Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Tube Drivers: What's The Deal? Average salary £37,800.

Westdene Wonder

Aug 3, 2010
Brighton
I was told several years ago that Underground trains virtually drive themselves and automatic track equipment will stop the train,if this is correct then London Bus drivers are underpaid.

Is there union leader that fat lard arse geezer.

f*** em sack the lot and bring in more immigrants to do the job.

The lazy bastards just want the day off.

Hatterlovesbrighton

something clever
Jul 28, 2003
Not Luton! Thank God
From the union's point of view letting LU set a precedent on paying normal rate on Boxing Day would undermine pay and conditions for their members. It also gives other employers the idea they can impose it on their staff next year and eventually everyone who works on a bank holiday wont get any extra.

Boxing day this year is not a bank holiday

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
Can't see what their gripe is, that sounds like a very good salary, particularly compared to bus and lorry drivers...and it isn't as if they need to master a blooming sat-nav either!

It should be a good salary compared to bus & lorry drivers, Tube drivers tend to have a lot more responsibility given the amount of passengers they carry on a journey.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

Jan 30, 2008
I'm working Christmas Day, Boxing Day, the bank holiday after that and the one after the New Year, as will thousands of other emergency services workers, nurses, doctors, care home people and all sorts.

I knew that would be the case when I signed up for the job, as did the Tube drivers. Have I ever thought this unfair? Not for a second.
my hero !

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
I'm working xmas day/boxing day this year. Our agreement is that we get 3x time on xmas day and 2.5x on other bank holidays. If xmas/boxing/new years day falls on a weekend the goverment will declare a bank holiday on alternative days. In this case BH rate is payable for both the actual and declared days.
If the tube drivers have a similar clause in thier contract, then they have every right to object to being asked to work for standard rate.

Tony Towner's Fridge

Aug 22, 2003
GLASGOW,SCOTLAND,UK
From what i understand (my missus step dad is a tube driver) they're striking because of the cuts to on platform staff.

See my rant about Glasgow Queen Street personnel today, on another link.
Beaten tonight by Glasgow Underground only having one ticket machine (out of six) operational at Buchanan Street. No low level trains operating in Glasgow at 6pm and then at Partick Station 10 ticket collectors at the turnstiles and 8 in the ticket office. Oh, all 18 doing f all!

Get the b******s working in serving the general public as is their bloody job description. Get the trains working, it's only a bit of cold after all. Get the ticket machines working, if not get the lazy gits out on platforms selling tickets and keeping the general public informed and happy(er).

It isn't that difficult. Don't work in the Service Industries if you don't want to serve.

Simples innit!

TNBA

TTF

Feb 14, 2010
As most people that live in London know, tube drivers are on borrowed time. We need them as much as we need shire horses to pull a plough. The DLR has shown the way and the more they strike, the sooner we will get investment in the tube so to have a tube run like the Docklands Light Railway - trains without drivers. In the mean time they will recruit more flexible labour like women that want to come back to work and stop recruiting the sons of the tube drivers, so to stop the families that have passed the job from father to son, in order to get rid of the "I'm entitled, everyone else owes me a living" mentality. The market will out, even in the public sector and the tubes- eventually.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
As most people that live in London know, tube drivers are on borrowed time. We need them as much as we need shire horses to pull a plough. The DLR has shown the way and the more they strike, the sooner we will get investment in the tube so to have a tube run like the Docklands Light Railway - trains without drivers. In the mean time they will recruit more flexible labour like women that want to come back to work and stop recruiting the sons of the tube drivers, so to stop the families that have passed the job from father to son, in order to get rid of the "I'm entitled, everyone else owes me a living" mentality. The market will out, even in the public sector and the tubes- eventually.

I am not ideological against driverless tube trains and you could implement it over many years through "natural wastage" of jobs. The DLR has shown that if the infrastructure is place you can run a driverless train system,..

However, parts of the tube are over 150 years old !!!!

Dropping the politics for a moment - suggest where the money to completely overhaul the tube network is coming from ?

I've seen all sorts of changes in trains in the years I've lived here, but it appears to be the same old patched up infrastructure.

On that, I'd rather have someone driving me.

Last edited:

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
They also get free travel which saves a great deal.

You'd be surprised how little it actually amounts to.

I used to work for BR, and when I was thinking of leaving, I calculated how much extra salary I needed to earn to make up for the loss of travel facilities. Despite the fact that I used to do things like go to Italy for Bank Holiday weekends by train and made extensive use of the free and reduced tickets both in the UK and abroad, I was shocked at how little it would have cost if I had paid full price for all the tickets. However, when push came to shove, I stopped using the train so much as it didn't seem such good value!

The majority of the people I worked with hardly used their travel facilities compared to me, so the average value is peanuts.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I am serious. I'm not saying tube drivers are getting a bad deal, but I do think they're slightly undervalued.

isnt this a job for which there is a waiting list? if people are literally queuing up to work as tube drivers, any rational economical analysis would conclude they are on a very good deal.

They are striking because London Underground regard Boxing Day as a normal working day, which most people would agree is not a normal working day.
It would be interesting to see the agreement that LU are talking about, that ASLEF had previously signed up to which covers Bank Holiday cover.

it would be very intersting to know the full deal.

cast your mind back a year, and to the talk about this a year ago... there wasnt. surely this is just trying it on with new government, as Boxing Day falls on a Sunday? the whole point of the bank holidays moved to Mon/Tues is to cover the fact its on teh weekend. if ASLEF have agreed to holidays treated as normal days as part of a previous pay deal, why do they feel that needs renegotiation for this exception? where's RMT? what about Bus drivers, rail drivers etc? seems funny only one group kicking up a fuss.

ASLEF are doing what their members expect of them.

the only thing ASLEF is doing is making them look like a bunch of *****, so no one cares if they have a genuine grievance.

Last edited:

I'm working Christmas Day, Boxing Day, the bank holiday after that and the one after the New Year, as will thousands of other emergency services workers, nurses, doctors, care home people and all sorts.

I knew that would be the case when I signed up for the job, as did the Tube drivers. Have I ever thought this unfair? Not for a second.

Being a copper will you be getting Bank Holiday overtime rates for Christmas Day and Boxing Day then?

Interesting that. I take it, as they are assuming they should get extra for working on the 26th, that they will be considering the official public holiday on 28th as a normal working day?

Don't know, but as I said in my post it would be interesting to see what the agreement ASLEF has with LU is like.

I think train drivers / tube drivers pay is a long standing joke in this country. The amount of pay you get should be governed by the sacrifices you make to get yourself in that position. Anythink over 40k should only be given to those whove studied on their own time, not on the job training and those who went through a bit of hardship to get there.

My wifes brother who is the worst skank ive ever met is on over 40k. Fair enough he's got some train skills or whatever, but he learnt them whilst doing his normal train guard day job, and he never paid for any courses or anything himself.

The reason these guys get paid so much is because London relies on them and theyve always had good unions. It' a national discrace in my opinion.

Utter CUNTS

So someone like you who has only a basic understanding of English should get low pay also then?

isnt this a job for which there is a waiting list? if people are literally queuing up to work as tube drivers, any rational economical analysis would conclude they are on a very good deal.

it would be very intersting to know the full deal.

cast your mind back a year, and to the talk about this a year ago... there wasnt. surely this is just trying it on with new government, as Boxing Day falls on a Sunday? the whole point of the bank holidays moved to Mon/Tues is to cover the fact its on teh weekend. if ASLEF have agreed to holidays treated as normal days as part of a previous pay deal, why do they feel that needs renegotiation for this exception? where's RMT? what about Bus drivers, rail drivers etc? seems funny only one group kicking up a fuss.

Perhaps last year the drivers got paid extra on Boxing Day, have you thought that might be why you didn't hear anything about it in the news then?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here