Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Tour de France 2020

Algernon

Sep 9, 2012
Newmarket.
I've just watched yesterday's stage on catch-up and between 3km and 1km to go they were, at one point, hammering along on the flat at 67kmh (41mph).
Even down the admittedly slight hills around here I doubt I manage to get anywhere near 41mph. Do love any tail wind though.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I've just watched yesterday's stage on catch-up and between 3km and 1km to go they were, at one point, hammering along on the flat at 67kmh (41mph).
Even down the admittedly slight hills around here I doubt I manage to get anywhere near 41mph. Do love any tail wind though.

According to the Hove MP that's a maximum of 8mph faster than the 'lycra warriors' ride along Brighton seafront.

#KnowNothingTwat.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
According to the Hove MP that's a maximum of 8mph faster than the 'lycra warriors' ride along Brighton seafront.

#KnowNothingTwat.

Really? Is Kyle giving us grief? Jeez.

I sympathise with pedestrians. If only we'd learn to build the cycle lanes into the road systems properly then we'd have decent transport infrastructure.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Really? Is Kyle giving us grief? Jeez.

I sympathise with pedestrians. If only we'd learn to build the cycle lanes into the road systems properly then we'd have decent transport infrastructure.

He wrote a contradictory puff piece about the cycle lane.

"We need a park and ride"
"We need consultation on new transport projects"
"Electric scooters are great and so fast I overtook a skateboarder, thrilling"
"Cars are too slow going through town"
"Angry lycra clad cyclists riding over the speed limit".

Yadda Yadda Yadda

It's in one of the other 'kill all cyclists' threads.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I think we may see a French winner this year.

I'm whispering it quietly but I think Pinot could do it.

The French will go mad, pile onto the streets, and then it really will be a COVID nightmare.

Well, he made it to stage 5 in contention...:cool:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I only just found out that the great Paul Sherwen had passed away, back in December 2018. Just 62 years young.

His brilliant C4 double act with Phil Liggett got me hooked on watching the world’s elite in 1986, the days of LeMond, Roche, Fignon, Kelly and Delgado.

A belated RIP Paul.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Loving this climb, the GC race has come alive. Up to a 14% gradient, but Bernal looks cool!

Only 14%

Come back to me when it's in the 20's
(And after you've built a time machine and gone back about 5 years)

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
Back from my week away & enjoying the race so far...even though I've had to put up with ITV4 highlights. Back to ES & Monsieur Kirby this week me thinks.

* Roglic, Pogacar, Bernal all looking cool as cucumbers...

* Pinot may as well pack his bags & go back to his goats...(I think we may see him retire this season anyway tbh)

* Martin & Bardet giving the French public some hope going into week 2...

* Im still crap at Fantasy GT's

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
Got to feel terrible for Herschi there. Tried everything and came so close.
I never really know how far to trust these incredible individual rides...but when at least part of it is based on balls-out descending like that, I feel like you can safely give some credit to the bravery and skill of the rider!

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
I never really know how far to trust these incredible individual rides...but when at least part of it is based on balls-out descending like that, I feel like you can safely give some credit to the bravery and skill of the rider!

Should just give Hirschi the award for most combative rider straight away. To do a solo breakaway like that, descend like that and still try for the sprint is superb. Loved seeing him tightening his shoes and know he meant business.

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach

Especially if you have him in your Fantasy team....:ohmy::facepalm::rolleyes:

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
What a photo. The story of yesterdays superb sprint in one image.

Had to chuckle at the Sagan / Bora fan facing the other way though as Sagan zips past him on the line! Waited all day to see his hero...... :lolol::facepalm:

20200910_072803.jpg

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Hirshi on course for a stage win.

Not so along ago he broke away from the lead group, but riddled with infighting, none of the others are making the move. Eurosport are scathing ... they can’t believe with the calibre of riders in that group, that they’re all playing politics with each other.

Fitzcarraldo

Nov 12, 2010
Quality stage. Chapeau Hirschi. Seems incredible that is his first PRO win considering how strong he looks.

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
Excellent performance by the young Swiss rider yesterday, and well deserved after his couple of other attempts at the win. Could be a real star in the making.

Today's stage should be a belter - according to route director Thierry Gouvenou, its the hardest one in the race this year. Should be stunning as well, going through the Auvergne & Puy de Dome region.

20200911_081457_resized.jpg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here