Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Tour de France 2020

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Excellent performance by the young Swiss rider yesterday, and well deserved after his couple of other attempts at the win. Could be a real star in the making.

Today's stage should be a belter - according to route director Thierry Gouvenou, its the hardest one in the race this year. Should be stunning as well, going through the Auvergne & Puy de Dome region.

View attachment 128203

I've got a few jobs to do but I'm in for the long haul today.

Esp as it's the first day in 6 months I finally have both kids off at school. :rave:

On a completely separate note, I have Monday and Tuesday off on holiday. :lol:

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
I've got a few jobs to do but I'm in for the long haul today.

Esp as it's the first day in 6 months I finally have both kids off at school. :rave:

On a completely separate note, I have Monday and Tuesday off on holiday. :lol:

Not watched a single minute "Live" so far Stat - I usually take a day off with a mate to go for a ride in the morning and then sit and watch the stage together...just not happened though so far this year :down:

Enjoy today's lumpy one! :cool:

Jesus Gul

Feb 23, 2004
YD4hxfCyg9tpPHk6XNgfUZ-650-80.jpg

Vamooooooooos!!!

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Hirshi on course for a stage win.

Not so along ago he broke away from the lead group, but riddled with infighting, none of the others are making the move. Eurosport are scathing ... they can’t believe with the calibre of riders in that group, that they’re all playing politics with each other.

That was so fully deserved, and he looks a real talent. I'm really enjoying this Tour, and it shows what happens when Ineos'/Sky's grip is broken that, all of a sudden, a million flowers bloom. This is the Tour where new riders have the stage to shine.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Excellent performance by the young Swiss rider yesterday, and well deserved after his couple of other attempts at the win. Could be a real star in the making.

Today's stage should be a belter - according to route director Thierry Gouvenou, its the hardest one in the race this year. Should be stunning as well, going through the Auvergne & Puy de Dome region.

View attachment 128203

Thanks for posting. That attachment just reconfirms how much I love France -- the Tour is the perfect vehicle to showcase its stunning geography.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Not watched a single minute "Live" so far Stat - I usually take a day off with a mate to go for a ride in the morning and then sit and watch the stage together...just not happened though so far this year :down:

Enjoy today's lumpy one! :cool:

I've barely watched a single live minute of any Tours, let alone this one. I think the highlights on ITV4 is one of the best sports shows around. I suspect I'll have to wait until retirement until I get to see a live stage/Tour. Still, something to look forward to.

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
I've barely watched a single live minute of any Tours, let alone this one. I think the highlights on ITV4 is one of the best sports shows around. I suspect I'll have to wait until retirement until I get to see a live stage/Tour. Still, something to look forward to.

I watched the stage in Goudhurst, Kent when the Tour started in London 10 or so years ago. It was incredible. The thing that
struck me was how quiet the peloton was. I suppose the bikes are so well built that there's no friction. It was just like a mild
breeze passing through with lots of colour.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
That was so fully deserved, and he looks a real talent. I'm really enjoying this Tour, and it shows what happens when Ineos'/Sky's grip is broken that, all of a sudden, a million flowers bloom. This is the Tour where new riders have the stage to shine.

Same here, loving it.

Two separate periods in both The Alps and Massif Central must be unprecedented.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Stunning scenery today.

We're in hydroelectric power country.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Bardet and Alaphilippe seem to have a hellish day, every other day.

So much hype, even on Eurosport, I suspect the cycling media would love 45 years of hurt to end for France?

For a team like Ineos, even though a Frenchman may not be the strongest contender, to win with one would surely be worldwide exposure and press coverage like no other? If the team can get Thomas to win the thing, they would surely have a chance at getting Bardet or Alaphilippe onto the top step. The rewards for doing that would surely be huge? (and may stop their support team getting kicked and spat on by the locals :shrug:)

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
For a team like Ineos, even though a Frenchman may not be the strongest contender, to win with one would surely be worldwide exposure and press coverage like no other? If the team can get Thomas to win the thing, they would surely have a chance at getting Bardet or Alaphilippe onto the top step. The rewards for doing that would surely be huge? (and may stop their support team getting kicked and spat on by the locals :shrug:)

I’ve always thought the same, Sky/Ineos with a genuine French GC contender, would finally be accepted by the spitters and urine chuckers.

Shouldn’t have to be that way.

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
Bernal has announced he wont be starting today's Queen stage in the Alps. Really disappointing Tour for the defending champ, and for Ineos as well.
Shame he couldn't make it to Paris on Sunday though.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Bernal has announced he wont be starting today's Queen stage in the Alps. Really disappointing Tour for the defending champ, and for Ineos as well.
Shame he couldn't make it to Paris on Sunday though.

Maybe I need to find out more about this, but my first reaction is what an absolute disrespectful action to drop out of the race because you're out of contention. There doesn't appear to be any injury, just saving him for races to come. Le Tour is Le Tour, if you can finish it, you finish it. Not good to leave 2 winners out of your squad, then have your leader drop out. If everyone who wasn't in contention simply gave up where would the Tour be!!??

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here