Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Tory meltdown finally arrived [was: incoming]...

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I am fascinated by the assertion that Johnson was brilliant over Covid. As you say, this sort of thing goes unchallenged repeatedly, and it's now some sort of "truth" that the UK somehow out-performed the rest of the world. Well, I suppose if you look at death-rates, we're one of the leaders!! We still have circa 2,000 people a week dying from Covid - no major western country has death rates at our level. Many countries seem to have done better with their vaccination programmes (countries like Spain, Portugal, France, Italy, Germany, etc etc). Apparently we opened up our economy before others - but if this is such a wonderful thing, why is our economy forecast to perform so relatively poorly?

please have a look at https://ourworldindata.org/covid-deaths for death rate comparison. similar story on vaccines. i dont know why people talk this country up or down on Covid, when so much data shows we're around the same as others on balance.

more broader point, radio call in programmes are not primarily to challenge peoples views, they are to air their views. if a programme want to make a feature of correcting/telling people they're wrong, thats an editorial direction. nothing worse than listening to some DJ integrogate a caller as if they are a politican, often with superfical, subjective counter points.

Last edited:

Lever

Feb 6, 2019
He's woefully lacking in both style and integrity

I've seen better dressed pissed tramps deliver with more gusto and integrity.

I totally agree; the only 'style' he is concerned with is a linguistic one that will enable him to carry on f...ing up the country...

'sursum tuum' to all of you!

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Labour or other wont because they know the majority will not carry the motion. no defending needed, just a simple division they'll all follow party whip. everyone sit tight a few more weeks, after the May elections and see the flood of letters to 1922 committee.

I could see advantages to the opposition parties getting all Tory MP's by name, to very publicly back Boris with a vote of confidence immediately before the local elections and the next round of fines ???

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I totally agree; the only 'style' he is concerned with is a linguistic one that will enable him to carry on f...ing up the country...

'sursum tuum' to all of you!

He may fancy himself as a bit of a linguist, but on that scale he's not fit to lick shit off Stephen Frys boots .

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
please have a look at https://ourworldindata.org/covid-deaths for death rate comparison. similar story on vaccines. i dont know why people talk this country up or down on Covid, when so much data shows we're around the same as others on balance.

That's the issue, though - if you listen to the government we are apparently "world leading". The fact is, our death rates (per million) are higher than those in Germany, France, Spain, Portugal, Netherlands, Sweden, etc, etc. And there are several major European countries with better vaccination rates than the UK. The government loves to propagate the myth of "British (or English) exceptionalism". Pointing out that we are NOT world-leaders is definitely not talking the country down....we would do better to look at other countries and learn from them, rather than pouring scorn on their efforts (which Johnson in particular loves to do).

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

more broader point, radio call in programmes are not primarily to challenge peoples views, they are to air their views. if a programme want to make a feature of correcting/telling people they're wrong, thats an editorial direction. nothing worse than listening to some DJ integrogate a caller as if they are a politican, often with superfical, subjective counter points.

I'm not sure what you're looking at but even the first graph shows the UK out front on two of the highest peaks!

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I'm not sure what you're looking at but even the first graph shows the UK out front on two of the highest peaks!

in aggregate we're below several other european counties, being lower generally outside those peaks, and a few % above others. and that before getting into case/hospitalisation/death with or from ratios. too much of the covid performance narrative is stuck in spring 2020, with the appaling clear hospitals into carehomes and aborted app. but people will still refer to them (especially the app) as if its continued through the next 18 mths.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Labour or other wont because they know the majority will not carry the motion. no defending needed, just a simple division they'll all follow party whip. everyone sit tight a few more weeks, after the May elections and see the flood of letters to 1922 committee.

To threaten them if they don't back Johnson?

[tweet]1516371581731315717[/tweet]

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
I see Sky News have a new backdrop to welcome Tory government ministers...

Capture.PNG

Then Brandon told about how Tony Blair got a parking fine once...

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I see Sky News have a new backdrop to welcome Tory government ministers...

View attachment 147089

Then Brandon told about how Tony Blair got a parking fine once...

Ticket dodger - leopards spots

[tweet]1516339926719209477[/tweet]

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Well if you've always been privileged enough to ignore the rule of law

Boris Johnson boasted about ignoring parking fines: ‘What did I care?’

In an unearthed passage from his book on cars, Mr Johnson said he used the rain “as a means of eluding the law” while at Oxford by letting the tickets disintegrate – suggesting Belgian registration plates meant he could ignore them. “My favourite parking spot was on the yellow lines by the squash courts in Jowett Walk and sometimes, it is true, I got a ticket. But what did I care? The Stallion had Belgian plates,” he wrote.

“What were the poor parkies going to do? Contact Interpol? … Ha, I snapped my finger at the parking tickets. I let them pile in drifts against the windscreen ... until the fines just disintegrated in the rain.”

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/boris-johnson-fines-parking-tickets-b2060805.html

It must be bloody hard to start abiding by the laws that the plebs have had to stick to after 57 years ???

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Whilst waiting for the convicted criminal Johnson to explain to the house how he still doesn't understand how he broke his own laws, the undercard is proving quite entertaining with Priti Patel being completely taken apart over her desperate 'quick look over there' Rwanda policy by Yvette Cooper, Theresa May and others

Still no timings, numbers, costs etc and the SNP MP has just called it out as a dead cat :lolol:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I hate to say it but Patel just ruined Yvette Cooper. Patel sounded reasonable and well informed. Cooper sounded shrill, and fell into the obvious trap of saying the Rwanda policy wouldn't work and would be expensive. Patel said the cost is on a per person basis so if it doesn't work it will cost nothing. Cooper would have been wiser to have said 'I don't believe this will work, so provided you are not sending people to their deaths in Rawanda (a critical point), let's see how you do with this'. Then, if it flops or doesn't happen labour can say 'told you so'. If it works (leads to a massive fall in illegal crossing of the channel, without loss of life for those marooned in Rwanda) then labour can say 'well done'. Or something.

I suspect that next Johnson will simply state he did not realise he was breaking any rules, now accepts he has, apologizes profusely, nothing to see here. If Labour react with more shrill shouting Johnson will be home and hosed.

Incredibly easy, all this.

Labour may well have to have a rethink about how to lay a glove on this shower.

Last edited:

RandyWanger

Je suis rôti de boeuf
Mar 14, 2013
Done a Frexit, now in London
Going back to covid deaths, through work I have access to the state of health stats globally via a client. This data is collected using the same metrics and not the locally adjusted ones reported.

Number of novel coronavirus (COVID-19) deaths worldwide as of April 19, 2022, by country (attached)

Screenshot 2022-04-19 at 16.04.51.png

Barnet Seagull

Luxury Player
Jul 14, 2003
Falmer, soon...
I know it us very unlikely to happen and may not even be possible but...

I'd really like to see a vote of no confidence in the Prime Minister/Government. There's a real opportunity to push the Conservatives into a position where they have to very publicly and overtly defend their leader and his actions.

Sounds like we'll get something like this as MPs will vote on whether the PM misled parliament. It will be very interesting to see what the Conservative Party do. Will they push him before the vote and castigate him? Ride it out and face a public backlash? Or face internal revolt?

I think there's a real risk of greater longer term damage if they don't act. I like this move a lot.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
What a vile, vile woman. May have to switch this off before I punch the screen.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Looks like Priti was the brains of the outfit all along.

"What will happen if asylum seekers abscond before being deported to Rwanda?"

"It will go against them in their asylum claim"

:ffsparr:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here