Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

This could kick off!!!

• Thread starter Deleted User X18H
  • Start date

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
How old is the child? Children can not and do not have regligious beliefs. What they have is prejudices and superstitions imposed on them by adults.

Wow! Didn't know we had a professional theologian here?!

Aldo

Ruffian Revolution. STH.
Jul 15, 2008
Hove
If the mother wants her own child to be brought up inside her faith, then fair enough.

Plus this could offend Islam as well, so best not upset them :banana:

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
How old is the child? Children can not and do not have regligious beliefs. What they have is prejudices and superstitions imposed on them by adults.

Utter crap :thumbsup:

My father was an atheist my mother a christian but not an over bearing parent.

My sister and I were always given the choice wether we wanted to go to church.

My sister never went, I on the other hand liked going so i'd get myself ready even at the age of 7 every sunday and did so for many, many years.

My father was always going on about how their was no God, my mother let her children make up their own mind.

Which is why I believe, my sister doesnt.

So quite categorically I made up my own mind on what I did and didn't beleive in.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Good point - I should have put unless you're a follower of religious texts that persecute gay people.

I don't know of any such texts from the main faiths that support that view.

I do know of many bigots who (mis)interpret those texts to reinforce their prejudice though.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
She is the childs parent, and as such her views as to who raises her child and how they raise the child should come into play.

You're into a legal quagmire there. Being fostered isn't necessarily the first port of call in looking after children when the parents are incapacitated in some way. He is very possibly being fostered because no-one appropriate and close to the mother can be found. They do consider the mother's wishes, but quite rightly, they're a distant second to the child's immediate needs.

It's another aspect of the story we don't know - what caused the woman's breakdown. There could be other issues at play here.

No point giving the child to someone whose lifestyle and views are going to be completely polar to hers and her sons.

In this instance, we're not in a position to judge the boy's religious beliefs because we don't know what they are, apart from what the mother has been saying.

But that's the central point of this legal challenge, and the central point of our discussion on here - the mother's wishes, not the boy's. They may or may not be the same, but we shouldn't assume that they are. The council have found someone appropriate, as per their obligation. She is arguing that the obligation of the council should find someone (1) appropriate and (2) of Catholic faith.

He would have gone from mother to care to foster parents, back into care and then who knows...? This mother's challenge, with all of this to-ing and fro-ing is only going to make things more unsettling for the boy.

Wow! Didn't know we had a professional theologian here?!

So tell me, what age can children decide these kind of things for themselves, without the indoctrination of deluded believers in fantasy and fairy tales.

You lot are in for a hell of a shock whenh you read this 'new' bible that's been published today aren't you. The oldest extant one, that contains no mention at all of the resurection or the ascension.

All your delusions stripped away by one set of documents, it's going to be funny watching you all tie yourselves in knots trying to pretend this document isn't more accurate than the man-made fairy tale you currently believe in.

My sister never went, I on the other hand liked going so i'd get myself ready even at the age of 7 every sunday and did so for many, many years.

My father was always going on about how their was no God, my mother let her children make up their own mind.

So quite categorically I made up my own mind on what I did and didn't beleive in.

Are you a child?

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton

I think 'utter crap' is far too strong. There are people who let their kids make up their own mind, but there are far more that raise their kids according to their own belief (especially when both parents share their belief).

I remember listiening to a discussion with some right wing shock jock type discussing atheism and they seemed to suggest Catholic or Christian parents can raise their kids without forcing their religious belief on them, but atheist parents are incapable of letting their kids decide for themselves, which was entirely ridiculous.

It is equally ridiculous to suggest it's utter crap that a parents' religious belief will affect their kids.

If your mum had been jewish do you think you'd still be a catholic?

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
So tell me, what age can children decide these kind of things for themselves, without the indoctrination of deluded believers in fantasy and fairy tales.

You lot are in for a hell of a shock whenh you read this 'new' bible that's been published today aren't you. The oldest extant one, that contains no mention at all of the resurection or the ascension.

All your delusions stripped away by one set of documents, it's going to be funny watching you all tie yourselves in knots trying to pretend this document isn't more accurate than the man-made fairy tale you currently believe in.

This particular Bible doesn't include certain books. That's how a lot of old Bibles are. I'm not sure what your point is at all. What we use nowadays as modern Bibles are alagamations.

Read what Tyrone said from life experiences as an answer to your bigoted and prejudiced first paragraph.

Hang on, so it's more accurate? So you believe in this Bible then? Obviously you do otherwise it would be 0% accurate.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
But that's the central point of this legal challenge, and the central point of our discussion on here - the mother's wishes, not the boy's. They may or may not be the same, but we shouldn't assume that they are. The council have found someone appropriate, as per their obligation. She is arguing that the obligation of the council should find someone (1) appropriate and (2) of Catholic faith.

Perhaps this gives us a clue as to the mother's background.

If she was an abusive, drug addict i'm not sure she'd have much say at all as to where or to whom the child went too.

The fact the mother's wishes have been considered might indicate those handling the case at least think she's not a complete waste of space and worthy of some say into her childs care.

But I agree, not knowing the whole story its hard to know what is really going on.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
rubbish, its religion and you know it!!

Explain how the Two World Wars were created by following Religious texts, using specific examples from the Bible or the Koran.

Err....

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here