Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Tony Bloom to finance £15 million training ground

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Spurs:

McLaren Construction has been confirmed as main contractor on Tottenham Hotspur FC’s new £45 million Training Academy at Bulls Cross in Enfield, Middlesex.

McLaren has won the contract to construct the main state-of-the-art training centre at the heart of the new complex.

The building will be used by the First team and Academy squads.

McLaren’s site team moved onto the project yesterday to commence the construction of the centre designed by Architect KSS, who are also responsible for the design of the proposed new Tottenham Hotspur stadium, within the Northumberland Development Project.

The main training centre building is designed around a 70m x 50m indoor artificial pitch and also contains a hydrotherapy/swimming pool, fitness centre/gym, changing rooms, medical facilities, canteen and media centre.

Preparatory and groundworks on the 67 acre site started last September.

Training Ground - Football forum - TheGoalPosts

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
That is a very good point with the restrictions on how far young lads can travel to a club. I am not up on the regulations but think I read it was 1 hour in which case 1 hour from Hickstead covers a large area and well into South London and Surrey fringes of Kent and most of Sussex.

Chelsea have a training complex at Cobham in Surrey

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
And to think some on here think he aint got that much dough and he will settle for just staying up next year. Been saying for ages, this man is a winner and wants a seat at the top table. And he will get it, we will be a major force again next season in the championship. Or do some still think he will be happy with just staying up. Its Bamber all over again only this time round, we got the ground and football is on the up, not on the decline.

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
What has that got to do with it? At least we shall be able to chase up some good prospects rather than sniff around Shoreham and Portslade only.

France is just a short flight away.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Dear oh Lord...it never stops

Its not a criticism, as I said, I am absolutely NOT complaining. Bloom has been an absolute Godsend for this club and deserves the utmost credit. We will be forever in his debt (and I don't just mean financially).

I'm just a little curious as to why this fabulous training facility wasn't being developed almost in conjunction with the stadium, ie once we KNEW planning permission was granted and the Amex was going to happen. Gus and the team have got a couple of years (at the very least) of putting up with shoddy facilities for all their hard work during the week. Granted from next season they've now got a stupendous venue for match days, but their working week is still stuck sharing a crummy field at Falmer.

Perhaps TB's pockets didn't quite stretch to committing to this 15 million quid facility immediately on top of the 93 mill he's just shelled out on the stadium, which would be fair enough. And its clearly going to be something to behold once its in place. But thats a fair way down the line when we're still at the stage now of scoping potential sites.

Like I said, this is NOT a moan. Just an observation.

Hunting 784561

Jul 8, 2003
Fantastic and very exciting news.

Would love to see this situated at Hickstead in order to expand our empire/catchment area closer towards Gatwick and the Greater London area.

Exiled in Exeter

Jul 16, 2003
W3D
Excellent news. Another very important step forward by the club.

I particularly like: “The main pitch will be exactly the same size as the one at The Amex, with floodlights and undersoil heating.”

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Easy could this not be a case of finishing the job MP started before he became engrossed in another. Is it not posssible they have agreed a temporary deal on using Withdean for a year or indeed another courty ground.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Nine pitches?

Presumably...

Pitch One - regular training pitch
Pitch Two - icy conditions simulation
Pitch Three - snowy conditions simulation
Pitch Four - Summer conditions/Dry and cracked
Pitch Five - a waterlogged pitch
Pitch Six - an artificial mist/fog
Pitch Seven - streakers and Hooligans for evasion practice
Pitch Eight - a light dusting of loose leaves
Pitch Nine - practice for laps of honour and trophy presentations

If I were Gus, and were an incrediblly astute, tactical GENIUS, I'd make the seven pitches slightly different sizes, to closely match all the away grounds in the relevant division. Then I'd take a significant portion of the sessions leading up to each away game on a pitch of the corresponding size.

Gus will already be planning this, as he misses NOTHING...

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
Its not a criticism, as I said, I am absolutely NOT complaining. Bloom has been an absolute Godsend for this club and deserves the utmost credit. We will be forever in his debt (and I don't just mean financially).

I'm just a little curious as to why this fabulous training facility wasn't being developed almost in conjunction with the stadium, ie once we KNEW planning permission was granted and the Amex was going to happen. Gus and the team have got a couple of years (at the very least) of putting up with shoddy facilities for all their hard work during the week. Granted from next season they've now got a stupendous venue for match days, but their working week is still stuck sharing a crummy field at Falmer.

Perhaps TB's pockets didn't quite stretch to committing to this 15 million quid facility immediately on top of the 93 mill he's just shelled out on the stadium, which would be fair enough. And its clearly going to be something to behold once its in place. But thats a fair way down the line when we're still at the stage now of scoping potential sites.

Like I said, this is NOT a moan. Just an observation.

The facilities at Falmer although far from top class are not totaly shoddy, as you put it. The club have spent thousands up there since Gus has arrived, on the pitches and other things. This new developement is so the club can achieve academy status and continue moving forward into the future.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Easy could this not be a case of finishing the job MP started before he became engrossed in another. Is it not posssible they have agreed a temporary deal on using Withdean for a year or indeed another courty ground.

Doubtful I'd have thought, they've not made any noises about moving to other training facilities pending this new one being built. Wouldn't rule it out I suppose, but as it stands, the players are stuck with the potholes and dogshit and students at Falmer for the forseeable.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
The facilities at Falmer although far from top class are not totaly shoddy, as you put it. The club have spent thousands up there since Gus has arrived, on the pitches and other things. This new developement is so the club can achieve academy status and continue moving forward into the future.

Perhaps I have an overly jaundiced view of the current facilities then. I expect they're making the best of what they've got for now, maybe its not that bad, but the impression I've always had is that its pretty inadequate.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Nice man that Mr Bloom - thank you very much

Uwinsc

Aug 14, 2010
Horsham
It's 90 minutes I believe but it's not only the increasing size of the catchment area, it's the fact it will make the club a far more appealing proposition for the best (or at least better) youngsters who are out there.

90 minutes from Hickstead would take you over a good portion of the south east surely

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here