Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Transport watch - Cardiff game

ngood77

Aug 5, 2006
Got 28 from Lewes pre-match to The Swan, always easy, although the driver was adamant that my season ticket did not allow me to travel, ffs. I had to show him his OWN website to satisfy him.

28 going back was 10 minutes late, so that's not bad. Queues for trains were diabolical after the final whistle, and they need to clear a path for those walking over the footbridge to the A27 i.e. those not getting on the train.

One mate had S-bus aggro - no buses after FT, and waited ages for one to arrive. Other mate had a dream with Mill Road P&R. So long as they genuinely try and fix the niggles, all in all not a bad effort for first time with 25k.

Best of all, very easy to get a pint in the new ESU.

Barber out.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Coldean Lane was a nightmare coming down with the road works at the bottom, anyone know how long they are expected to be there?

How did Bridge car park work?

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Coldean Lane was a nightmare coming down with the road works at the bottom, anyone know how long they are expected to be there?

They're due to finish this week (although last time we had roadworks down there, they over-ran by about 8 weeks, so don't get your hopes up).

I have a good view of Coldean Lane from my house: there was still a queue of traffic going up the hill at 10.50 - that's not usual.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
They're due to finish this week (although last time we had roadworks down there, they over-ran by about 8 weeks, so don't get your hopes up).

I have a good view of Coldean Lane from my house: there was still a queue of traffic going up the hill at 10.50 - that's not usual.

Cheers, might give it a miss Saturday then (not that there's really too many choices as I need to get to Uni parking) maybe stay on the A27 and double back at Falmer?

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
Is it just the club that hasn't learned these lessons, or the supporters too? Give yourself enough time either side of the match and things will be fine.

Hmm, like getting to withdean at 615pm you mean? Then waiting ...... waiting...... (no advertised 623pm bus... 633.....643...), eventually got on an S bus at 712pm.....arrived in the stadium at 743pm! Wasn't worried but it is annoying wasting so much time.

nevergoagain

Jul 28, 2005
nowhere near Burgess Hill
I've decided to stop making a mad dash for the train at full time this season so stopped in WSL for a pint. Very pleasantly surprised that we wandered down to the station after that, still a big queue but everyone got on the next train. No problems at all for me.

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
No problems to report. The 18:28 from Lewes was certainly busier than normal, but still got it fine. Stayed for a pint after the game as normal and got straight on the first train once we wandered down the the station at just after ten.

kc1

Nov 11, 2011

How did Bridge car park work?

No real complaints from me.
The stewards controlled the flow, letting the majority of pedestrians get out of the way first. Then the cars started to move. The traffic sorted it self out pretty quick, biggest queue was turning right up Coldean Lane.
I left after final whistle and got home to Hassocks around 10:30pm, after dropping my parents off in Hollingdean.

No complaints from me. I left it later than usual and got the 1835 from Shoreham which was 3 minutes late. It was a struggle to get on, but somehow we squeezed even more on at Southwick, Fishersgate, Portslade and Aldrington. Not everyone on the platform at Hove made it on.

It was an old 3 coach train.

We joined the queue at Brighton about 7 just to see a train pulling out. We got on the 8 minutes past which was well crammed. This train also stopped at London Road which had a mobbed platform. I don't thing anyone boarded here.

We got in about 17 past to Falmer, but by the time we had boarded at Brighton the line was going to take at least 2 more trains to clear, with only the next one arriving in time. I can imagine those at London Road would have to wait til 8pm for a train with space.

Left bang on final whistle (ESL) and jogged to station. Just missed the cut off for the 1st train (2147?) which was an 8 car train. Was furious to see that the 2nd to back carriage had a few spare seats and loads of standing space and the back carriage had about 10 people in it full stop!!

Me and a 100 or so behind me could have been on that. Had I been I could have got the direct train from Brighton to Shoreham without changing at Hove and been home by 2220. As it happens I was back by 2250, so not bad at all.

They really need Marshals on these 8 car trains to move people down. It's just madness.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
R, S and P single bus line was once again a shambles.

I live less than four miles away in Rottingdean. Did not stay behind for a drink. Joined the queue straight away.

Got home at 11.20pm after one MAHOOSIVE bun fight.

When will the club just make an S stop and an R stop to prevent people using the uncertainty as an excuse to barge to the front?

Stuart Munday

Jul 6, 2003
Saltdean
From last night it seems that if you get to the station at 22.10 there will be people on the platform but you will get on the next train, only a 2 minute wait for us.

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
Bus from Lewes Road no 23 going out. Not Busy at all (lots of buses going along Lewes Road). Left at full time, jogged down to station for 21.57, but ended up on a full 21.45ish.

All seemed very orderly and organsied.

Stoichkov

The Miserable Bulgarian
Jul 26, 2004
Brighton
Got the bus into town and then a train to the ground - bus driver looked non-plussed and shrugged his shoulders when I waved my season ticket in front of him but he let me on without questioning it

decided to take the 'nature trail' back to woodingdean after the game. I can confirm there were MANY more slugs on the path which made a MESS of my sneakers. Looking forward to the club getting to grips with this slug issue

As an aside - whilst walking along the path, I witnessed 3/4 cyclists on the Falmer Road. In the dark with all that traffic and a load of buses its utter madness.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Bennett's Field Car Park. Out of the gates 30 mniutes after the whistle. 'Home' to Withdean by 10.20pm. Home to Chandlers Ford by 11.40pm. Not too bad.

Somebody else's BF experience was less satisfactory, mind. At the very top (far) corner of the car park, the same two cars are always parked in the same spots - presumably box holders or something. A purple jag and a Merc AMG. As we rounded that corner, we saw that the merc had taken a hit - the front corner of it was smashed up (headlight, bumper, front wing all f***ed) It had definitely happened there, as the glass, etc was on the floor. There were no stewards by it, and no-one else waiting by it, so I serioulsy hope whoever hit it, hadn't been an arse and just scarpered. Bang out of order if they did. Damage into thousands, for sure.

Last edited:

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
Just missed the cut off for the 1st train (2147?) which was an 8 car train. Was furious to see that the 2nd to back carriage had a few spare seats and loads of standing space and the back carriage had about 10 people in it full stop!!

Me and a 100 or so behind me could have been on that.
They really need Marshals on these 8 car trains to move people down. It's just madness.

I was in that last carriage, one of the last people let onto the platform and a whole 4 seat table to myself. In fairness to those marshalling they did keep telling everyone to move down but most seemed content to stand 8 deep in the middle.
I'm sure you know the platform is not long enough to open doors to the 8th car, and only a metre wide where the 7th stops. That widening the platform here should only take a few grand and a weeks work to build a retaining wall is alas irrelevant [someone else can explain how and why the railways have been fked up]

KRJ7

Jun 1, 2012
First evening game for me last night and i looked on it as a learning curve/experiment.

Not overly impressed though. Left the stadium on the final whistle and got back to Haywards Heath at 23:40! Getting to the stadium was less than an hour so no complaints on the outward journey at all.

Still, am going to save true judgment until after Saturday.

Have to say though, crowds aside, the management and organisation is very very well done.

#barberout - just getting stung now since his arrival - we are not a premier league club yet!!! £7 for a pint and a hot dog is ridiculous. I wonder how many get thrown away afterwards at thos prices. Didn't see a single person eating one thinking about it!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here