Drivers union,ASLEF,up until this year Boxing day has always been what is referred to as a special timetable,the shifts have always been covered by volunteers at no extra pay or no extra day off,this year LUL stated that Boxing day would run to a Sunday timetable,therefore 40-50 more drivers would be required(at My depot) to run the service.ASLEF said "fine if the company are going to be arses about it We'll make an equally ludicrous demand of treble time and a day in Lieu."LUL are never going to swallow that so therefore We are in dispute,simple really,LUL have taken something that has worked perfectly well for years and screwed up the agreement,some may say(not necessarily Me) that the shiny arses now at the top(who have no railway background)have been brought in specifically by the Eton Rifles to try and break the unions.
We didn't all leave school at sixteen and stack shelves then come on the railway(as some elitist arse wipes would have You believe),
I personally left school at 16,started a print apprenticeship,joined the Navy,lived in Australia for a year and then went on the Railway.
To get to the position where I am now as an Instructor took Me about 4 years of studying,about 50% of which was in My own time,but not at My own expense.
Station staff do a thankless task often getting foul abuse from Men in sharp suits with lovely soft hands,when Boris gets His way and gets rid of a vast number of them the stations,particularly the ones in open sections will be no go areas after 8pm(ever been to Southwick or Fishersgate stations of an evening?)Visually impaired people will no longer get the personal service they enjoy at the moment,trains will sit down in platforms for what may be hours as I wait for a taxi to arrive with a member of staff in it to assist with a passenger alarm.
I think every person in, every walk of life should have the right to withdraw their labour,I'd much rather they did that than urinate up a statue of Sir Winston Churchill,rip flags from the Nations tribute to it's war dead or beat a Police Horse with a scaffold pole as some of our more worthy of 40k citizens do.
Driving a Tube train is not the most difficult job in the world,but for Me it's the best,
Yes,Nurses,Policemen,firemen should get more,but that's for their Unions or Federations to discuss,not Me.

Great post :clap:

There's two sides to every story.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham

That's easy then. keep the station staff and make all the trains automatic. You said it youirself "Driving a Tube train is not the most difficult job in the world" - so it does not justify getting paid over the odds.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
This whole thing about staff on the platform/ticket booth is bullshit. They are currently looking for voluntary redundancies and early retirees. No-one is being forced out of a job. The stations will always be manned, this has been promised by TfL and the public themselves wouldn't stomach a station that isn't manned. The fact is that ticket offices no longer require as many staff because over half those that used to use them now use automated services, generally pre-pay Oyster. This is purely about Bob Crowe and his cronies holding the workers of London to ransom, and they receive very little support from us the commuters. Disrupting our lives does their cause no good whatsoever. And anyway if someone wants to mug you on the station they will, regardless of some ticket office geezer locked behind his desk some 50 feet above you.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Bob Crowe is there purely to hold the working Londoners to ransom. Trouble is we just give him and his stooges the universal salute and get on with our daily working lives, however hard he tries to disrupt our days.

Carry on Crowe, you won't win.

Bob Crow is paid to fight for his members interests. That's what he's doing.

In the long term he won't win. There will be unstaffed stations and driverless trains.

But for now he's fighting for his members interests. What else do you expect him to do?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here