Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Transport watch - Cardiff game

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
Comparison with the Olympic Park is interesting because it was also built on a 'no car' / 'use public transport' basis which is ok if you then spend the billions they did in East London to upgrade the infrastructure, most of which is permanent and considered part of the legacy / regeneration of the area.

There has not been a corresponding investment at Falmer apart from a revised road junction and some relatively minor improvements to the Station, plus the part time park and ride schemes.

Therefore the majority of fans have to plan their attendance at the Amex accordingly, especially now the capacity is approaching 30k so will need to allow a little more time after the game. Yes it would be great if The Amex were served by a huge rail and bus hub like at Stratford City but the reality is different. It amazes me that punters expect to get away from The Amex immediately after a game, given the very limited infrastructure available. It is not fair to compare it with the Olympic Park, however it does show what can be acheived if the right infrastructure is created. I am lucky to be able to wait, savour a pint and let the crowds subside. If we ever get 30k crowd it might have to be 2 pints, ho hum.

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
Comparison with the Olympic Park is interesting because it was also built on a 'no car' / 'use public transport' basis which is ok if you then spend the billions they did in East London to upgrade the infrastructure, most of which is permanent and considered part of the legacy / regeneration of the area.

There has not been a corresponding investment at Falmer apart from a revised road junction and some relatively minor improvements to the Station, plus the part time park and ride schemes.

Therefore the majority of fans have to plan their attendance at the Amex accordingly, especially now the capacity is approaching 30k so will need to allow a little more time after the game. Yes it would be great if The Amex were served by a huge rail and bus hub like at Stratford City but the reality is different. It amazes me that punters expect to get away from The Amex immediately after a game, given the very limited infrastructure available. It is not fair to compare it with the Olympic Park, however it does show what can be acheived if the right infrastructure is created. I am lucky to be able to wait, savour a pint and let the crowds subside. If we ever get 30k crowd it might have to be 2 pints, ho hum.

I believe a lot of the refrences are to the attitude of the crowd. Two of our experiences of the Olympics were on box hill, on the Saturday it took 1 and a half hours to get down a busy pathway, no one moaned, all was in good spirts.

On the Sunday due to heavy rain the path was closed, 3 hour diversion, no one moaned, all in good spirts.

Think it says a lot that many of us said, we wouldnt fancy the atmpsohere if it was a football crowd, certain elements are impatient and moan, one more great thing about the AMEX, so far no moaners within ear shot.

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
OK, the Transport Manager twitter feed has come to life - see below. 6 hours until ko, nothing like advance planning.

Transport Manager ‏[MENTION=5978]bhafc[/MENTION]transport
If you're heading for Mill Road don't delay we will be redirecting you to another site if MR gets full. Watch this space for updates.

Special bus services have been improved, timetable changed and extra buses on somes routes, and double deck buses on the route R services...

Here we go again. Hope all are looking forward to the new season. The stadium is looking amazing and using the transport couldn't be easier.

teaboy

Jul 5, 2003
My house
OK, the Transport Manager twitter feed has come to life - see below. 6 hours until ko, nothing like advance planning.

If you're heading for Mill Road don't delay we will be redirecting you to another site if MR gets full. Watch this space for updates.

Special bus services have been improved, timetable changed and extra buses on somes routes, and double deck buses on the route R services...

Here we go again. Hope all are looking forward to the new season. The stadium is looking amazing and using the transport couldn't be easier.

I think you'll find there has been advanced planning. That's why this is running BEFORE the match. What would have been the point of advising on rail delays yesterday?

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
I think you'll find there has been advanced planning. That's why this is running BEFORE the match. What would have been the point of advising on rail delays yesterday?

But these messages are clearly intended to influence travel behaviour. Not many will change their plans at this late stage.

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
Haywards Heath problem all sorted and fixed, just some minor problems whilst a normal service resumes. Couple of short-formations on London/Brighton services too.

Only problem is in the Southampton area, where there is a major signalling problem at Redbridge - which might affect some of our Welsh counterparts travelling on the "cheap" route this evening.

But these messages are clearly intended to influence travel behaviour. Not many will change their plans at this late stage.

Well, if a P&R is full for example then you can head to a different one, same for roads and rails....well maybe not for rails if your using a cheap advance but same can apply.

teaboy

Jul 5, 2003
My house

Not many people have started their journeys yet. Anyway, what's different in the overall tone of the message compared to last season? Essentially it says "leave plenty of time, use the transport provided (which has now been improved) and enjoy the game".

Daddies_Sauce

Falmer WSL, not a JCL
Jun 27, 2008
I believe that the S bus now goes straight to the Amex form the Grenadier, it was supposed to be the H bus, but they did not turn up either. Shambles, complete shambles. I guess the club must have been ‘surprised’ that all these supporters who are now having travel costs included in their ticket prices wanted to use the services that were supposed to have been laid on. Great game, good to be back, but the travel arrangements were a complete cock-up. Same happened at the start of last season, lessons have not been learnt.

Spimunk

Jun 17, 2011
West Sussex
Personally I've had a trouble free journey there and back. Went from Haywards Heath to Brighton at 6pm fine and no problems. Queued for a Brighton to Falmer train for 10 mins and got on fine. Arrived at 7pm.

Left on the final whistle and got straight on to a 25 bus no probs and then a 10:33pm train from Brighton back to Haywards Heath and will arrive in about 10 mins.

All was good for me.

Post-match train travel was pretty much without hassle for those of us who lingered in Dick's Bar (or elsewhere) until about 10.20pm. The 10.30-ish trains to both Lewes and Brighton seemed to clear the platforms of waiting passengers, with no-one queuing outside. An excellent experience.

Going to the game, I caught a half-empty 23 bus from Natal Road at about 6.30pm. Perfect.

teaboy

Jul 5, 2003
My house
I believe that the S bus now goes straight to the Amex form the Grenadier, it was supposed to be the H bus, but they did not turn up either. Shambles, complete shambles. I guess the club must have been ‘surprised’ that all these supporters who are now having travel costs included in their ticket prices wanted to use the services that were supposed to have been laid on. Great game, good to be back, but the travel arrangements were a complete cock-up. Same happened at the start of last season, lessons have not been learnt.

Is it just the club that hasn't learned these lessons, or the supporters too? Give yourself enough time either side of the match and things will be fine.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Travel was good tonight. Left work in Dorking at 5.15 arrived at the Amex 6.35. Got the 10.27 home no problem.

Best Foot Forward

Apr 29, 2008
Burgess Hill
chose to miss the early train rush and have a couple of pints after the game and then down to the station at around 1025 and straight on the Brighton train and then onto Burgess Hill. No queues.....no hassle

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here