Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Transport watch - Cardiff game

junior

Dec 1, 2003
Didsbury, Manchester
No problems for me. Arrived in Brighton at about 6.30pm and parked easily in coledean. Got to the ground early to collect my ticket and marvel at the place as i've only been once before so i'm still coming to terms with the beauty of the place.

Left on the final whistle and got back to nottingham just before 2am having picked the dog up from my mothers near Blakers Park.

Worst bit of the journey was Coledean Lane and the roadworks at the bottom of the M1.

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
Uni Car Park worked a treat as usual. Left on the final whistle and home in Bristol by 00:30.

Decided to shell out the £250 (or whatever it is) this season - arrival was a bit slow (roadworks etc near the Hiker's Rest, plus general early evening traffic). However, getting away was superb - I was back home in Somerset by 00.15....better timing than in the Withdean days.

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
Incidentally, I always found Priestfield was the best ground for transport - easy on-street parking within 100 yds of the ground, and no probs getting away afterwards. How I long for those days....

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
No problem getting there as I had to meet brother in law in Brighton so caught the 7.08 from Brighton. Getting home was more of a problem son said it was better to get the bus than queue for train so went to catch the 25 outside the station but everyone that arrived was full then realized that they start outside the Amex at the uni so should have gone there to get it.

Then went and caught the train but missed the connection to Haywards Heath so caught the 11.02 and arrived in Haywards Heath at about 11.30 so shall have to look for other ways home than that. Is going via Lewes better at night and always worried of being stranded at Lewes with no train to Haywards Heath if the queue is bad.

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
People seriously need to have some "train etiquette" !! For example at Lewes before the match, people were coming down the stairs and waiting at the bottom, so the middle 2 coaches of the 4-car train were full, with the front and rear coaches with plenty of space. People also need to move down inside the train as well as soon as you get on - this includes if its the 8th coach which doesnt open at Falmer (get on the 7th and move down - loads of room !!)

Then went and caught the train but missed the connection to Haywards Heath so caught the 11.02 and arrived in Haywards Heath at about 11.30 so shall have to look for other ways home than that. Is going via Lewes better at night and always worried of being stranded at Lewes with no train to Haywards Heath if the queue is bad.

Last train from Lewes to Haywards Heath is 22.40, latest train you could get from Falmer is 22.28 to connect with the London train (Its doable, i left the North on the final whistle last night and was able to make this train). Gets into Haywards Heath at 22.58 - probably a good option for midweek games.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
We have a disabled parking space at the front of the new Bridge car park. Left on the final whistle and even though my wife can't walk very quickly it only took us 10 to 15 minutes to get down there and then another ten minutes before we were back on the road. Probably took a fair bit longer if you were parked at the back. Stewards allowed foot traffic through the tunnel when the lights were red and then when they turned green they gave priority to vehicular traffic. Very well managed. I avoided Coldean because it looked badly congested and drove down into town before turning back onto the A23 - absolutely no problem at all

BeardyChops

Jan 24, 2009
Uni parking pretty smooth.

Queues for Coldean Lane from the A27 were a lot longer last night than Ive seen before. Presumably a combination of evening traffic, more cars (for new car park?) and the roadworks. Think I might try staying on the A27 Eastbound and doubling back as suggested above.

Can't work out the how car parks are filled though. Last night got to the uni late, but was directed into car park 5. Whether I'm late or early I have seen no logic to which car park we get directed to!

Uwinsc

Aug 14, 2010
Horsham
Uni parking pretty smooth.

Queues for Coldean Lane from the A27 were a lot longer last night than Ive seen before. Presumably a combination of evening traffic, more cars (for new car park?) and the roadworks. Think I might try staying on the A27 Eastbound and doubling back as suggested above.

Can't work out the how car parks are filled though. Last night got to the uni late, but was directed into car park 5. Whether I'm late or early I have seen no logic to which car park we get directed to!

Same as us. I think car park 5 is left till last because before that it's used for blue badge holders earlier on. So they start at 4 then work their way up till 1 before coming back down to 5.

ac gull

Jul 7, 2003
midlands
Got to mill road park and ride at 6:20pm - walked in ground an hour and five minutes later - 30 minute wait for bus and 30 minute plus bus trip to ground re congestion on A27
Getting out was 20 minute wait for bus and 10 minute bus trip
Had car park space at uni last season, did not renew due to queues getting out after games, found train worked best for weekend games
Not sure what to do in future need fast getaway to midlands after evening games!
Maybe new car park is the solution, where is it in relation to the ground? Which side of A27 is it on?

KJP

Mar 2, 2011
Goring-by-Sea
Got a train just before 6 at durrington, pint in hand around 7.05

Left on final whistle, got 22.03 from Brighton, back to durrington by 22.33, earliest I've ever been home from an evening game

No problem getting there as I had to meet brother in law in Brighton so caught the 7.08 from Brighton. Getting home was more of a problem son said it was better to get the bus than queue for train so went to catch the 25 outside the station but everyone that arrived was full then realized that they start outside the Amex at the uni so should have gone there to get it.

As long as you can get a train from Falmer to Lewes and arrive in time to get the 2240 Lewes - Haywards Heath - London train, you'll have no problem. We left Dick's Bar at 10.20 and strolled down to the station and caught the connecting train without a problem. The station queues had all gone by then. The Lewes - Haywards Heath train gets to Haywards Heath at 2258.

If you want to make that connection, you certainly don't have to leave at the final whistle - unless you really think that standing in a long queue to get on to Falmer station will enhance your matchday experience.

Cheers ... getting out was a piece of cake, straight up Coldean Lane. Didn't do the Uni last year but assuming can't get in/out at the top end by the stadium?

That's good news then because turning right at the lights on the Lewes Road and getting up Coldean Lane was a complete arse after most games last season.

Landgull

Oct 30, 2009
I have to travel further than Haywards Heath so taking a chance of not being in the queue early is not an option as I have been stuck once before and had to find alternative connections.
The problem remains with staff not filling the trains at Falmer, which would allow clearing the queue quicker.
I managed to catch the final connecting train to Lewes but it arrived at platform 4. This meant crossing the bridge which took quite some time. Fortunately the 2240 to London was late and all ended well.

Redbourn Seagull

Jan 20, 2010
Travelled down from Cambridge for the game, getting to the game was no problem at all, very impressed, I used the Mill Road P&R. After the game I had to queue for about 30 minutes, but most stadiums have this problem so I was expecting it! I got back to Cambridge at 0100, it wasn't as bad as anticipated, will use the train for weekend fixtures, but the car is quicker for evening games!
Roll on Saturday!

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
About 30 mins. I prefer to be walking than waiting in a queue for a packed bus. And didn't fancy a post-match drink.

Me too. Might give that a go in future. Mostly use the train.. as someone else has said, many of the problems on that front could be eased by the fans. Don't stand by the doors. Fill the train up properly - particularly at Brighton Station. Gets on my wick that people (usually big groups of blokes) block off the doors even when others are pushing past them to stand in the aisle. It's only for 10 minutes FFS. Surely they can live without standing with their friends for that long..?

ngood77

Aug 5, 2006
Could somebody tell me how far the walking path goes, the one that tracks the railway line back towards Coldean ? Is there a straightforward route from the ground to the bottom of Coldean Lane ? Cheers

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here