Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] This Is A Public Health Information Notice On Behalf Of...

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Prior to Covid I was self-employed, and when that work vanished overnight, I scrambled around for a job, any job, and ended up delivery driving for Tesco. The best pandemic education one could wish for, I reckon, outside of qualifying as an epidemiologist, or working on the frontline in a hospital or care-home. I can roughly divide the last 18 months into three parts: a. Fear (wtf is going on and how can we all help stop it); b. Frustration (when is this all going to end and how can we all help end it); c. Complacency (Most of us are double-vaxxed now so what's the point/it's not as bad as 'they' made us think).

In the first year or so, I met maybe a handful of people who said they had or had had Covid. In the last three months I've lost count and without exception they'd all had at least one jab, and they were all shocked to the core at how awful and scary the symptoms were.

So, yeah, wear a mask and keep testing. And don't spout "Freedom" at me or you soon may very well be wheezing "Free....dom" at me through your intubation.

I know of three people with Covid at the moment (I’ve not had direct contact with any of them), one being mt teenage grandson, who hasn’t been able to get his jab yet, and a woman who was meant to be getting married today. She’s had to rearrange it all for October.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
My wife tested positive today and we have been very careful throughout this poxy virus.
My lateral flow was negative, but we both went for PCRs this morning and I will be very surprised if I don’t catch the bugger.:smile::down:

I’m sorry your wife tested positive. I hope she isn’t feeling ill with it.

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
... absolutely no-one. Tho it absolutely should be. All you happy fans piling off the trains without a care, without a mask? All those mask-free beery shouty conversations on the concourses? Yeah right you're all invincible superheros. Aren't we all eh? Tho maybe your mum or nan isn't. You might just accidentally pass something on to them that causes them some serious health problems. You should have a serious word with yourselves. Plenty of festivals belatedly realising the reality. Educate yourself. Take a test. Before and after games. Wear a mask. Either that or just keep calm and carry on and don't give a shit about anybody other than your sefish self :shrug:
The problem, Tom, isn't that some people care about coronavirus and others don't. The problem is that people have different ideas as to what is proportionate.

There is a long line of possible reactions to the current situation, ranging from at one end total isolation and only eating tinned food which has been isolated for 3 days, and at the other end no restrictions at all. There is a huge range of other options including social 2-metre isolation, total mask wearing, occasional mask wearing only when on the move, avoidance of crowds, testing regularly or occasionally, etc. etc.

Your position is that social isolation is no longer necessary, attendance in large crowds is not a problem, masks should be worn when on the move, testing (but only lateral flow) should be done regularly regardless of symptoms. That's fine, a good and coherent strategy. Where it falls down is your assumption that it not just a correct strategy, you assume that it is the only correct strategy and anyone who doesn't have your exact opinion is a selfish [deleted]. It isn't true. They just have a marginally different view of the position to what you do.

There are people who think that 30k crowds are a risk too far. I do myself - I don't have a Burnley season ticket this season because I don't want to bring covid back to my mother. (OK, 20k crowds.) My football this year will be at Accrington and non-league. But do I call you a selfish [deleted] because you have a different opinion, and because you don't object to 30k crowds even though they may spread the disease as far as my mother? No,. I don't. Because I accept there is more than one viewpoint.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I meant calm down in respect to you calling people names. No need for it. If you are concerned about going into an area where people are adhering to the rules and are a risk, don't go. It's really that simple. It's not mandatory to attend football matches.

I have spent 18 months going into high risk places and being around very high risk people. I had no choice unless I quit my job. So when you are choosing to go into a high risk environment that you are not required to be anywhere near, I have little sympathy for you.

Peace :cheers:

Isn't that the problem, though? Southern have asked passengers to wear masks. The club have asked fans to wear masks when on the concourse and in crowded areas. THPP is, in his way, pointing out the fans are not doing this as they should be, as those with concerns about attending expect them to. To say 'well, don't go then' is letting the patients run the asylum. People who want to attend in line with the policies the club, B&H Buses, Southern and Thameslink have put in place to mitigate risks as much as possible shouldn't be forced out by people not bothering to follow these simple requests.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Those passing through the concourses to their seats should wear a mask stopping those wishing to eat and drink from getting covid. Seems obvious to me those pie munching beer swigging fellows don't deserve being infected by these selfish ones who gaily waltz past to the open air.

We all know a beer stops you from infecting anyone else.

I'd actually have a lot more sympathy for the beer / pie guzzlers on the concourses if they masked up while queueing for the kiosks to be fair, some were but many weren't

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Isn't that the problem, though? Southern have asked passengers to wear masks. The club have asked fans to wear masks when on the concourse and in crowded areas. THPP is, in his way, pointing out the fans are not doing this as they should be, as those with concerns about attending expect them to. To say 'well, don't go then' is letting the patients run the asylum. People who want to attend in line with the policies the club, B&H Buses, Southern and Thameslink have put in place to mitigate risks as much as possible shouldn't be forced out by people not bothering to follow these simple requests.

I agree. That is how it should be. However, it's not going to happen. Too many people just won't follow the rules. Personally I am not hugely concerned about Covid anymore but nor would I go to an event where I am asked to wear a mask and refuse to do so. I wear my mask where required.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
My take on it is, if someone claims to be so concerned with the potential for spreading Covid, hoping that 30,000 people are all going to comply is somewhat naive so they can't be that concerned or they would, like Thunderbolt, avoid the match altogether.

I would never assume a large crowd would comply. I would, however, expect the club would enforce it's own rules it's put in to grant access to the stadium by actually checking Covid status of arrivals. Otherwise it gives an air of false confidence to the concerned and opens them up for a backlash and people not to feel safe.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Yeah, I do get what you're saying. My take on it is, if someone claims to be so concerned with the potential for spreading Covid, hoping that 30,000 people are all going to comply is somewhat naive so they can't be that concerned or they would, like Thunderbolt, avoid the match altogether.

To repeat and simplify; anyone who claims to be concerned about Covid and then goes to a stadium with 30,000 people, is full of shite. IMHO :thumbsup:

My take on it is that I'll wear a mask when walking around and when on the trains, which we've done for both home games. However my take on it is also that those that don't are either incredibly ignorant or arrogant bunch of ***** who don't give a shit. We may be returning to a semblance of normality but it's not the one we had pre covid. Infections are going up as are deaths, you're more likely to be hospitalised due to the Delta variant than the previous incarnations of the virus. There are plenty of double jabbed people in hospital, some in a bad way. Add in the fact that a larger proportion of the population of Brighton and Hove than in other cities chose not to get vaccinated.

If you want to run the risk of taking a virus home and infecting your family then why should I give a damn, you don't. Maybe you'll take it home and someone will die, that will be on your conscience. I suspect there are many people up and down the country who have lost someone close at home and are wondering whether it came from them. Or, could be they only get long Covid but I guess that doesn't matter to many, after all, it's only flu!!!

I'm double jabbed and wear a mask but those that aren't and don't are the ones that are full of 'shite' but they won't stop me going to the game.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I would never assume a large crowd would comply. I would, however, expect the club would enforce it's own rules it's put in to grant access to the stadium by actually checking Covid status of arrivals. Otherwise it gives an air of false confidence to the concerned and opens them up for a backlash and people not to feel safe.

Agree with this. Club have scored a massive own goal by pandering to the ignorant.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I meant calm down in respect to you calling people names. No need for it. If you are concerned about going into an area where people are adhering to the rules and are a risk, don't go. It's really that simple. It's not mandatory to attend football matches.

I have spent 18 months going into high risk places and being around very high risk people. I had no choice unless I quit my job. So when you are choosing to go into a high risk environment that you are not required to be anywhere near, I have little sympathy for you.

Peace :cheers:

Fair enough. Respect for that post :cheers:

Tho I'm not going to stop calling people names. 90% and a bit more of Amex attendees are mask-dodgers, both on the trains and in the concourses. Does that mean I shouldn't go to the Amex and support my team? If it was purely about risk? For sure. I'm old, overweight, asthmatic. Oh and I aim to be in the Canaries in 3 weeks time. But should I just keep me mouth shut and let the mask-dodgers take over the asylum? Never gonna happen. Cheers :cheers:

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
I'd actually have a lot more sympathy for the beer / pie guzzlers on the concourses if they masked up while queueing for the kiosks to be fair, some were but many weren't
I don't
I was being ironic

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Agree with this. Club have scored a massive own goal by pandering to the ignorant.

They will have the devil's own job trying to get people to comply now. If you set boundaries and allow people to cross them, you're screwed.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Fair enough. Respect for that post :cheers:

Tho I'm not going to stop calling people names. 90% and a bit more of Amex attendees are mask-dodgers, both on the trains and in the concourses. Does that mean I shouldn't go to the Amex and support my team? If it was purely about risk? For sure. I'm old, overweight, asthmatic. Oh and I aim to be in the Canaries in 3 weeks time. But should I just keep me mouth shut and let the mask-dodgers take over the asylum? Never gonna happen. Cheers :cheers:

Fairs. I hope you have a good, safe time. Enjoy :thumbsup:

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
The problem, Tom, isn't that some people care about coronavirus and others don't. The problem is that people have different ideas as to what is proportionate.

There is a long line of possible reactions to the current situation, ranging from at one end total isolation and only eating tinned food which has been isolated for 3 days, and at the other end no restrictions at all. There is a huge range of other options including social 2-metre isolation, total mask wearing, occasional mask wearing only when on the move, avoidance of crowds, testing regularly or occasionally, etc. etc.

Your position is that social isolation is no longer necessary, attendance in large crowds is not a problem, masks should be worn when on the move, testing (but only lateral flow) should be done regularly regardless of symptoms. That's fine, a good and coherent strategy. Where it falls down is your assumption that it not just a correct strategy, you assume that it is the only correct strategy and anyone who doesn't have your exact opinion is a selfish [deleted]. It isn't true. They just have a marginally different view of the position to what you do.

There are people who think that 30k crowds are a risk too far. I do myself - I don't have a Burnley season ticket this season because I don't want to bring covid back to my mother. (OK, 20k crowds.) My football this year will be at Accrington and non-league. But do I call you a selfish [deleted] because you have a different opinion, and because you don't object to 30k crowds even though they may spread the disease as far as my mother? No,. I don't. Because I accept there is more than one viewpoint.

Really! The vast majority of those not wearing masks aren't doing so because they see it as a correct strategy. I would suggest the vast majority couldn't wait for masks not to be legally compulsory so they could ditch them regardless of the risks still involved. And let's be honest, the Government ditched them purely so they can absolve themselves from the responsibility and pass it on to individuals. Why don't they do the same about safety belts, having to have a driving licence etc etc.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

They all would wear a mask if they had one till for the maskless and the rest for those that comply!!!

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead

THPP isn’t calling out people with a slightly different approach. He is talking about people who couldn’t care less about any restrictions. Plenty of those at the Amex and the club is doing nothing about it as they concentrate on generating revenue.

Last edited:

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I agree. That is how it should be. However, it's not going to happen. Too many people just won't follow the rules. Personally I am not hugely concerned about Covid anymore but nor would I go to an event where I am asked to wear a mask and refuse to do so. I wear my mask where required.

Guy I played golf with for many years and he wasn’t concerned about COVID as he thought it wouldn’t affect him. We buried him two weeks ago.

I know some people don’t care about this, but personally it really goes against the grain where if someone is asked to put on a mask and by sheer bloody mindedness doesn’t.

This hasn’t gone away….80 people a day still die of it ( and yes more people are killed on the roads etc…I have heard it all)

As I said above, I am not going to be back until the arse game due to circumstances, but if what I saw on Saturday doesn’t change, I am not going back until it is safe to do so.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here