Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Tory meltdown finally arrived [was: incoming]...

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Agree. But each and every person who voted for the Tories at the last election has to take their share of the responsibility. It’s not like Boris’ suddenly became a lying self-centred toad; he has been like this in his personal, professional and parliamentary life well before he became leader. Don’t be a weasel; own your decisions in life.

To be fair in the last week, a regular long-term honest poster on NSC has said that he only voted for Johnson's party for one reason, or did 'a deal with the devil' in his own words. He admitted that he understood exactly what and who he was voting to lead the country for the next 5 years but decided it was worth it in order to get the single thing he wanted.

I still question his judgment :facepalm: but he is one of very few who has actually taken responsibility for the way he voted (twice) :wink:

Last edited:

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Agree. But each and every person who voted for the Tories at the last election has to take their share of the responsibility. It’s not like Boris’ suddenly became a lying self-centred toad; he has been like this in his personal, professional and parliamentary life well before he became leader. Don’t be a weasel; own your decisions in life.

Never forget. It was a choice of Boris or Corbyn. I am happy to own my choice. At that moment, Boris was the lesser of two evils for voters on both sides, many of whom turned Tory for a day. It was Bob Hope or no hope and few were going to elect no hope.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Never forget. It was a choice of Boris or Corbyn. I am happy to own my choice. At that moment, Boris was the lesser of two evils for voters on both sides, many of whom turned Tory for a day. It was Bob Hope or no hope and few were going to elect no hope.

And I'm guessing that you must have been in one of those very unusual constituencies that only had two candidates. And you do understand it's not for the moment, you vote a Government in for the next 5 years :facepalm:

Fair question. After 50 years voting Tory, I've finally jumped on to the fence. :lol:

Unless you change your mind after 2

So are you suggesting that Jeremy Corbyn was the sole reason you voted for Johnson's Government ???

Last edited:

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
And I'm guessing that you must have been in one of those very unusual constituencies that only had two candidates ???

So are you suggesting that Jeremy Corbyn was the reason you voted for Johnson's Government ???

I have no idea how many candidates there were, but are you suggesting the reasons millions voted Tory wasn't because of Corbyn and his antics?

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I have no idea how many candidates there were, but are you suggesting the reasons millions voted Tory wasn't because of Corbyn and his antics?

You do understand that under FPTP, you don't vote against who you don't want, you vote for who you want.

You (and many others) voted for Johnson to lead the Government for the next 5 years, you got Johnson to lead the Government for the next 5 years, maybe you should celebrate your victory. I'm starting to understand HT's post, which may be a little direct but is perfectly fair :shrug:

Last edited:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Unfortunately the Johnson fan boys on NSC are still waving the blue flag (mostly in the pit). They continue to own the victory against the EU and (laughably) Covid. Those who have expressed regret (and several have) are part of the larger body of sensible posters. There is still a lot of 'w...' about though (i.e., whatabout Corbyn).

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
You do understand that under FPTP, you don't vote against who you don't want, you vote for who you want.

Not sure about that. If we had PR, then I would vote for who I want. But so long as we have FPTP, I will continue voting for whichever candidate is most likely to defeat the one I don't want (ie: tactical voting).

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

My ire is directed against the tory members who made Johnson their leader. It wasn't as if the tories were up against a tough opponent in Corbyn. No, they picked Johnson as leader because he promised to 'get Brexit done', no ifs and buts. Johnson is the price we all now have to pay for the massive benefit of a no-deal Brexit: gravy tomorrow. Love that gravy.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Not sure about that. If we had PR, then I would vote for who I want. But so long as we have FPTP, I will continue voting for whichever candidate is most likely to defeat the one I don't want (ie: tactical voting).

Really? With PR I would vote tactically but, in contrast with FPTP, it would be ten times harder to game.

Seagull27

Feb 7, 2011
Bristol
Really? With PR I would vote tactically but, in contrast with FPTP, it would be ten times harder to game.
It's one of the biggest complaints against FPTP - if you're in a constituency where your preferred candidate/party has no chance, you're better using your vote to side with a medium option against the candidate/party you don't want. E.g. if you're a Labour supporter in much of the South West, your vote would be wasted (anywhere outside of Bristol), so better off voting Lib Dem in the hope a Tory candidate doesn't get in.

Whereas with PR you'd feel safer voting for your preferred candidate as they have more chance of being represented in some way. Depending on the flavour of PR, of course.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria

Surely with PR every vote counts? Or it should do, to a very large extent. I suppose it depends partly on how the PR system is devised - but in the simplest terms of 50% of the vote gets you 50% of the seats, and 10% of the vote gets you 10% of the seats - the more votes your preferred party gets the more seats it gets. Under PR I simply can't see when I would vote for a party I didn't particularly want - just to keep the party I don't want from winning (like I have almost always done in my voting life because of the constituencies I have lived in).

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
It's one of the biggest complaints against FPTP - if you're in a constituency where your preferred candidate/party has no chance, you're better using your vote to side with a medium option against the candidate/party you don't want. E.g. if you're a Labour supporter in much of the South West, your vote would be wasted (anywhere outside of Bristol), so better off voting Lib Dem in the hope a Tory candidate doesn't get in.

Whereas with PR you'd feel safer voting for your preferred candidate as they have more chance of being represented in some way. Depending on the flavour of PR, of course.

Yes - that's my thoughts.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Tory meltdown incoming...

I’m still shocked that 29% of people with a degree or higher voted Tory in 2019. How on earth does Boris the Liar appeal to anyone with a brain?

9fcd8168c9dfac85a79bd584050c0078.png

No wonder the Tories had had enough of experts!

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I’m still shocked that 29% of people with a degree or higher voted Tory in 2019. How on earth does Boris the Liar appeal to anyone with a brain?

I would suggest there are two reasons. Firstly, the alternative was Corbyn. Secondly, they may well have a decent salary and therefore want to protect their income above any concerns for society as a whole. That's why they vote Tory as that party never put up taxes!!!

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

Presumably that includes all the poshos who have degrees in “history of art” and similar nonsense. Not to mention all the weirdo Tory PM wannabes doing PPE at Oxford.

kemptown kid

Apr 17, 2011

Quite. And while you're at it please reveal which of the many benefits of Brexit you are enjoying most.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Blaming Corbyn, whataboutery and saying you were one of many doesn’t seem like owing your decision to me.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
My ire is directed against the tory members who made Johnson their leader. It wasn't as if the tories were up against a tough opponent in Corbyn. No, they picked Johnson as leader because he promised to 'get Brexit done', no ifs and buts. Johnson is the price we all now have to pay for the massive benefit of a no-deal Brexit: gravy tomorrow. Love that gravy.

I understand your ire. The voters didn't have that choice to make and most voters don't undertake an in depth analysis of the candidates. Corbyn's filibustering over Brexit meant the Tory chairman's cat could have led them to victory over Corbyn. He couldn't even convince my wife to vote for him in return for £30k back pension.

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
Tory MPs are considering the aftermath of dire local election results as their next chance to oust Boris Johnson, with the prime minister preparing to apologise for his Partygate penalty.

However, Downing Street is feeling bullish that Johnson has “crossed the Rubicon” after receiving his first fixed-penalty notice earlier this month, and will cling on in the face of further charges.

Even his most stout defenders are feeling as if their loyalty has been unreciprocated, with one saying they have been greeted with a “slap in the face”. “All I’ve got to show for it is a Boris-shaped slap mark on my cheek,” they added

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here