Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Tube Drivers: What's The Deal? Average salary £37,800.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
They are striking because London Underground regard Boxing Day as a normal working day, which most people would agree is not a normal working day.
It would be interesting to see the agreement that LU are talking about, that ASLEF had previously signed up to which covers Bank Holiday cover.

I think they recognise it as a Bank Holiday but pay as a normal as part of an agreed annual salary. I.e. Some Food Manufacturing contracts, as you are required to manufacture 365 days per year contracts are worked out and paid based on a shift regardless on what day your shift day falls, the BH pay is built into the overall hourly rate so they can't have it twice!

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I'm working Christmas Day, Boxing Day, the bank holiday after that and the one after the New Year, as will thousands of other emergency services workers, nurses, doctors, care home people and all sorts.

I knew that would be the case when I signed up for the job, as did the Tube drivers. Have I ever thought this unfair? Not for a second.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
My missus is working Christmas day AND Boxing day at her care home, thats just the way her shift pattern has fallen. I suppose her and her colleagues could strike, but then the old dears won't get fed or washed, and she knew the hours when she took the job. She's on considerably less than £37k, and doesn't get anything like the amount of holidays they do, but she'll be turning up for work as usual.

I'm with servernside gull. Tube drivers can indeed "f*** right off". In fact I may even venture slightly further and say that they can DO one.

As will Mrs P who is also a care worker. I believe she gets a gracious time-and-a-half, but time-and-a-hlaf of not very much in the first place is virtually f*** all.

Tube drivers - f*** right off.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Why stop there, f*** it, up everyones salaries....... whoopie and if they dont, f*** em we going on strike. Oh and a side note, our very own Norman Baker suck my hairy lozenge is/was a tube driver i thik?

I'll give opinions on worth and salary on a case-by-case basis. Feel free to offer an occupation and I'll provide my view.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
and where is the money going to come from please?

The same place as their previous salary increases. I do not have all the answers in the same way you do not. But I agree with the broad principle of their action.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Crap shift hours though

What do you define as crap shift hours? I genuinely don't know what shifts they work so I'm interested to find out.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
If a Driver follows his own rota he'll do one week of early turns (these are where you book on from anything between 0445 until about 1200) and one week of late turns (starting from about 1300 onwards).

The longest shifts are eight and a half hours (including a thirty minute meal break) but there are some shorter turns too. Our working week is thirty-five hours (average) and you work five days out of seven – the work period is from Sunday to the following Saturday. Rest Days (non-working days) vary. Sometimes you get two together, some are split and occasionally you get four together (two from one week and two from the next all in one spell)

In fact most working weeks are about thirty-six and a half hours. These 'extra' hours are accumulated and additional annual leave days are allowed for this over a twelve-month period.

District Dave's London Underground Site

They also get free travel which saves a great deal.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
If a Driver follows his own rota he'll do one week of early turns (these are where you book on from anything between 0445 until about 1200) and one week of late turns (starting from about 1300 onwards).

The longest shifts are eight and a half hours (including a thirty minute meal break) but there are some shorter turns too. Our working week is thirty-five hours (average) and you work five days out of seven – the work period is from Sunday to the following Saturday. Rest Days (non-working days) vary. Sometimes you get two together, some are split and occasionally you get four together (two from one week and two from the next all in one spell)

In fact most working weeks are about thirty-six and a half hours. These 'extra' hours are accumulated and additional annual leave days are allowed for this over a twelve-month period.

District Dave's London Underground Site

They also get free travel which saves a great deal.

No night shifts then?

Maybe if you're used to 9-5 it looks a bit daunting, but a thirty five hour week of earlies or lates sounds perfectly do-able to me.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
They are striking because London Underground regard Boxing Day as a normal working day, which most people would agree is not a normal working day.
It would be interesting to see the agreement that LU are talking about, that ASLEF had previously signed up to which covers Bank Holiday cover.

Interesting that. I take it, as they are assuming they should get extra for working on the 26th, that they will be considering the official public holiday on 28th as a normal working day?

redneb

Oct 28, 2009
Burgess Hill
I think train drivers / tube drivers pay is a long standing joke in this country. The amount of pay you get should be governed by the sacrifices you make to get yourself in that position. Anythink over 40k should only be given to those whove studied on their own time, not on the job training and those who went through a bit of hardship to get there.

My wifes brother who is the worst skank ive ever met is on over 40k. Fair enough he's got some train skills or whatever, but he learnt them whilst doing his normal train guard day job, and he never paid for any courses or anything himself.

The reason these guys get paid so much is because London relies on them and theyve always had good unions. It' a national discrace in my opinion.

Utter CUNTS

I think train drivers / tube drivers pay is a long standing joke in this country. The amount of pay you get should be governed by the sacrifices you make to get yourself in that position. Anythink over 40k should only be given to those whove studied on their own time, not on the job training and those who went through a bit of hardship to get there.

My wifes brother who is the worst skank ive ever met is on over 40k. Fair enough he's got some train skills or whatever, but he learnt them whilst doing his normal train guard day job, and he never paid for any courses or anything himself.

The reason these guys get paid so much is because London relies on them and theyve always had good unions. It' a national discrace in my opinion.

Utter CUNTS

Just a thought but how would you categorise Lee Barnard using the same criteria you've applied to your brother in law:

Salary >£40K?
Self sacrifice?
Private, self financed study or on the job training?
Personal hardship (how is that poorly arm btw)?
Reliable employee (with possible extended break from work in the offing though)?
PFA member?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Embalmer?

20-27k per annum according to pay scale. Qualifications look straight forward, nothing outlandish required but aptitude is needed and the exams look rigorous. Tiution is mainly on the job. I'd say 27k is about right for this position.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
From the union's point of view letting LU set a precedent on paying normal rate on Boxing Day would undermine pay and conditions for their members. It also gives other employers the idea they can impose it on their staff next year and eventually everyone who works on a bank holiday wont get any extra.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here