Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Tube Drivers: What's The Deal? Average salary £37,800.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
after december when half of londons office bods were trying to find some bullshit reason for not going in and sit at home all day watching Dave just because trains werent running on time to the minute and they dont like getting on buses, for everyone to start moaning about a tube strike claiming it is destroying britains finances makes me laugh every time.
There is a certain truth to this.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
after december when half of londons office bods were trying to find some bullshit reason for not going in and sit at home all day watching Dave just because trains werent running on time to the minute and they dont like getting on buses, for everyone to start moaning about a tube strike claiming it is destroying britains finances makes me laugh every time.

"Bullshit reasons" like the trains not running at all from the South Coast to London ? What did you expect me to do, walk ? I worked from home when I couldn't get in, can often get more done with less disruption anyway. I like my work and quite frankly, most of the time I'd rather be in the office.

However, I have now had my "compensation" from Southern for the poor service over those days.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
"Bullshit reasons" like the trains not running at all from the South Coast to London ? What did you expect me to do, walk ? I worked from home when I couldn't get in, can often get more done with less disruption anyway. I like my work and quite frankly, most of the time I'd rather be in the office.

However, I have now had my "compensation" from Southern for the poor service over those days.

i am not talking about people who have to do 60 odd miles more like the bods who do 10. In the context of buses and tubes not long distance commuting. Even I am not stupid enough to think people who have no trains from sussex should be loading up landcruisers with kendall mintcake thermoses and blankets and 'giving it a go'.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
I live less than 3 miles from work in the town fella... am I one of your 'half of London' that don't want to go to work? I'm sure you must know, you are very well informed. :lolol:

Castello

Castello
May 28, 2009
Tottenham
I live less than 3 miles from work in the town fella... am I one of your 'half of London' that don't want to go to work? I'm sure you must know, you are very well informed. :lolol:

I live in North London and work in South East London a distance of 20 miles,not a short jog like 3 miles, and i got to work.

Or are you just one of those people that like to sit behind a keyboard passing judgement on anyone you disagree with, whilst being extremely precious when citicism may be directed your way.

I would also point out your allegation of vote rigging against Bob Crow is inaccurate and therefore potentially libellous. I've been a trade union activist for 30 years and i'd never heard of this one. So I did a search and came up with this (as I suspect you did).

Unions demand BBC apology on | Liberal Conspiracy

BBC News - Today - Rail dispute 'not over'

This isnt about election ballot rigging. it was about a court decision saying a strike ballot had been improperly conducted due to an error.

If however you have evidence of election ballot rigging, I suggest you pass it to any of the daily papers or Evening Standard, as they would love to know what your fertile imagination knows.

Until then I would suggest to you, as was originally pointed out, that Bob Crow was got 60% of the vote when he was elected, precisely because he represents his members interests (if not yours) so well.

Last edited:

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Beggin' yer pardon sir, hope you can forgive me? I knew it had something to do with voting irregularities, so I wasn't that far off really, was I?

Castello

Castello
May 28, 2009
Tottenham
Beggin' yer pardon sir, hope you can forgive me? I knew it had something to do with voting irregularities, so I wasn't that far off really, was I?

well actually yes it is. One is a mistake that led to a strike being called off. The other is a false allegation against a Trade Union leader of cheating to get elected in order to justify a right wing rant on working people fighting to protect their wages and working conditions. If you think they are closely related. you are stupider than you already look.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Thanks for your very wise words castello, another name calling ranter!

Interesting just this moment heard on the news that the Jubilee line is now able to go fully automated like the DLR whenever is necessary. Obviously Crowe has been whining about it. Bless him. Can't find anything about it on the BBC site right now but I'm sure a story will surface sooner or later.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
In this morning's Merto Boris is threatening to use driverless trains. I seem to recall large numbers of dockers and printers losing well paid livings as they were replaced by new technology.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
I haven't used the DLR but they have some sort of guard on the automated trains? Easy, drivers don't lose their jobs, they become those guards (or whatever they're called).

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Thanks for your very wise words castello, another name calling ranter!

Interesting just this moment heard on the news that the Jubilee line is now able to go fully automated like the DLR whenever is necessary. Obviously Crowe has been whining about it. Bless him. Can't find anything about it on the BBC site right now but I'm sure a story will surface sooner or later.

Fully automated? It has not f***ing ran at all for the past year when I've tried to f***ing use it.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Don't shoot the messenger!!

Jubilee has generally been shut at the weekends, perhaps this was the reason why?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Don't shoot the messenger!!

Jubilee has generally been shut at the weekends, perhaps this was the reason why?

Why? The extension was only opened a decade ago. Why do they need to shut it every weekend?

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Fully automated? It has not f***ing ran at all for the past year when I've tried to f***ing use it.

To be fair it seems to me that during rush hour it has a 'Guard' overseeing the main part of the journey hwoever during the day it is fully autimated. The technology is there and as I said early people who think they're indispensible can in fact be replaced by a machine. Technology is responsible for a lot of today's unemployments figure in areas like engineering as machines are cheaper, more reliable and more accurate than humans. Seems to me that it's assumed by many that mechanisation would find suitable work for such people but I don't think that is the case.

Might add that it used to take five airmen to pilot a plane across the Atlantic, now it just takes two and they don't do much apart from setting the instruments.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
To be fair it seems to me that during rush hour it has a 'Guard' overseeing the main part of the journey hwoever during the day it is fully autimated. The technology is there and as I said early people who think they're indispensible can in fact be replaced by a machine. Technology is responsible for a lot of today's unemployments figure in areas like engineering as machines are cheaper, more reliable and more accurate than humans. Seems to me that it's assumed by many that mechanisation would find suitable work for such people but I don't think that is the case.

Might add that it used to take five airmen to pilot a plane across the Atlantic, now it just takes two and they don't do much apart from setting the instruments.

Why are you telling me all this? My gripe is with the fact when I've tried to use it (about 5 times in the past year), it has always been shut down. Stick, wrong end, and not for the first time.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here