Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Tory meltdown finally arrived [was: incoming]...

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I've just read this on the BBC:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-61137081

Refugee swapsies :mad:

And they added that the UK's investment in Rwanda - an initial £120m - would help to address the lack of opportunities which drive economic migration. It also emerged that some refugees in Rwanda will be sent to the UK under the terms of the two nations' agreement.

And still no indication of the costs of the actual refugee handling or any numbers going in either direction ?

So we've paid £120M to Rwanda for them to sign a statement of intention to swap refugees with us at an unknown cost.

Just when you think it couldn't get any more corrupt/incompetent/stupid/bat shit crazy :shootself

Last edited:

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
Trump lurched and leered from one political clusterf**k to the next and was completely teflon.
Anyone of his actions would have bought down the previous 44 presidents but he slide his way to a full term.

de Pfeffel is doing exactly the same.
He's going to lie cheat and con his way to a full term, nothing is now so big it will "bring down this government".

Unless you are Nostra Damus reincarnated, neither of us have the power to see into the future.

Besides, I did say 'this has the capacity to bring down the government'. Not the same thing as predicting it will bring down the government.

Time will tell of course, but Rwandagate has definitely got legs. This has been 9 months in the making, and it remains uncosted, unproven and unmodeled, with no indicated timeframe. It has the capacity to haunt this government, future Tory governments, and future Tory election campaigns for a long, long time. The reason is that those asylum seekers will still be in Rwanda, available for interview, at any time.

Expect 'special reports' from Kigali and Rwanda, even before the asylum seekers get there. Expect journalists to have booked seats on the flights they take to get there. Expect reports on the inevitable delays and cock-ups processing them. The table, chair and a pile of kitkats in Calais will look well organised. That's before we even begin on the glaring humanitarian issues.

Boris may lie, cheat and con his way through partygate, but his Home Secretary's flagship policy on deporting asylum seekers? Get the popcorn out.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
And they added that the UK's investment in Rwanda - an initial £120m - would help to address the lack of opportunities which drive economic migration. It also emerged that some refugees in Rwanda will be sent to the UK under the terms of the two nations' agreement.

And still no indication of the costs of the actual refugee handling or any numbers going in either direction ?

So we've paid £120M to Rwanda for them to sign a statement of intention to swap refugees with us at an unknown cost.

Just when you think it couldn't get any more corrupt/incompetent/stupid/bat shit crazy :shootself

It's just a shame Patel's family weren't permanently diverted to Rwanda when this country made them welcome after fleeing the Ugandan genocide.

Still, we can't have everyone having the same opportunities she was afforded.

usernamed

Aug 31, 2017
Trump lurched and leered from one political clusterf**k to the next and was completely teflon.
Anyone of his actions would have bought down the previous 44 presidents but he slide his way to a full term.

de Pfeffel is doing exactly the same.
He's going to lie cheat and con his way to a full term, nothing is now so big it will "bring down this government".

This. We’ll swallow it all, and in 2024 loads of seemingly rational human beings will vote for more of the same. At the same time, these same individuals will bemoan the fact that things are “continually getting worse” and the slow erosion of standards of public decency and public behaviour. Their blinkers are so effective that they will (either consciously or unconsciously) continue to fail to link the way they use their vote with the the gradual but (I fear) irreversible corruption of our public institutions.

By the time the water reaches their necks, we’re going to need gills.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Unless you are Nostra Damus reincarnated, neither of us have the power to see into the future.

Besides, I did say 'this has the capacity to bring down the government'. Not the same thing as predicting it will bring down the government.

Time will tell of course, but Rwandagate has definitely got legs. This has been 9 months in the making, and it remains uncosted, unproven and unmodeled, with no indicated timeframe. It has the capacity to haunt this government, future Tory governments, and future Tory election campaigns for a long, long time. The reason is that those asylum seekers will still be in Rwanda, available for interview, at any time.

Expect 'special reports' from Kigali and Rwanda, even before the asylum seekers get there. Expect journalists to have booked seats on the flights they take to get there. Expect reports on the inevitable delays and cock-ups processing them. The table, chair and a pile of kitkats in Calais will look well organised. That's before we even begin on the glaring humanitarian issues.

Boris may lie, cheat and con his way through partygate, but his Home Secretary's flagship policy on deporting asylum seekers? Get the popcorn out.

It appears that his Home Secretary may have one or two problems of her own from this particularly well planned, considered, detailed and not rushed through 'dead cat'.

Priti Patel accused of misleading parliament over controversial borders bill

Priti Patel is under pressure to apologise after being accused of misleading parliament over a central claim relating to her deeply controversial proposals to change immigration law. The home secretary told MPs that the widely criticised nationality and borders bill would create new safe and legal routes to the UK for asylum seekers, suggesting that new routes would ensure that people no longer need to risk their lives trying to reach the UK.

However, the Home Office has now admitted that the proposed legislation, which is due to go back to the House of Commons this week, in fact contains no provision to provide safe government-backed routes for asylum seekers. A letter dated 5 April from Home Office minister Tom Pursglove to the humanitarian charity MSF UK directly contradicts Patel by stating that safe and legal routes “do not form part of the bill”.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2022/apr/17/fury-as-patels-borders-bill-found-misleading-on-safe-routes-for-migrants

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
The way this country is headed, I may just hitch a ride to Rwanda myself.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Partygate.
Brexit lies
Misleading Parliament on numerous occasions
Lying to the queen
Having a convicted criminal as a PM
Patel’s inhumane treatment of refugees

All disgusting. All unbecoming of a government. Each one should have seen this government turfed out.

But I don’t think that’s what’s will be their undoing. I think it will be the cost of living crisis that does for them. It’s the one that’s going to hit a lot of their core voters, the working class Tory voters.
They may be gullible. They may have fallen for the Brexit bullshit. But when their fortnight in Tenerife becomes unaffordable and they can’t afford the drip on their cars. When their freezers are bereft of chicken dippers and frozen Yorkshire puddings?
Then maybe we will see at least some of them wonder why the rest of Europe on comparable incomes are doing okay and we can barely afford to feed our children.

And they’d better act because nobody is coming to help them. Not Mogg, not Sunak, nor convicted criminal Boris Johnson. Not Miles and Juniper on the slopes for their third holiday of Spring.

They need to wise the **** up. Because unfortunately the future of Great Britain is in their hands.

Based on past performance, I’m not hopeful they’ll do the right thing.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Could not give a **** that at Easter the archbishop has said this is "the opposite of the nature of God",

Seriously?........get some ****ing perspective on the nature of your God you ****ing hypocrites..

Its fine to drown the whole planet bar a handful on an ark, just dandy to allow 250,000 to drown in a tsunami, no second thought when killing thousands every year in earthquakes. God invented diseases that kill children. God cures people apparently if you prey hard enough……..but that doesn’t include amputees.
WTF. Own your ***** imaginary God but please don’t try and preach some sort of moral high ground.

You post very occasionally. If it's going to be like this, for all concerned, please refrain from doing so.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
This. We’ll swallow it all, and in 2024 loads of seemingly rational human beings will vote for more of the same. At the same time, these same individuals will bemoan the fact that things are “continually getting worse” and the slow erosion of standards of public decency and public behaviour. Their blinkers are so effective that they will (either consciously or unconsciously) continue to fail to link the way they use their vote with the the gradual but (I fear) irreversible corruption of our public institutions.

By the time the water reaches their necks, we’re going to need gills.

These are reasonable observations, but Starmer and co will have to find a way to show dyed in the wool Tory voters that, not only are they a much better alternative to team Boris, but also they will not be another Blair and Brown combo. I might be able to stomach Starmer, but Angela Rayner? Count me out.

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
These are reasonable observations, but Starmer and co will have to find a way to show dyed in the wool Tory voters that, not only are they a much better alternative to team Boris, but also they will not be another Blair and Brown combo. I might be able to stomach Starmer, but Angela Rayner? Count me out.

so what will you do with your vote?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

But you'd vote for a party that has housed Johnson, Fabricant and Mogg for more than two decades?

Your comment about stomaching Starmer is sufficient to reveal your preference. I suppose that in the summer you stomach the warm weather.

It is clear that some people are just going to vote tory, no matter what. :shrug:

Last edited:

Seagull27

Feb 7, 2011
Bristol
Partygate.
Brexit lies
Misleading Parliament on numerous occasions
Lying to the queen
Having a convicted criminal as a PM
Patel’s inhumane treatment of refugees

All disgusting. All unbecoming of a government. Each one should have seen this government turfed out.

But I don’t think that’s what’s will be their undoing. I think it will be the cost of living crisis that does for them. It’s the one that’s going to hit a lot of their core voters, the working class Tory voters.
They may be gullible. They may have fallen for the Brexit bullshit. But when their fortnight in Tenerife becomes unaffordable and they can’t afford the drip on their cars. When their freezers are bereft of chicken dippers and frozen Yorkshire puddings?
Then maybe we will see at least some of them wonder why the rest of Europe on comparable incomes are doing okay and we can barely afford to feed our children.

And they’d better act because nobody is coming to help them. Not Mogg, not Sunak, nor convicted criminal Boris Johnson. Not Miles and Juniper on the slopes for their third holiday of Spring.

They need to wise the **** up. Because unfortunately the future of Great Britain is in their hands.

Based on past performance, I’m not hopeful they’ll do the right thing.
I think you might be right about the cost of living crisis being the thing that does them. And it's ironic, because it's probably the one thing that can't (entirely) be blamed on them.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I think you might be right about the cost of living crisis being the thing that does them. And it's ironic, because it's probably the one thing that can't (entirely) be blamed on them.

Entirely, sure. But their party has now been in power for 12 years, and poverty has grown considerably as a direct result of their policies stretching from the failed austerity to the current rhetoric of 'levelling-up' whilst withdrawing benefits that would alleviate the cost-of-living crisis and increasing taxation on the working poor -- when that could have been targeted at the assets of those that don't work.

This party got into power through blaming Labour for the global financial meltdown -- and for some strange reason, the public bought that narrative. New Labour could have been less accommodating to the financial sector, but their ability to control that was far more limited than the Tories have had in protecting sectors of society over the past 12 years.

usernamed

Aug 31, 2017

What has Angela Rayner done that holds even the faintest candle to Johnson, Sunak, Patel, Grayling et al?

I’m sorry, we’re past the point of “Labour’s deputy leader is a bit unlikable”. Either you believe in the rule of law and our British institutions, or you vote Conservative and show your active contempt for them.

Absolutely don’t vote Labour if they’re not the party for you, other parties are available, but to actively vote for *this* Conservative party knowing what we know, is a vote against probity and rule of law.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent

Agree, can't be laid directly at THIS Tory Government, door, but many of the reasons for the cost of living crisis can be historically tracked back to previous Tory Government decisions.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here