Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

This could kick off!!!

• Thread starter Deleted User X18H
  • Start date

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
I think 'utter crap' is far too strong. There are people who let their kids make up their own mind, but there are far more that raise their kids according to their own belief (especially when both parents share their belief).

So it's highly possible going by your arguement that once in the care of the gay couple they may impose their views on the child in their custody.

Would this be appropriate?

Probably not, which is why it's just eaiser to save more issues for the child to place them with a couple that matches the childs background better.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
so 178 years after jesus was supposed to have been born, 120-180 years after he was supposed to have been born and 70 years after he was supposed to have been born, at a time when lives were half as short as they are these days? Not Quite first hand evidence, is it?

They were historians. Historians write about History.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
FLAVIUS JOSEPHUS (37 - 100 A.D.) Josephus was a first century pharisee and historian of both priestly and
royal ancestry who provided important insight into first-century Judaism. Josephus was born only three years
after the crucifixion of Jesus, making him a credible witness to the historicity of Jesus.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
This may well be the shittest debate in the history of the internet.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
So it's highly possible going by your arguement that once in the care of the gay couple they may impose their views on the child in their custody.

Would this be appropriate?

Probably not, which is why it's just eaiser to save more issues for the child to place them with a couple that matches the childs background better.

Entirely possible, yes.

But, it's also possible that as foster parents they will be more open-minded about their children's beliefs. I mean, there isn't anything in the article that says they are refusing to let the kid go to his church of choice etc.

I'm with the camp that says we don't actually know enough about the ins and outs of the case.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I'm bored of it. The levels of ignorance are astoundingly high so there is no point.

Highfields Seagull

Jul 7, 2003
Bullock Smithy
You have a collection of stories, none of which were written down until many years after his supposed death by people who could never have met him. And on this you base you life?

May as well use lord of the rings as basis quite frankly. There is as much historical validity in that as the bible

I'm an athiest and therefore don't belive that Jesus was the son of some God. I do think that there probably was some guy called Jesus who existed who may have said some decent things about how we might all get along a lot better - i.e. treat others as you'd like to be treated.

This doesn't seem a bad way to run your life and actually seems to be at the heart of all religions. That people choose to act otherwise, and base this on 'religion' is a shame.

I have to say that I think religious fundamentalists and athiest fundamentalists are as bad as each other with their intollerant views.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
They were historians. Historians write about History.

The don't experience it, though. And there was less of a scientific community that tested and sourced and looked for evidence, so "oh jesus, yeah, my grandad met him" would be their source, and they'd go with it.

They were also men, men who are corruptible, through money or faith, by the church wanting to spread their religion, etc.

I should probably mention I'm not as sceptical as readingstockport about Jesus's existence. Just his comment was about people who had met him and you provided examples of people who would have existed after he died.

I wouldn't be surprised if jesus actually existed (whether supernatural, or merely a man who people followed and turned mythological over time), and would not be surprised if it was some fairytale told to kids in those days that lost it's fairytale status over time (such as the comic book-like origins of the holy grail mythology).

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Entirely possible, yes.

But, it's also possible that as foster parents they will be more open-minded about their children's beliefs. I mean, there isn't anything in the article that says they are refusing to let the kid go to his church of choice etc.

I'm with the camp that says we don't actually know enough about the ins and outs of the case.

Perhaps they would be suitable, we may never know.

Personally if an atheist parent didnt want their child placed with a family that held religious beliefs i'd support that line of thought to.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I have to say that I think religious fundamentalists and athiest fundamentalists are as bad as each other with their intollerant views.

I'm more agnostic, but find myself becoming more atheistic and more extreme in it when faced by people using religion as a hatred for their own bigotry (the one that annoys me most is people who say they hate homosexuals because the bible says so - given the bible also says shellfish is an abomination, among other things that people feel it's ok to ignore because it's not relevant today), I also become agnostic when people try to convert me or judge me based on their religion.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
The don't experience it, though. And there was less of a scientific community that tested and sourced and looked for evidence, so "oh jesus, yeah, my grandad met him" would be their source, and they'd go with it.

They were also men, men who are corruptible, through money or faith, by the church wanting to spread their religion, etc.

The same can be said about people who wrote on many subjects in the past.

Hannibal has no contemporary writers record his actual deeds and actions.

Most who did, did so after his apparent death.

And yet still today Hannibal the person is still recognised as having existed and did all that he is said to have done.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
FLAVIUS JOSEPHUS (37 - 100 A.D.) Josephus was a first century pharisee and historian of both priestly and
royal ancestry who provided important insight into first-century Judaism. Josephus was born only three years
after the crucifixion of Jesus, making him a credible witness to the historicity of Jesus.

? Someone who was born 3 years AFTER the DEATH of a person is a 'credible witness' ?

If I have a child in 3 years time I will get them to write the life and times of their well known mate Michael Jackson.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
? Someone who was born 3 years AFTER the DEATH of a person is a 'credible witness' ?

If I have a child in 3 years time I will get them to write the life and times of their well known mate Michael Jackson.

Im sure Michael would have liked to have touched them as well...

Scampi

One of the Three
Jun 10, 2009
Denton
A large number of secular writers have documented Jesus' existence and teachings. Stop showing yourself up.

CELSUS (~ 178 A.D.)
(120 - ~180 A.D.)
MARA BAR-SERAPION (Post 70 A.D)

Look them up.

You do know that Celsus wrote against christianity don't you?

Scampi

One of the Three
Jun 10, 2009
Denton

Josephus is evidence for the early Christians. He doesn't provide evidence of Christ. It's abit like saying the reporting of Tom Cruise's scientology is evidence that L Ron Hubbard's cult is the truth.

maxnug

Jun 9, 2008
the child would be bullied as f*** at school...now why would you want to put the kid thru that??

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
the child would be bullied as f*** at school...now why would you want to put the kid thru that??

The child would be bullied by the ignorant until they learn to accept and understand. That is like saying 40 years ago don't put any black kids in a school as they will only get bullied.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
The child would be bullied by the ignorant until they learn to accept and understand. That is like saying 40 years ago don't put any black kids in a school as they will only get bullied.

Yes but in this case it's not a gay couples child.

It's someone elses child.

If it was the gay couples own children then at least it's there own parents who have to deal with such issues.

Any kid would naturally resent anyone who caused them to be picked on for something that is nothing to do with them.

Not a healthy situation for the kid to be placed into.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here