Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Tony Bloom to finance £15 million training ground

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
a couple of points:

1) I've got an Estate Agent mate who has known that they have been looking at various sites for ages, he hears through chinese whispers of course!

2) Shoreham Airport would be alright (GREAT for me!), not sure the Golf place is going ahead and theres plenty of room at PENDE!

3) I should think if its Hickstead it will go alongside the showjumping, cant see them demolishing that, just IMO.

4) This had me even more excited than the AMEX Pitch works....7 pitches/indoor/artificial....another Groundsmans Wet Dream!

5) Needless to say I'm keeping a close eye on the Jobs section on the Official site :thumbsup:

Dover

Home at Last.
Oct 5, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
I wonder if its going to be in the Sussex side of the road. they are expanding that site by the day.

Today is the day to just say "Thank you Mr Bloom."

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ;3933589 said:
What is a FIFA11 mock up of future opponents?

:facepalm: Ya got me!

I think a couple of token paragraphs were slipped in for effect :wink:

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
"Large speakers will be placed around the match to replicate the sound of booing and bobble hats being adusted so players feel like they are in front of the home supporters even when training. "

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Uwinsc

Aug 14, 2010
Horsham
He's a lovely chap that Mr Bloom. :bowdown:

Within reason, it oughtn't matter too much where the training ground is. Regarding ROSM's point, why would Hickstead be best, aside from the one issue I can think of which is a fair whack of players SEEM to live in mid Sussex?

Excellent access already in place with the A/M23 right there/running straight up to london/the airport and the M25

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Excellent access already in place with the A/M23 right there/running straight up to london/the airport and the M25

I appreciate access is not an issue at Hickstead, (though not sure why the airport/s point is important) but then it's not much of an issue at Waterhall either.

Mind you, I take the point about Waterhall (and parts of Sheepcote) being inside the South Down National Park.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Wow! Just wow! Thank you again Tony... we really are progressing at a pace now, and this really shows our ambition to move up the league ladder...

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
Thank you Tony! And access to London would be important for signing players I think as many more potential players in London than Sussex (where we hopefully will have a monopoly already)

KNC

Sep 3, 2003
Seven Dials
More good news is that from what I have heard this is a little more spin from the club with regards to news slipping out. The project has neen in the pipeline for a while now and there are at present talks going on with a relevant council concerning the purchase of the land. My understanding is that in return one of our local county teams will see a major investment in their ground courtesy of Tony!

This

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Pende (west of Shoreham Airport) is plenty large enough and is already zoned for sports and recreation so Planning Permission could NOT be refused.

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
Pende (west of Shoreham Airport) is plenty large enough and is already zoned for sports and recreation so Planning Permission could NOT be refused.

whats happening with the Golf Course? is that still going ahead?

KNC

Sep 3, 2003
Seven Dials
I appreciate access is not an issue at Hickstead, (though not sure why the airport/s point is important) but then it's not much of an issue at Waterhall either.

Mind you, I take the point about Waterhall (and parts of Sheepcote) being inside the South Down National Park.

Read Gordon the Gophers thread again.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
Within reason, it oughtn't matter too much where the training ground is. Regarding ROSM's point, why would Hickstead be best, aside from the one issue I can think of which is a fair whack of players SEEM to live in mid Sussex?

well there are a couple of reasons why waterhall and sheepcote shouldn't be the location

1) they are both in the south downs national park and home to real proper indigenous wildlife (there are deer at waterhall)

2) there are restrictive covenants on both sites for development

- waterhall because when the bypass was built it was designated to be the urban fringe of brighton. The Brighton Rugby club house had to be clearly designated non residential.

There are actually pluses Hickstead/goddards green/burgess hill and these are;

- potential for new community links and benefits in an area that will assist in growing our fan base (and good local visible commercial niceties if you see GtG's post)

- location for getting players to and from it (central within sussex and good access from gatwick when we fly our multimillion pund new strikers in for their medical)

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
whats happening with the Golf Course? is that still going ahead?

The Golf Course (or any sporting use) is the way the soil dumpers get tax concessions, which means the site can only be used for exempt uses like a sports academy. It is right next door to the Lancing College sporting facilities.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
I think this man deserves a Knighthood as well as Martin Perry for their services to football. But lets all remember that without Dick Knight, Steve Gritt and Robbie Rienult we wouldn't be where we are today.
Agreed.

Fantastic news - as someone else commented, the way things are going we could well be knocking on the door of the Premier League at some point over the next ten years. Exciting times ahead, ladies and gentlemen!

crasher

Jul 8, 2003
Sussex
Sorry if I'm being thick but why does a training ground need residential accommodation? Is it for loan players etc so they don't have to go looking for a flat?

cw00

Mar 29, 2009
Manchester
how do you thank a man that has just put £15,000,000 into your local club!

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here