Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Tory meltdown finally arrived [was: incoming]...

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
IMG-20211222-WA0002.jpg

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Not a great tweet.

I've seen that photo before and I'm pretty certain those in it have been shot and killed ( my rusty memory thinks it was in Luhansk or Donetsk).

Last edited:

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
I’ve been to hundreds of work meetings where alcohol and food were served. Not sure why that is what people are focusing on. It’s often how business works. The difference is that I haven’t done it in a pandemic.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Think this is a decent enough summary that begins Rafael Behr's article:

Boris Johnson rose to the top by getting people to like him. His problems are the result of them subsequently getting to know him.

See: https://www.theguardian.com/comment...ffed-boris-johnson-covid-restrictions-freedom

Good post. I doubt I'll read a better paragraph this month than...........

Those are the different stages of cakeism, from insouciance to paralysis, via denial. At its core sits monumental arrogance – a feeling of superiority to forces that constrain the inferior class of politician who submits to history instead of mastering it. From that vanity it follows that rules are for the little people. Helmsmen of history are allowed to unwind over cheese and wine on the Downing Street terrace, even while the families of Covid victims hold funerals by Zoom..

............and yet, still there are people who believe he's on the side of the little guy because he got Brexit done, tells a good joke and doesn't like wokies.

Danny Wilson Said

May 2, 2020
Palookaville

Those are the different stages of cakeism, from insouciance to paralysis, via denial. At its core sits monumental arrogance – a feeling of superiority to forces that constrain the inferior class of politician who submits to history instead of mastering it. From that vanity it follows that rules are for the little people. Helmsmen of history are allowed to unwind over cheese and wine on the Downing Street terrace, even while the families of Covid victims hold funerals by Zoom..

............and yet, still there are people who believe he's on the side of the little guy because he got Brexit done, tells a good joke and doesn't like wokies.

I liked this:

"It is a particular type of corruption, common to revolutionary regimes that have lost ideological momentum. It is the decadent stage that comes when the party elite has understood that the utopia they promised is unattainable, but is enjoying the trappings of power too much to break the bad news to the people in whose name they seized power."

The difference is that Johnson and his cabal knew all along that Brexit was never going to work as they claimed, because that was never the idea - the aims were for their rich mates to avoid paying tax on offshore earnings and for a Tory government to avoid having to bring pensions up to EU levels. But they can't tell the red wall voters who put them in to 'get Brexit done'.

Last edited:

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways

'Helmsman of history' I particularly liked

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Mark Drakeford absolutely brutal sticking the boot in this afternoon over the lack of covid restrictions in England, describing the government as in 'paralysis'.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Mark Drakeford absolutely brutal sticking the boot in this afternoon over the lack of covid restrictions in England, describing the government as in 'paralysis'.

Johnson can't actually do anything because of the lunatic fringe in his party that saw any further measures as an erosion of civil liberties and anti democratic....... they don't mind laws that require photo ID for the democratic right to vote though.

D

Deleted member 22389

I think lots of people are being careful anyway. We know the drill after last time. I trust people are testing, keeping their distance, washing hands and wearing masks.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Johnson can't actually do anything because of the lunatic fringe in his party that saw any further measures as an erosion of civil liberties and anti democratic....... they don't mind laws that require photo ID for the democratic right to vote though.

Woah woah woah woah. Woah.

Double standards? From the Tory party?

I am shocked. Shocked.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003

And is a lunatic fringe as you say. No wonder so many have been driven to conspiracy theories on Facebook.

As lunatic as the one on the far left of the Labour Party that spent it's entire career campaigning against the EU, then apparently changed it's mind when the opposing party wanted the same.

If only their constituents would wise up and throw these tribal ideological self entitled hypocrites out of public life, the country would be in a far better place.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
And is a lunatic fringe as you say. No wonder so many have been driven to conspiracy theories on Facebook.

As lunatic as the one on the far left of the Labour Party that spent it's entire career campaigning against the EU, then apparently changed it's mind when the opposing party wanted the same.

If only their constituents would wise up and throw these tribal ideological self entitled hypocrites out of public life, the country would be in a far better place.
Vive La Revolution!

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
The difference is that Johnson and his cabal knew all along that Brexit was never going to work as they claimed, because that was never the idea - the aims were for their rich mates to avoid paying tax on offshore earnings and for a Tory government to avoid having to bring pensions up to EU levels. But they can't tell the red wall voters who put them in to 'get Brexit done'.

I don't buy that particular theory. However, there was definitely an ideological agenda where leaving the EU was simply a means to an end because of it's regulation.

I think it was about the fantasy of turning the UK into a low regulation, low tax, low spending Singapore style economy. Possibly making the UK itself a tax haven to encourage foreign investment.

Farmers and manufacturing to them are just a drain on the state. Food and products can be manufactured cheaper abroad and imported. Financial services, technology and science are where the country should be.

However, such a plan was unpalatable to the majority of the population so the central politicians and financers who believed in the vision were quite happy to allow the EU to be presented as the source of all evil.

Where it has completely unravelled is millions of people they encouraged to support them very ones being sold down the river. They have started to wise up. Not so much in that they have changed their minds about Brexit, but everything about the fact they are currently being shat on.

Ironically, those concerned about "freedom of movement" and immigration levels will be shocked to know that such an economy will completely rely on mass cheap immigrant labour, willing to work with less rights.

No wonder they wanted control of the borders.

The biggest political con in my lifetime, but they pulled it off. For now.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here