Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Tory meltdown finally arrived [was: incoming]...

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
You are Tobias Ellwood and I claim my £5 :p

[tweet]1532019589349101571[/tweet]

That would be political suicide for any Tory leader. For every person who says they knew exactly what they voted for, there are loads that voted to shove two fingers up to the EU. The mechanics don't bother them. Twitter is full of people backing Johnson because he "Got Brexit done". The fact he hasn't fully and NI is a cluster**** is irrelevant to them. Rejoining the single market could mean £10000 bonus payments to everyone and they would still say no. Brexit for a lot was a state of mind - not a set of complicated factors. Anything that could be seen as backsliding from this would see Frogface and his merry band of miscreants taking purple clothes to the dry cleaners again.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
That would be political suicide for any Tory leader. For every person who says they knew exactly what they voted for, there are loads that voted to shove two fingers up to the EU. The mechanics don't bother them. Twitter is full of people backing Johnson because he "Got Brexit done". The fact he hasn't fully and NI is a cluster**** is irrelevant to them. Rejoining the single market could mean £10000 bonus payments to everyone and they would still say no. Brexit for a lot was a state of mind - not a set of complicated factors. Anything that could be seen as backsliding from this would see Frogface and his merry band of miscreants taking purple clothes to the dry cleaners again.
I'd like to think that people are very slowly waking up to the fact that Brexit is a massive negative to our trade and industry. Just thee us this strange omerta that means the press and TV commentators hardly mention it being the disaster it is ..so anyone who has the balls to put clear water between the Tory Brexit loons and Johnson could have a head start collecting disaffected Tory voters....its a good move and shows that the return of Imperial measurements might be the lowest point of Johnsons reign...and the return of commonsense.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Hmm.

A lot to unpack with today’s Boris Johnson interview for Mumsnet. It starts off fairly skewering him. But then melts into a homely and at times, sycophantic and chummy conversation.

You can see how he wins people round. I was almost courted into a begrudging empathy for the man until my senses kicked in again and I realised “you’re a ****ing liar”.

Ultimately I came away feeling dirty. Like I’d been groomed. Because he almost had me fooled at times.

I’m loathed to say it, because I know he’s a rancid, lying, deceitful bin-bag full of tramp shit but yes, I can see why simpletons fall for his schtick.

Having said that, it’s interesting to watch him answer some pretty tough and frank questions outside of PMQ’s when we don’t have the jeering mob of overgrown toddlers yelling and hollering over the answers. And that jeering comes from both sides, might I add.

It’s twenty minutes but rather worth your time, I think.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=irhtoo35VQo
Yep, this is how he works, and he's been getting away with it for years.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
He was going to but Guinness Boy banned him ;-) quite rightly.
And POTG kept PM’ing him requesting dick pics.

How very dare you.

While I believe that there was an overweight Brexiteer and member of the Tory Party on here who constantly posted in order to seek personal attention, votes for office and whose grasp on the truth was flimsy at best, I believe he actually asked for his account to be deleted.......

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
I very much doubt the Twitter echo chamber is an accurate way of polling public opinion. Twitter was (and still is) also full of people who think Brexit was the biggest mistake ever.

I've no doubt it is but Tories risk losing a large number of their supporters and the Labour ones they gained if they are seen to water down what they have been crowing about.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

I would argue there probably is just about the space for it to be done by someone prepared to be canny about how they market it, e.g. “we’re getting back the benefits of being in Europe while still limiting immigration, no return to FOM!”. I would argue many never properly understood the intricacies of the EU / Europe anyway, and as long as we’re not actually in the EU (which we wouldn’t be) it could be done. Of course some will hate it, but some hate the fact Brexit didn’t mean us declaring war on Germany again and reliving the 1940s.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Social media full of sycophantic odd balls thinking the whole thing is a conspiracy to cancel Brexit.

The problem for Johnson is the discontent is coming from all wings of the party as well as being geographical dispersed.

Be interesting how he manages to put out a series of small fires.

Currently more leavers than remainers are calling for him to go.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Social media full of sycophantic odd balls thinking the whole thing is a conspiracy to cancel Brexit.

The problem for Johnson is the discontent is coming from all wings of the party as well as being geographical dispersed.

[tweet]1531913723316781059[/tweet]

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST

Off topic, an aside. Is your username from Dickens?

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
[tweet]1532030938301050881[/tweet]

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks

Heard some mentalist earlier screeching about it being a “leftie coup”

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Heard some mentalist earlier screeching about it being a “leftie coup”

It is quite funny having to educate people about how the Conservatives have a very long history of attempting to remove their leaders (or the PM) before the electorate have a chance.

1975 - Thatcher challenges and defeats Heath in a leadership election.

1979 - Thatcher leads a no confidence motion against the Callaghan Government.

1989 - Sir Anthony Meyer challengers Thatcher for the leadership.

1990 - Heseltine challenges Thatcher again, leading to John Major becoming PM.

1995 - John Major initiates leadership election as PM, beating his opponent John Redwood.

2013 - At least 30 Tory MPs send letters to 1922 committee declaring no confidence in Cameron Leadership.

.. and I won't bore anyone about Theresa May.

Klaas

I've changed this
Nov 1, 2017

Klaas

I've changed this
Nov 1, 2017
I very much doubt the Twitter echo chamber is an accurate way of polling public opinion. Twitter was (and still is) also full of people who think Brexit was the biggest mistake ever.

True, but John7362728 Patriot!English first British second!Brexit MAGA :flag: :flag: and his compatriots are legion!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here