Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Tony Bloom to finance £15 million training ground

crasher

Jul 8, 2003
Sussex

Tony Towner's Fridge

Aug 22, 2003
GLASGOW,SCOTLAND,UK
Waterhall seems a sensible location. Easy access. Space available for what we want. No access and egress issues relating to crowds, cos there won't be any. Easy driving for our players who may live outwith the Brighton area. Only 5 minutes drive from Falmer.
So that's it then, when do we start to build?

TNBA

TTF

Last edited:

Peever

Sep 5, 2010
Canada
Bloom has been nothing short of magic for the club. Ive been kept well informed about his passion and contribution to Brighton and this is now the icing on the cake. I know when Randy Lerner got bodymour all fixed up and finished it was a massive thing for the supporters and that they were back to being proper. Though im sure this is much much bigger of an accomplishment. Atta boy Tony :thumbsup:

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I would think that land between Burgess Hill going towards Hickstead of which there is plenty on the outskirts of the Industrial Estate would not raise too many planning permission problems. Simarly there is a lot of land just north of Hickstead not sure about who owns it and green belt etc.

The good thing is it keeps MP in a job without having to find another club (Palace?) to use his expertise.

TS90

Jan 26, 2011
More good news is that from what I have heard this is a little more spin from the club with regards to news slipping out. The project has neen in the pipeline for a while now and there are at present talks going on with a relevant council concerning the purchase of the land. My understanding is that in return one of our local county teams will see a major investment in their ground courtesy of Tony!

Would that be the Sussex side located in the East of Brighton, near a certain caravan site?

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
It is a pity that the Sussex FA are not co-operative as they could sell there Lancing ground for housing and relocate. They would be quids in. My inclination is the less to do with Council land the better. Private property and you can do what you like within Planning Permission.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
It is a pity that the Sussex FA are not co-operative as they could sell there Lancing ground for housing and relocate. They would be quids in. My inclination is the less to do with Council land the better. Private property and you can do what you like within Planning Permission.

Having seen their spacktacular turndown of the first dibs of the Amex it is hardly surprising though.

TS90

Jan 26, 2011
I think Midsussex might be the prime location for it, even though I'd love to see it located in or near to the city. If it was at Hickstead, it might expand the catchment area of the Centre of Excellence/Academy to attract more young players from the Surrey and South London areas, where there seems to be more talent.

I can`t believe I`ve been so stupid. It all started when I actually believed that my fantastic but potless little club had a brand new state-of-the-art stadium, then I started believing that we had the best chairman,not just in our history,but in this country.Then I believed we signed a legendary Uruguayan international as manager and he turned us from relegation no-hopers into a team of matadors and footballing artists that graced the lower divisions with football never seen at that level before. I was sooooo happy until this.I`ve just imagined that I read our amazing chairman is going to cough up another £15m for top class training facilities!! I know it sounds ridiculous but I actually believed it until this.Now I realise that I have been delusional and I`m off to the doctors for a check up from the neck up.Was fun while it lasted though.

Fef

Rock God.
Feb 21, 2009
He gave our club a stadium.
He gave our club Gus Poyet.
He's giving our club a training facility.
Not even Ace Rimmer and Lord Flashheart combined could be as good as our Tony.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Nine pitches?

Presumably...

Pitch One - regular training pitch
Pitch Two - icy conditions simulation
Pitch Three - snowy conditions simulation
Pitch Four - Summer conditions/Dry and cracked
Pitch Five - a waterlogged pitch
Pitch Six - an artificial mist/fog
Pitch Seven - streakers and Hooligans for evasion practice
Pitch Eight - a light dusting of loose leaves
Pitch Nine - practice for laps of honour and trophy presentations

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Other clubs:

Inside the complex, there are training and rehabilitation areas, physiotherapy and massage rooms, and remedial and hydrotherapy pools. There are also squash and basketball courts, a sauna, steam and weight rooms, a restaurant, conference rooms, offices, classrooms, and a TV studio to interview players and staff for MUTV. On the grounds, there are 14 football pitches of varying sizes, and two lagoons which are used as part of the waste water treatment system.[2] The media have dubbed the centre "Fortress Carrington",[3] due to the 2.4 kilometres (1.5 mi) of fencing and 30,000 trees surrounding it, in order to prevent members of the media and opposition spies from viewing team tactics for upcoming matches.

The site covers a total area of 108 acres (0.44 km2), of which 71 are used by the club. The remaining land is rented to local farmers, and includes a small nature reserve, maintained by the club and the Cheshire Wildlife Trust. The complex is not connected to main sewers and as such has its own sewage system.[4]

Trafford Training Centre - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Pende is about 100 acres.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I think Midsussex might be the prime location for it, even though I'd love to see it located in or near to the city. If it was at Hickstead, it might expand the catchment area of the Centre of Excellence/Academy to attract more young players from the Surrey and South London areas, where there seems to be more talent.

That is a very good point with the restrictions on how far young lads can travel to a club. I am not up on the regulations but think I read it was 1 hour in which case 1 hour from Hickstead covers a large area and well into South London and Surrey fringes of Kent and most of Sussex.

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Liverpool Academy:

The Academy can handle up to twenty boys in each year group, though more usually the figure is around eighteen. Between the ages of eight and twelve the boys play in eight-a-side games of three twenty-minute periods. It allows the boys to play as defenders or as attackers in small groups within a system and is not as physically-demanding as playing eleven-a-side matches.

There are four full-size grass pitches and one with a Polytan surface. There are also a further seven smaller pitches and an indoor arena. The grounds cover an area of 56 acres.

Liverpool F.C. Reserves and Academy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
This is massive.

We are not just lucky to have Tony Bloom, we must be the luckiest club in the country in terms of who their chairman is.

Can you imagine how shit life would be if Tony had been a Palace fan?

Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ

Hove / Παρος
Apr 7, 2006
Hove / Παρος
Liverpool Academy:

The Academy can handle up to twenty boys in each year group, though more usually the figure is around eighteen. Between the ages of eight and twelve the boys play in eight-a-side games of three twenty-minute periods. It allows the boys to play as defenders or as attackers in small groups within a system and is not as physically-demanding as playing eleven-a-side matches.

There are four full-size grass pitches and one with a Polytan surface. There are also a further seven smaller pitches and an indoor arena. The grounds cover an area of 56 acres.

Liverpool F.C. Reserves and Academy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

After reading that and reading how Barcelona have churned out their superstars I'm not surprised the Liverpool academy has only produced one such talent in Stevie G...

Not that I'm complaining or anything, but shouldn't this search for a site have commenced pretty much as soon as we finally got permission for the stadium ? This facility is going to be at the very least a couple of years away I'd have thought, possibly much longer if the planning permission takes a while.

We'll have a stadium the envy of the League, but with two-bob training facilities for the forseeable.

Dear oh Lord...it never stops

TS90

Jan 26, 2011
That is a very good point with the restrictions on how far young lads can travel to a club. I am not up on the regulations but think I read it was 1 hour in which case 1 hour from Hickstead covers a large area and well into South London and Surrey fringes of Kent and most of Sussex.

It's 90 minutes I believe but it's not only the increasing size of the catchment area, it's the fact it will make the club a far more appealing proposition for the best (or at least better) youngsters who are out there.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here