Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Tory meltdown finally arrived [was: incoming]...

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
You mean loath (or loth - there are two spellings, but loath is more common). It's definitely not loathe though, that's the verb

Ah, I didn’t know that. Thank you, I’m afraid I’ve been rather clumsy.

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
A Tory MP and arch critic of Boris Johnson has sparked a backlash from Brexiters after suggesting Britain rejoin the EU’s single market to help ease the cost of living crisis.

Tobias Ellwood’s comments were seized upon by allies of the prime minister as evidence that deposing him would threaten the country’s more distant relationship with Brussels.

In a call for more radical thinking to “energise our economy through these stormy waters”, Ellwood said the government should “better maximise our Brexit fortunes”.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
It is quite funny having to educate people about how the Conservatives have a very long history of attempting to remove their leaders (or the PM) before the electorate have a chance.

1975 - Thatcher challenges and defeats Heath in a leadership election.

1979 - Thatcher leads a no confidence motion against the Callaghan Government.

1989 - Sir Anthony Meyer challengers Thatcher for the leadership.

1990 - Heseltine challenges Thatcher again, leading to John Major becoming PM.

1995 - John Major initiates leadership election as PM, beating his opponent John Redwood.

2013 - At least 30 Tory MPs send letters to 1922 committee declaring no confidence in Cameron Leadership.

.. and I won't bore anyone about Theresa May.

Of the 10 post-war Tory PMs*, only three (Major, Heath & Douglas-Home) have been removed from office by the electorate. All of the others were either bought down internally or resigned (often under internal pressure) plus one still clinging to the job.

*Not including Churchill 1945 as (a) this was technically the end of a national Government and "the Conservatives" weren't in power and (b) the war hadn't yet finished

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Of the 10 post-war Tory PMs*, only three (Major, Heath & Douglas-Home) have been removed from office by the electorate. All of the others were either bought down internally or resigned (often under internal pressure) plus one still clinging to the job.

*Not including Churchill 1945 as (a) this was technically the end of a national Government and "the Conservatives" weren't in power and (b) the war hadn't yet finished

Please, stop posting facts. There is a war on.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Of the 10 post-war Tory PMs*, only three (Major, Heath & Douglas-Home) have been removed from office by the electorate.

The Heath removal is not that clear-cut either. He actually garnered more votes than Wilson but Labour ended up with four more seats - although short of a majorty. Heath couldn't reach an agreement with the Liberals, which Wilson did, so we ended up with a minority Labour government. But you could say that it was Jeremy Thorpe who removed Heath, and not the electorate.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
"The public want to move on" latest

[tweet]1532660093489119233[/tweet]

Of course this is a crowd of people who've turned up to watch a church service for the Queen. Hardly a hotbed of leftist activity I'd have thought.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla

Of course this is a crowd of people who've turned up to watch a church service for the Queen. Hardly a hotbed of leftist activity I'd have thought.
The very minimum needed to "move on" and to draw a line under this whole sorry saga is for Johnson to go.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST

Good. This needs to happen everywhere he goes until he ****s off.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Well that vid seems to dispel the break up rumour.

I see the fat lying messy bungle**** can't even manage a straight tie.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Well that vid seems to dispel the break up rumour.

I see the fat lying messy bungle**** can't even manage a straight tie.

She seems to have scarpered as soon as they got in the Guildhall.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
The Prime Minister had the honour of delivering the New Testament reading during the National Service of Thanksgiving for ERII.

The reading was taken from Paul's letter to the church at Philippi and contained the following verse:

"Finally, beloved, whatever is true, whatever is honourable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is pleasing, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence and if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things." (Philippians 4:8)

Whatever one's theological views are, truth, honour, justice and purity are important.

Pleasing, commendable, excellent and praiseworthy actions are also crucial.

I hope the Prime Minister has time to sincerely reflect on the words he read and consider where he stands in relation to them.

Truth and honour should govern his decisions, including whether the office he currently holds is one that he should continue holding.

And it is often better to make these decisions individually than face the possibility of having them made for you.

Last edited:

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria

"Some" - that's a very British understatement. Sounded pretty loud to me.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
The Prime Minister had the honour of delivering the New Testament reading during the National Service of Thanksgiving for ERII.

The reading was taken from Paul's letter to the church at Philippi and contained the following verse:

"Finally, beloved, whatever is true, whatever is honourable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is pleasing, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence and if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things." (Philippians 4:8)

Whatever one's theological views are, truth, honour, justice and purity are important.

Pleasing, commendable, excellent and praiseworthy actions are also crucial.

I hope the Prime Minister has time to sincerely reflect on the words he read and consider where he stands in relation to them.

Truth and honour should govern his decisions, including whether the office he currently holds is one that he should continue holding.

And it is often better to make these decisions individually than face the possibility of having them made for you.

Do we know if he happened to mention the world beating vaccination roll out, at all?

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
That booing is a really bad look for him. If you don't have the royalist crowd as a Tory PM then you're truly ****ed. More no confidence letters incoming I expect.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
For me it’s getting to the stage of just letting the Conservative Party shread themselves. There is no way that anyone would be stupid enough* to vote for them in their present incarnation, they’re so ludicrous and insular it’s actually becoming a freak show to observe. Just keep giving them enough rope.

*They will still get votes, some folk are so entrenched in their views that they’ll vote Conservative no matter what.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here