Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] This Is A Public Health Information Notice On Behalf Of...

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
If you are worried about catching Covid don’t go to a mass public event. Pretty simple.

Whilst people have to assess the risks and make a decision with the facts available, surely there can be compromises from all parties.

I struggle with why when people are in the concourses or on the train, they cannot wear a mask. But then I do not understand why the mask mandate was lifted, even the US states are starting to bring it back.

Am back in the UK in September and am intrigued and a little apprehensive as to how covid attitudes will be.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
It's the mentality of mask wearers that worries me. Non mask wearers are just normal people doing what people have always done, living their lives without covering their faces. The next thing if we're not careful will be a percentage of people wearing masks every winter because it's the flu season. We are in danger of becoming a nation of wimps.

Sorry (=Not Sorry) to have to break the news to you that you're in the tinfoil helmet minority. As opposed to the 'normal people' majority. But keep calm and carry on being selfish as f*ck. How was Churchill Square for YOU today btw?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
This thread is a great resource for discovering which NSC posters have a little bit of consideration towards their fellow human beings, and those who seem to be congenitally selfish*. Many thanks to the OP for setting up this little experiment.

*PS: Happy to hear a reasoned explanation as to why non mask-wearing in the concourses etc is NOT selfish.....

I must admit I started siding with [MENTION=33848]The Clamp[/MENTION], it's a 30,000 capacity arena with finite space and enclosed areas that you don't have to attend.
If you're mindful of your safety you most definitely aren't going to feel safe there.
I'm Jimmy Two Jabs and wearing a mask, although was thinking 'why am I bothering'.

But seeing the reaction to Barbie's open letter has flipped my opinion.

People are being proper shites and should be called out on it.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Can't be that long before those Sad Compo Faces start appearing in The Argus under the headline: 'The Amex Gave Me The Covid'. I reckon about 3 weeks

Cotton Socks

Skint Supporter
Feb 20, 2017
I am genuinely interested to understand the mentality of non mask-wearers. Simplistically, it is either ignorance or selfishness. In this case - given all the evidence - I have to conclude that it's ignorance. However, I guess you could ALSO be selfish? Or maybe there's another reason that I'm missing?

I have to confess that in my case it was simply forgetting! I wore it there on the bus & concourse (although I went straight to my seat) but when I came out & grabbed a quick drink I simply forgot to put it on. The concourse was empty because I had to do my 1st ever early leave though.
I did the same thing for the Getafe game but as I was a late leaver that time, the concourse was again empty. I did realise at the Getafe game that I was standing in a queue & quickly put my mask on pre match.
I have a memory like a sieve & I suppose when people around you aren't wearing masks you forget yourself. I'm not sure I'd put myself in the ignorant or selfish bracket, I just simply forgot. I go to the pub & don't have to wear one & I don't. I go to a supermarket & don't have to wear one... but I do. If you saw me without my mask, it wasn't a conscious decision, I'm simply a forgetful tw@t! :blush:

Fat Boy Fat

Aug 21, 2020
Is the earth flat and David Icke the messiah as well?

I understand it's part one of [MENTION=144]goldstone[/MENTION] inspirational talks...

Week 1 - Covid, a nation of wimps
Week 2 - Depression, pull yourself together man!
Week 3 - Homosexuality, put them in the army!
Week 4 - Donald Trump, is he really the Tango man
Week 5 - tbc

Fat Boy Fat

Aug 21, 2020
If you are worried about catching Covid don’t go to a mass public event. Pretty simple.

Normally I would agree, for that reason I wouldn't go to a festival.

However rules have been laid out by the public transport companies and Brighton & Hove Albion, rules, which if followed would make it safe(r) for everyone to attend.

At the top of this thread THPP expressed his opinion as to what he felt about these people.

Surely it's not too much to ask for people to abide by the rules so ALL Brighton fans can attend if they decide too, and aren't kept away because of the selfish "needs" of some...

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
It's the mentality of mask wearers that worries me. Non mask wearers are just normal people doing what people have always done, living their lives without covering their faces. The next thing if we're not careful will be a percentage of people wearing masks every winter because it's the flu season. We are in danger of becoming a nation of wimps.

It’s great that you are such a brave boy

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West

It might surprise you to learn that the world is a different place now. We cannot go back to "what we have always done". It's not wimpish to think about other people's health.

You seem to have misunderstood the whole concept of mask-wearing....it's not really for the benefit of the mask-wearer - it's to help protect those around you. If that sort of mentality worries you then you must be a very strange person.

PeterOut

Aug 16, 2016
Like you say, winter is coming. Flu season is coming.

A question for you to consider - would we be in a better or worse position come flu season if cases were lower now than what they currently are?

A question for you - would we reduce the risk of transmission and catching of both flu and Covid, if we continued to wear masks when in proximity of others?

If you agree that we would, do you think that might have a positive effect on the NHS, and allow it to catch up on the 5m+ backlog of operations, procedures and outpatient appointments that have built up, allowing people to get relief from all sorts of painful and debilitating conditions (not to mention massively reducing the propspect of even more NHS staff being infected while they care for people who have either of these infections, or just go about their normal off-duty lives)?

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
I have to confess that in my case it was simply forgetting! I wore it there on the bus & concourse (although I went straight to my seat) but when I came out & grabbed a quick drink I simply forgot to put it on. The concourse was empty because I had to do my 1st ever early leave though.
I did the same thing for the Getafe game but as I was a late leaver that time, the concourse was again empty. I did realise at the Getafe game that I was standing in a queue & quickly put my mask on pre match.
I have a memory like a sieve & I suppose when people around you aren't wearing masks you forget yourself. I'm not sure I'd put myself in the ignorant or selfish bracket, I just simply forgot. I go to the pub & don't have to wear one & I don't. I go to a supermarket & don't have to wear one... but I do. If you saw me without my mask, it wasn't a conscious decision, I'm simply a forgetful tw@t! :blush:

I went out properly for the first time last night, as a close colleague was leaving. Just 10 of us. I caught the train there, almost everyone on it was wearing masks. We sat outside to eat & drink, so far so good.

Then about 9-ish it got decidedly chilly, so we moved indoors thereby knowingly increasing our risk levels. The train home was carnage - absolutely packed full with drinkers returning to Barrow and elsewhere, not a mask to be seen. Would have been a bit pointless me putting one on and being the only person with a mask.

So - like you, I started out with all the good/right intentions - and then it just sort of falls away through forgetfulness, peer behaviours, and (obviously) drink. Won't be going out to the pub again in a hurry I don't think.

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West

What other things should we not do then, just so certain people don't have to undergo the VERY mild inconvenience of wearing a mask (for a relatively short period of time)? How about using public transport? Going shopping?

As Neville's Breakfast said, if you're not worried about catching Covid then there's definitely something wrong with you.

faoileán

Jan 29, 2021
Yet, you went yesterday. You're full of shite and should stop digging people out and calling them selfish. You're the most selfish of the lot; claiming to care but going anyway. Wind your neck in.

Come off it "The Clamp", all the OP is saying is that if people attending the match complied with the stark staring bleedin' obvious advice to wear a mask in crowded trains or concourses then the chances of passing on or receiving COVID are very much reduced. Vaccinated people are still getting it...

Luke93

STAND OR FALL
Jun 23, 2013
Shoreham
The advice is not contradictory. The wearing of masks reduce the amount of airborne particles. Doesn't eliminate them but does reduce them. They are not irrelevant. A dirty mask is better than no mask because it still reduces how much you breath out into the space in front of you. However, you do need to wear it over the mouth and nose.

We are taking a leap back to normality but that shouldn't mean you don't take precautions.

Our government have provided contradictory advice on masks. Start of the pandemic they were not advised. Then were. Now they’re only ‘recommend if you can”.

faoileán

Jan 29, 2021
Stop it will you, you moany old git. Life very much needs to get back to normal or we'll all go mad. If you can't handle it, then lock yourself away until there's no more Covid around which could be a very very very long time.

Particularly if people can't even follow the simple practice of wearing a mask for a short period of time...

I've been double jabbed and been in close contact with covid positive people without knowing. Never caught it(as far as I know) and test myself every week as a min and when been in close contact confirmed, do daily LFT tests as advised by track and trace. It's about living with the disease but being cautious. The family member who had it last week was 30 healthy and it still was quite unpleasant for him for a week although he had been jabbed once and believed he couldn't catch it as he'd been jabbed!

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Like you say, winter is coming. Flu season is coming.

A question for you to consider - would we be in a better or worse position come flu season if cases were lower now than what they currently are?

If hospital resources weren't tied up with COVID, then of course the NHS would be in a better position to cope so not quite sure what your point is. Hospitals are already as overstretched as they tend to be in winter. Of course, if even selfish people put up with the minuscule inconvenience of wearing a mask, that would also continue to reduce the transmission of flu and help even more.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here