Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Tory meltdown finally arrived [was: incoming]...

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
He had conscription available to him.
Are you volunteering to return?

I think you realised I was referring to the spirit of the folks on the street.

Still, I'll sign up if needed.

p01lz1hw.jpg

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Don’t worry, Liz Truss is being prepared for Prime Minister as soon as the backbenchers stab Johnson in the back.
She’s already had her ‘power photos’ done, and already threatening Russia with ‘force’ if they invade Ukraine.

Britain now has as much force as a wet paper bag, after all the Tory defence cuts.
Buy a log burner and a good saw, for when the Russians turn off the gas pipeline.

If the Russians turn off the gas pipeline there will be equally serious repercussions throughout Europe. Only France with its nuclear power is not entirely dependent upon Russia. Although perhaps the likes of Poland with coal could mitigate some of the effects. Germany would have most to worry about as it is already forecast to ‘run out’ of electricity in a few years time because of the speed with which it has replaced sufficient coal fired power stations with insufficient wind power. That’s what this is all about. It is a game of chicken between Russia (Gazprom really) and the German Green Party over Nordstream 2. The rest of us are just collateral damage.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I wasn't planning of doing so but OK, I'll play. Although I do think this belongs in the Brexit thread.

Firstly, we've not left Europe - we've left a political union called the EU. We're still part of Europe. You may not agree with us leaving nor agree that 'Brexit has been done' BUT we're no longer members of the EU.

There's been a number of posts about 'Brexiteers running away' - I obviously paraphrase. It's because most of us, and I'm slightly hesitant to speak for others, just wanted to leave an organisation that prevented us from controlling ALL our own affairs. We have left - job done. That includes who we let in to the country - not how many. As a member of the EU we couldn't properly control who came in. I don't care about the numbers - double or triple them for all I care, just make sure they are the right people to benefit our country and economy.

Equally, the world has moved towards a less conglomerate perspective - more nationalistic if you like - viewpoint. There is nothing wrong with that. Even the UK will break up shortly no doubt. But what that does is put power closer to the normal person. Centralisation is a crap idea - power locally is good. The EU is all about centralisation - ECB, decisions on legal issues, and while some will decry it as a lie, an EU army - controlled by the EU not individual nations - with NATO the individual nations control what their armed forces do. And before anyone slaps me down on that point, both Macron and Merkel ( although she's now gone ) have suggested that is the direction of travel.

Covid aside, it is still very easy to travel and live in the EU member states. I say that as someone that owns a house in France. Generally there has been no effect on most peoples lives.

That's fair enough that you have the independence that you wanted, but we still have to sort out the unimplementable Northern Ireland Protocol, the new raft of export regulations in a weeks time and we still have no import controls in place, so you can probably see why a large number of people don't think 'Brexit is done'.

And as for having no effect on people's lives, have you seen what it has done to our GDP, Fishing industry, Agriculture industry, Logistics, Anyone who exports, etc etc I think that there are large numbers of people who own and run businesses who have been catastrophically effected. I appreciate that working for a large organisation, any effect is likely to be delayed.

You have mentioned a couple of times now about the house you have recently inherited in France, have you had a chance to visit it yet ? (I agree that this would be best continued on the Brexit thread, so I've put it there :thumbsup:)

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
If the Russians turn off the gas pipeline there will be equally serious repercussions throughout Europe. Only France with its nuclear power is not entirely dependent upon Russia. Although perhaps the likes of Poland with coal could mitigate some of the effects. Germany would have most to worry about as it is already forecast to ‘run out’ of electricity in a few years time because of the speed with which it has replaced sufficient coal fired power stations with insufficient wind power. That’s what this is all about. It is a game of chicken between Russia (Gazprom really) and the German Green Party over Nordstream 2. The rest of us are just collateral damage.

If it really is a game of chicken between the German Green Party, a minority partner in the German Bundestag (comprising just 28% of the Government and 16% of the Parliament), who are a member state of the EU and Russia/Gazprom then I know who I'm betting on!

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
If it really is a game of chicken between the German Green Party, a minority partner in the German Bundestag (comprising just 28% of the Government and 16% of the Parliament), who are a member state of the EU and Russia/Gazprom then I know who I'm betting on!

Of course, and sarcasm aside, Germany will fold. The fact that they are a minority partner is irrelevant really. Their agreement is necessary for decision making.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

its far more petty than that. Germany wont approve the corporation that owns and operates Nordstream 2 as its Swiss based, then has to go over all the paperwork of the new corporation. it'll be approved of course, just not until summer.

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
'Brexit: One year on, the economic impact is starting to show'.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-59761292

Make of it what you will, but for those who don't want to read it, here is an executive summary from the coalface:

'Frustrating. Scary. Huge drop in sales. Rendered uncompetitive in Europe.'

Don't shoot the messenger!

Because the pro - Remain BBC doesn't have an agenda, like every other media outlet that is/was pro Remain or Leave.

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
ALL?

Do you have the official stats because I am aware of quite a lot of Polish workers, still happily working here in the industry?

Quite a lot still here? Brexit couldn't have been very successful then. I thought a load returned to Poland after the Brexit vote, as their wages suddenly didn't buy as many Euros.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Because the pro - Remain BBC doesn't have an agenda, like every other media outlet that is/was pro Remain or Leave.

You do realise they are reporting on figures from the British Chamber of Commerce, right?

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
Erm no they have not. When was the last time you went into a care home? Lots of great Polish and other non Brits still here doing our low paid shitty jobs that we are too good for

The last time I went into a care home was just before my mother died in November 2020. I can assure you that the Eastern European staff had left before that.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Quite a lot still here? Brexit couldn't have been very successful then. I thought a load returned to Poland after the Brexit vote, as their wages suddenly didn't buy as many Euros.

I feel that the problems with some arguments are the blanket 'ALL' comments that are both factually incorrect and scaremongering. Factual evidence makes for a more friendly, balanced discussion.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here