Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] This Is A Public Health Information Notice On Behalf Of...

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Its always been like that. One neighbour wants the freedom to listen to music, the other wants the freedom to live without any noise.

Unfortunately the latter category of people, the same who wants a permanent lockdown and shit like that, dont realise that some kind of absolute totalitarian "freedom to be safe from everything" is a pretty shitty for all of those who think life is about more than safety.

How is wanting people to wear a mask in an enclosed place - the concourse- the same as wanting a permanent lock down ?

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
At the end of the day, there are those that don't want to wear a mask and will quote whatever crap they can to justify it (probably mainly to themselves). No facts, no evidence and no statistics will convince them otherwise. It's pointless. They'll also be the first in the queue to moan if things take another turn for the worse if there is yet another variant.

Oh, and the reference to the suggestion we are 'post covid' just demonstrates the ignorance.

But as Bozza says, it's not worth wasting your breath.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I empathise with that old lady who is so terrified of covid that she won't even get her fish and chips because there are people in there that aren't wearing masks.

This is a hysterical, irrational fear for her brought on by the pandemic, and subsequently the behaviour of everyone else.

We are at the point where we need to normalise covid. Wearing masks when we are well is not useful behaviour - and it is not even encouraged by our government, let alone enforced.

We need to move on now. We don't need to wear masks anymore. It's so important that we move on to an atmosphere which makes people feel free again.

Like wearing a mask for a few minutes in the chippy, so the old dear feels safe.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
How is wanting people to wear a mask in an enclosed place - the concourse- the same as wanting a permanent lock down ?

I wear a mask to do my small bit to try and ensure we don't need to have a temporary lockdown ever again.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Like wearing a mask for a few minutes in the chippy, so the old dear feels safe.

Yup.

I don't know the old lady's story, her medical history nor what catching Covid may mean for her, beyond the obvious relationship with old age and bad outcomes.

But I do know my mother-in-law's story who, through having leukaemia, has a significantly-weakened immune system and has a very real chance of catching Covid proving fatal for her. She is double-jabbed, of course, but is expected to have very limited benefits from that.

And I know there are millions of people out there who, to varying degrees, have very legitimate concerns. They're not scaredy-cats who have fallen for some government propaganda and need to just man up a bit. They know they are high risk through nothing more than bad fortune.

Why wouldn't anyone do something trivial to try and help those people?

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Yup.

I don't know the old lady's story, her medical history nor what catching Covid may mean for her, beyond the obvious relationship with old age and bad outcomes.

But I do know my mother-in-law's story who, through having leukaemia, has a significantly-weakened immune system and has a very real chance of catching Covid proving fatal for her. She is double-jabbed, of course, but is expected to have very limited benefits from that.

And I know there are millions of people out there who, to varying degrees, have very legitimate concerns. They're not scaredy-cats who have fallen for some government propaganda and need to just man up a bit. They know they are high risk through nothing more than bad fortune.

[MENTION=7]Mustafa[/MENTION] needs to answer that……

Don’t hold your breath.

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
The OP raises a good point, admittedly raised in his usual, of late, robust manner.

People are asked to wear face coverings on trains and inside the stadium (although not in their seats) and a majority aren't anymore. What really annoyed me was people ordering food and drink at the kiosk and not wearing a face covering for 120 seconds of their day to help protect and show a bit of respect towards someone earning minimum wage to keep you fed and watered.

I suspect the government have washed their hands of trying mandating people to do it but if the figures keep on going up, which they will when the schools then universities go back, and the political winds change I wouldn't put it past them legislating for it.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I empathise with that old lady who is so terrified of covid that she won't even get her fish and chips because there are people in there that aren't wearing masks.

This is a hysterical, irrational fear for her brought on by the pandemic, and subsequently the behaviour of everyone else.

We are at the point where we need to normalise covid. Wearing masks when we are well is not necessarily useful behaviour - and it is not even encouraged by our government, let alone enforced.

We need to move on now. We don't need to wear masks anymore. It's so important that we move on to an atmosphere which makes people feel free again.

Her anxiety is not irrational, but your comment is.

As for the bit I've highlighted, at least some kudos to you for undertaking daily tests to see if you are not carrying the virus. At least I assume that's what you are doing so you know you are not carrying the virus! As you know, you don't have to have symptoms to be a infectious, you do know that don't you?

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
The OP raises a good point, admittedly raised in his usual, of late, robust manner.

People are asked to wear face coverings on trains and inside the stadium (although not in their seats) and a majority aren't anymore. What really annoyed me was people ordering food and drink at the kiosk and not wearing a face covering for 120 seconds of their day to help protect and show a bit of respect towards someone earning minimum wage to keep you fed and watered.

I suspect the government have washed their hands of trying mandating people to do it but if the figures keep on going up, which they will when the schools then universities go back, and the political winds change I wouldn't put it past them legislating for it.

It’s not really down to the government IMO, they have issued clear guidance……it’s basically down to people deciding to be pricks or not.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
That's awful.

Don't you think we need to move towards an atmosphere where people no longer need to feel anxious if others are not wearing masks?

Especially as we are now living in a time where people won't be, and no longer need to be, wearing masks.

Most people who are anxious about COVID are more anxious about people not wearing masks because COVID hasn't disappeared even though you seem to think it has. Brighton has high numbers or do you not watch the news . Yes deaths have been reduced, but they have not been eliminated and nor has the incidence of long COVID.

Do you believe in an inclusive society or are you happy telling people who are vulnerable that they should not be going out. I guess you think wheel chair access shouldn't be encouraged either.

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
It’s not really down to the government IMO, they have issued clear guidance……it’s basically down to people deciding to be pricks or not.

If guidance doesn't work they might very well go back to parliament and legislate for it and then the proverbial person sitting on their own in a carriage on a late night train will have to wear a face covering again.

Failing that if Paul Barber sees attendances failing the club might start enforcing it.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
If guidance doesn't work they might very well go back to parliament and legislate for it and then the proverbial person sitting on their own in a carriage on a late night train will have to wear a face covering again.

Yep…..and that will be largely caused by people not being sensible now……….

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
I wear a mask to do my small bit to try and ensure we don't need to have a temporary lockdown ever again.

Thanks, I just wish others were appreciative of other people's positions as you. COVID has not gone , we can move forward so no lockdown but that doesn't have to mean we don't continue to take sensible precautions e.g. masks in enclosed areas and handwashing.

Fat Boy Fat

Aug 21, 2020
Yup.

Because, put quite simply, they are intrinsically selfish people and have zero empathy for others, their fears and concerns!

Luke93

STAND OR FALL
Jun 23, 2013
Shoreham
Like the majority of us I’m no expert. I have no idea what the “latest” scientific evidence regarding masks are. Effectiveness varies depending on the expert and our very government have provided contradictory advice for mask usage. For the record, I wear a mask and have done throughout the pandemic. But when walking around the Amex it’s clear a lot of people are either not fussed or are just going through the motions to attend the football. Masks in use just to walk into the stadium for example or using what’s clearly a reused disposable mask. Those masks are meant to be thrown away after use, not shoved in a dirty pocket and reused for the journey home.

I’m convinced at this point masks will have no effect at stopping COVID spreading at the AMEX because of the sheer number of people making mask wearing ineffective through misuse or no use. There’s no point confronting them though, just a waste of energy. People have made their choices and right or wrong, this is the ‘norm’ now. If anyone is uncomfortable with this situation I would fully understand and recommend just avoiding the AMEX. COVID in this current form or another will be around indefinitely. Despite the underlying risks though, now is the time to start taking that ‘leap’ to commence with life. With the majority double jabbed and hospitalisation remaining manageable, when is it time to take that step forward?

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Like the majority of us I’m no expert. I have no idea what the “latest” scientific evidence regarding masks are. Effectiveness varies depending on the expert and our very government have provided contradictory advice for mask usage. For the record, I wear a mask and have done throughout the pandemic. But when walking around the Amex it’s clear a lot of people are either not fussed or are just going through the motions to attend the football. Masks in use just to walk into the stadium for example or using what’s clearly a reused disposable mask. Those masks are meant to be thrown away after use, not shoved in a dirty pocket and reused for the journey home.

I’m convinced at this point masks will have no effect at stopping COVID spreading at the AMEX because of the sheer number of people making mask wearing ineffective through misuse or no use. There’s no point confronting them though, just a waste of energy. People have made their choices and right or wrong, this is the ‘norm’ now. If anyone is uncomfortable with this situation I would fully understand and recommend just avoiding the AMEX. COVID in this current form or another will be around indefinitely. Despite the underlying risks though, now is the time to start taking that ‘leap’ to commence with life. With the majority double jabbed and hospitalisation remaining manageable, when is it time to take that step forward?

The advice is not contradictory. The wearing of masks reduce the amount of airborne particles. Doesn't eliminate them but does reduce them. They are not irrelevant. A dirty mask is better than no mask because it still reduces how much you breath out into the space in front of you. However, you do need to wear it over the mouth and nose.

We are taking a leap back to normality but that shouldn't mean you don't take precautions.

D

Deleted member 22389

We are at the point where we need to normalise covid. Wearing masks when we are well is not necessarily useful behaviour - and it is not even encouraged by our government, let alone enforced.

I tested positive six weeks ago, I'm over it now thank god, but I was stuck indoors for 10 days worrying if my condition was going to get worse, worrying about the people I had been near especially my mum, and her friends who are all elderly.

This thing is not very nice when you catch it either. I felt bloody exhausted, I couldn't taste or smell or anything and apparently this was mild. People should wear a bloody mask especially in shops and other places. I have seen other people not bothering now, and quite frankly it pisses me off. It take 30 seconds to put on a mask, that's all.

Let's he how things go, we are slowly heading towards winter again, what we don't need is another lockdown, and we don't need poor people ending up in hospital again.

Last edited by a moderator:

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I fear we Brits are Existentialists, always testing the limits of freedoms and the consequences of stepping over lines, and questioning where the lines should be and, indeed whether the lines should in fact be curves, or even not existant at all :shrug:

You say this as if it's a bad thing. In reality it's what produces new freedoms and prevents a dictatorship. Always question and push the edges !

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
I find myself agreeing with nearly everyone on this thread. Even though the majority of people are talking a load of sh1te.

Utterly confusing times. I almost find myself feeling sorry for the stupidest ones of the lot. They haven't been mentioned yet, I don't know are they trying to keep everyone happy?

You don't HAVE to wear a mask now. A lot of people think it is the right thing to do, particularly indoors. The compromise is to wear a mask, but not cover your nose and in some cases just wear it as a sort of chinstrap.

The self analysis is also exhausting. You can't live you life on the basis that you might inadvertently infect someone who is vulnerable, yet I continue to wear a mask indoors to warn everyone else that we are also still vulnerable even if we don't think we are. The best protection possible today against Covid is to have been double jabbed AND to have had Covid. I don't want to have to get Covid to be better protected from getting Covid

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here