Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Transport watch - Cardiff game

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
I think that your statement about walking being directly discouraged is scaremongering.

Last year my mates and I walked from Lewes to the ground and we shall continue to do so this year.

You might be concerned about the situation but throwing every conceivable negative into support for your opinion diminishes your argument.

Read my post again. It says walking etc. is INDIRECTLY discouraged. Good for you for walking. Last year you saved money by doing this, this year you don't. That is indirect discouragement. Last year I sometimes cycled from Lewes, sometimes got the train. This year I will get the train, unless delays are bad.

And please don't leave early folks, its not worth it.

I would be delighted to be proved wrong and it all work smoothly. But the club have essentially got away with a poor Transport Plan for the expansion, because the Council were politically scared of delaying things. It's great we have a bigger stadium and bigger crowds. But we may end up paying for it (indirectly) through worse travel conditions.

PG

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Read my post again. It says walking etc. is INDIRECTLY discouraged. Good for you for walking. Last year you saved money by doing this, this year you don't. That is indirect discouragement.

Nonsense. It's not discouragement at all. Discouraged means you put people off doing something. He will continue to walk, (as will I) so we haven't been discouraged, directly or indirectly.

Goring-by-Seagull

Jan 5, 2012
I'll be getting the 17:27 from Goring and going straight to the ground, no pint in Brighton for me today. Hopefully that should get me there for around half 6 so plenty of time to get the boy something in the shop and have a lovely pie.

My only worry is getting home, the last train from Brighton to goring is 23:14.. If I don't make it back to Brighton by then I'll have a pretty long walk with a 3yr old from West Worthing!

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
My view is that your post is scaremongering.

Rightly or wrongly, people should accept the fact that clearing a crowd of more than 25,000 is no easy task, and one that takes a bit of time. I think the scenarios you've suggested are the most extreme (I can't see everyone saying "Oh, I couldn't possibly stay after the game for a pint because it will cost me an extra 50p (or whatever it is)."

In the same way, I don't think the inclusion of travel in the ticket price will make much difference, because the travel vouchers were such good value (IMO) that most people that needed them, got them.

Sorry if the above sounds flippant, but I'm just trying to understand the point of this thread. As I alluded to before, there will be queues and it will be busy. Those who think there won't be are näive.

The point of the thread is to provide one source for pre-game travel news (delays etc) and for post-match reaction. I Twitter subscribe to the BHA Transport Manager but there has been little activity on it in the build up to the new season. @suspolfootball is great but transport is not his main concern.

PG

teaboy

Jul 5, 2003
My house
Post here any pre-match travel issues and then post-match reactions to how well the Amex transport system works.

There are more car parking spaces now but essentially no increase in capacity on public transport.
Cycling, walking and taxi have been indirectly discouraged by including travel in the ticket price.
We will have a record sized crowd.
Refreshment prices have been hiked, discouraging the policy of staggered arrivals and departures.
Evening games are notoriously more congested.

I don't want to scaremonger, but as a transport professional with 27 years experience, I am concerned.

Views?

PG

NO form of transport is being discouraged. To believe so is to suggest that travel arrangements are only based on financial cost while disregarding convenience, speed of overall journey and comfort. Would you rather stand in a long queue at a station then squeeze into a sweaty, crowded train, or take the same amount of time to cycle to the ground in much more relaxing circumstances without the detour to the station first?

Is the tiny amount of difference in the price of a pint really going to make you seriously inconvenience your travel plans for the sake of 1 or 2 drinks? If so you should probably go to a supermarket, drink at home then travel to the ground. MUCH cheaper.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Brighton and Hove Albion | News | Latest News | Latest News | Amex Travel Reminder for Tuesday

Ahead of Tuesday night's Amex opener against Cardiff City, all ticket holders are reminded that they are entitled to use either the club's matchday park-and-ride service or bus and/or train travel within the designated travel zone on matchdays throughout the 2012/13 season.

When arriving at the park-and-ride or using Brighton & Hove Buses and/or all rail services to and from the Amex, within the travel zone, all ticket holders need do is show their match ticket, smartcard or, if fans are collecting their ticket from the stadium, proof of ticket purchase.

For weekend or Bank Holiday home games kicking off at 3pm, the bus and train services will be available to Albion fans between 11.30am and 9pm; for midweek matchdays the service can be used between 4.15pm and 12 midnight. Those fans travelling from outside of the zone should purchase a ticket to the relevant station on the boundary, as per the map below.

Albion chief executive Paul Barber explained, "We have asked the travel companies to ensure all staff and drivers are fully briefed and aware that a season ticket, match ticket or proof of purchase entitles our fans to use their services within the travel zone.

"It's that simple: just show your season ticket, match ticket, or proof of purchase and you will be able to travel on Brighton & Hove Buses and all rail services in the travel zone."

Subsidised Travel Area
0,,10433~11057900,00.jpg

For those wishing to use the park-and-ride service, there are football park-and-ride sites for your use situated at:

• Mill Road, third exit off A23/A27 roundabout - Postcode BN1 8ZF
• Mithras House and Cockroft House, Lewes Road - Postcode BN2 4AT
• Brighton Racecourse - Postcode BN2 9XZ

The Mill Road site can only be accessed from the A23/A27 turn-off at Patcham and by driving west up Mill Road. You will not be allowed to enter Mill Road from the Hove turn-off from the A27.

Disabled drivers will be directed to spaces next to the park-and-ride bus pick-up points.

After the match you should go to the pick-up points in the stadium bus and coach park and the buses will then take you back to your car.

The park-and-ride buses will run from 12 noon on a Saturday and 5.30pm for evening matches, and run for 90 minutes after each match.

All cars must be removed from the Mill Road car park no later than two hours after the match.

Albion fans can also purchase subsidised seasonal car parking spaces at the new Bridge car park, located just off the A270. To book your space please contact the Customer Services team on 0845 873 0251.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
The point of the thread is to provide one source for pre-game travel news (delays etc) and for post-match reaction. I Twitter subscribe to the BHA Transport Manager but there has been little activity on it in the build up to the new season. @suspolfootball is great but transport is not his main concern.

PG

Ah, OK. Still don't really see the point of it, but I can see where you're coming from.

But you think if there are queues (which there will be), people will stick to just ONE thread?

Good luck with that.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010

les dynam

Oct 10, 2008
Hove
I'll be getting the 17:27 from Goring and going straight to the ground, no pint in Brighton for me today. Hopefully that should get me there for around half 6 so plenty of time to get the boy something in the shop and have a lovely pie.

My only worry is getting home, the last train from Brighton to goring is 23:14.. If I don't make it back to Brighton by then I'll have a pretty long walk with a 3yr old from West Worthing!

This is what happens when you scaremonger... this person is worried about getting from the ground back to the station by 11.14! That's almost TWO hours after the game finishes. You'll be able to leave after full time and catch the 10.14 mate - or an earlier service if there is one. Don't worry

J2 BHA

NSC Patron
Jul 28, 2004
I get the S bus back to Portslade and, with the likely increase in people using the buses, plan to stay and have a pint after the game tonight before I get the bus. It says on the official site that buses run for 90 minutes after the game but does this mean the last one leaves The Amex 90 minutes after the game or that the last one will get to the end of the S route 90 minutes after the game :dunce:

If anyone had experience of stopping for a beer or two after the game last year can they advise when the first S buses get back for their second run and what sort of time the last S bus leaves The Amex please?

Cheers

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
I walked to and from the AMEX for the Chelsea and Reading games, I live near Withdean stadium. Rather enjoyed it and it takes just over an hour. I think I will continue to do this (Until it is fuckin 'orrible weather in mid winter). I am probably over half way home by the time I would have got on a train. I would urge others to walk too if you live under an hour from the ground, also means you can have a guilt free pie :)

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
This is what happens when you scaremonger... this person is worried about getting from the ground back to the station by 11.14! That's almost TWO hours after the game finishes. You'll be able to leave after full time and catch the 10.14 mate - or an earlier service if there is one. Don't worry

Aren't you being a wee bit over-optimistic there?

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
I cycled, walked, used bus, park and ride and train last year.

All systems are fine, some require you to queue for 20 mins - 30 mins max. But you can talk to people (home and away fans) around you, read the programme TSLR, catch up with NSC on your phone. They have everyone awayfrom the ground who wants to go within an hour, this is quicker than the Olympics park this summer and no one moaned there.

We still get back home about the same time as we did from Withdean.

byf1

Mar 22, 2012
Parking in Coldean tonight due to old man not wanting to get the train/bus, they havent made it residential yet have they?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here