Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Trump

Theatre of Trees

Jul 5, 2003
TQ2905
Right...
So according to one opinion poll, nearly twice as many Leave voters explicitly backed Biden. Presumably 30 % weren’t that interested either way so only 1 in 4 told the opinion pollsters they backed Trump. Thanks

You are correct but it also shows the link between Trump and Leave. Whilst not everybody who supported Leave supports Trump, nearly all of those support Trump voted Leave.

Incidentally, Yougov was co-founded by Nadhim Zahawi

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
You are correct but it also shows the link between Trump and Leave. Whilst not everybody who supported Leave supports Trump, nearly all of those support Trump voted Leave.

Incidentally, Yougov was co-founded by Nadhim Zahawi

What’s your point ? My reasons for voting leave are not invalidated because of your opinion poll. It actually shows a big majority of leave voters who do not care for Trump at all. Perhaps concentrate on the arguments (in the Brexit thread) and stop using the Trump thread to make dog whistling allegations against the winning side in the referendum.

Last edited:

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
I'll start with education, seeing that I studied it, and I taught for 10 years - In Primary schools the classroom is nearly always set up for boys (consciously and subconsciously) for example the space for boys to play is nearly always in the middle of the room and takes up a lot a of space, while the girls are pushed into the corners. Also there is a often a competitive nature in education that benefits the masculine. Putting up hands to ask questions for example. I won't bore you with studies but they always show the same thing, that boys get way more attention from teachers than girls.

It's easier for a man to walk around and not get raped or sexually assaulted.

There's a pay gap between men and women in the UK.

How many male MP's are there compared to women? CEO's of companies etc?

Education is an interesting one. My missus is a primary head, and she doesn’t see that at all. Her concern is that primary aged boys have a lack of role models in the classroom as most teachers and TAs are women. The lack of opportunity certainly doesn’t play out in the stats for women and men going into higher education: 57% of university students are women.

As for the gender pay gap. This doesn’t exist when comparing similar jobs. Women do earn less overall, but that is down to a choice of career roles that pay less.

Theatre of Trees

Jul 5, 2003
TQ2905
What’s your point ? My reasons for voting leave are not invalidated because of your opinion poll. It actually shows a big majority of leave voters who do not care for Trump at all.

The point being you took umbrage at someone pointing out the links between Leave and Trump. This actually backs up some of your points you were making but it also backs up the arguments of others that you disagreed with and were getting tetchy with. In other words balancing things out.

You probably need to get over it.

Seriously, everytime you and others use this phrase it comes across as being thin skinned and touchy about the subject.

KeithDublin

Aug 23, 2019
Education is an interesting one. My missus is a primary head, and she doesn’t see that at all. Her concern is that primary aged boys have a lack of role models in the classroom as most teachers and TAs are women. The lack of opportunity certainly doesn’t play out in the stats for women and men going into higher education: 57% of university students are women.

As for the gender pay gap. This doesn’t exist when comparing similar jobs. Women do earn less overall, but that is down to a choice of career roles that pay less.

Why do you think that traditionally women's roles pay less?

Juan Albion

Chicken Sniffer 3rd Class
Nicked: Richard "Bigo" Barnett.

01e08305-d4ea-4ee5-9e93-45e755203d18_750x422.jpg

"Not guilty, your honor".
Exhibit #1: a note saying "Bigo was here" found on the Speaker's desk.
"Can you explain this, Mr Bigo?"

Doonhamer7

Jun 17, 2016

Where did you get that info that there in no gender pay gap!! It still exists in many way for people doing the same job

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Why do you think that traditionally women's roles pay less?

taking jobs that are part time, lower responsibilities, or less interest in high level senior positions. like for like the pay gap all but disappears. some role/age groups women are paid more.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
taking jobs that are part time, low responsibilities, or less interest in high level senior positions. like for like the pay gap all but disappears. some role/age groups women are paid more.

Career breaks for bringing up kids is also a factor. Many employers for example in the professions, favour the male who’s there for the long haul. Even though for legal reasons they’re never going to admit that.

I’m not condoning that, but it’s a reality.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Where did you get that info that there in no gender pay gap!! It still exists in many way for people doing the same job

ONS. In fact their summary states 'The gender pay gap remained close to zero for full-time employees aged under 40 years', and that isn't accounting for different career choices. Pay gap over 40 is down to a number of factors, but choices relating to family life is one of the major ones.

KeithDublin

Aug 23, 2019
taking jobs that are part time, lower responsibilities, or less interest in high level senior positions. like for like the pay gap all but disappears. some role/age groups women are paid more.

I was talking about traditional female role like nursing and teaching that get paid horribly, in part due to a society that traditionally see's these as secondary roles to the 'breadwinning' male roles.

You mention that women don't go for high level senior positions, do you think that's because of laziness or do you think perhaps that women are told not to take risks and go for those higher paying jobs?

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
ONS. In fact their summary states 'The gender pay gap remained close to zero for full-time employees aged under 40 years', and that isn't accounting for different career choices. Pay gap over 40 is down to a number of factors, but choices relating to family life is one of the major ones.

Always a good idea to post a link for things like this and also not to only quote sections that distort the truth.

The part you quoted went on to say that for over 40s the gap was over 10%.

https://www.ons.gov.uk/employmentan...s/genderpaygapintheuk/2020#the-gender-pay-gap

Juan Albion

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I don't see men's jobs or women's jobs, just jobs. Both men and women have the same opportunities to pursue whatever career they want to these days.

Having the same opportunity to pursue the same jobs probably doesn't equate to the same likelihood of getting them as that is dependent on the attitude of the decision maker for the employer!

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
What is Trump's connection to this?

To be honest, I haven't a clue as I haven't been following the thread all day. I'm guessing somewhere along the lines there has been some reference to patriarchal society and the orange one's attitude to everything. I just posted a response to Nwgull.

I'll go back a few pages and in the meantime hopefully the thread will get back on track!!!

Juan Albion

To be honest, I haven't a clue as I haven't been following the thread all day. I'm guessing somewhere along the lines there has been some reference to patriarchal society and the orange one's attitude to everything. I just posted a response to Nwgull.

I'll go back a few pages and in the meantime hopefully the thread will get back on track!!!

I was just being sarcy.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here