Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

This could kick off!!!

• Thread starter Deleted User X18H
  • Start date

Starry

Captain Of The Crew
Oct 10, 2004
But if that mother relinquished her rights to that child by putting him up for adoption ( a dreadfully sad state of affairs), why should the council be obliged to respect her wishes when they are blatently homophobic.

Woudl she object if both parents were Jewish,or muslim,or black,or chinese, or scottish,or northern,or from the wrong part of Brighton,or from the wrong side of a street in Brighton, or from next door?

Who is she to say that these two would not make fantastic parents?

It is her who gave up the right to bring up that child!

doesn't read to me that the child has been put up for adoption, nor that the mother has had her parental rights terminated. just that she is unwell and currently unable to care for him and he needs to live elsewhere for now - hence the fostering.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
In fairness to the council, they are actin in response to lawyers. Suggesting the mother's homophobic/protective of their son's religion wishes were being ignored at first.

This isn't a case of the council acting of their own accord, or changing their own policies.

I think the bigger issue is that of the child's religion. I didn't see the age of the kid, how much he is aware of religion and how strong he believe in "his" religion. I mean, a two year old doesn't have much of a say in the religion he follows, doing whatever his parents force him to, a thirteen year old will have some sense of what he wants to follow (though there's still the issue of parental conditioning...).

So, your friends were turned down because they wanted to send a child to private school ?
I would say that they would have good grounds to appeal this decision then, as provided children are educated under the guidelines that cover the education of children generally, this is not a good enough reason to turn prospective parents down.
As for being overweight, social services do take prospective parents health into account but again, I would imagine this could be overturned on appeal provided they were able to show that they were aware of their own health issues and were possibly willing to address these issues.
If your friends are serious I would encourage them to keep trying.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
can't work out why gays want to have children in a non reproductive relationship :nono:

You said that just to cause contraversy surely ?

Weirdly, you can't choose your sexuality ( even though you might choose to stiffle it ) - why, if you're gay, wouldn't you want the possibility of the joys and delight of having children ? That pleasure should have nothing to do with your sexuality.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
i don't understand why that would kick off? a mother wants her child raised/placed in a home in accordance to their beliefs.

i sort of agree with what taybha says but we have been approved as foster parents and things from religion (we are active and practising in our faith) to vegetarianism to vaccinations came up and if my kids had to be placed away from their family home i would want them (so far as is possible) to be raised in line with their/our beliefs. of course, once our parental rights are terminated it is different.

i don't really see the issue.

Does that mean you would refuse to let your children be fostered by a couple who supported Manchester United?

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
He was showing all the signs of being severely autistic, and so was diagnosed as such, as his behaviour etc changed his doctors were forced to reconsider their diagnosis.
Which then is typical of the medical profesion these days in that with kids they are only to quick to diagnose a disorder of some sort when when in the majority of cases it's down to upbringing. I was listning to 5 live the other day and they had some chavy mum on there defending her 12 yo son who had been given an ASBO for stealing cars, blaming his special disorder of being scared of authority! I shit you not, nope if the gays want to adopt fine by me, although I was adopted in the late sixties and i'm not sure how i would have fared at school with regard to abuse lol.

Jan 30, 2008
You said that just to cause contraversy surely ?

Weirdly, you can't choose your sexuality ( even though you might choose to stiffle it ) - why, if you're gay, wouldn't you want the possibility of the joys and delight of having children ? That pleasure should have nothing to do with your sexuality.
why wouldn't you want to produce that child with a women :shrug:

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Nothing wrong with this. There is nothing to say the child is being given up for adoption. The mother is obviously trying to maintain a continuing relationship with the child with, I assume, the intention of getting the child back as soon as she is well enough to care for him/her. It makes perfect sense that every effort should be made to ensure any temporary foster home makes the transition back as smooth as possible.

If the child were being put up for adoption it would be different.

doesn't read to me that the child has been put up for adoption, nor that the mother has had her parental rights terminated. just that she is unwell and currently unable to care for him and he needs to live elsewhere for now - hence the fostering.

Both spot on.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
But if that mother relinquished her rights to that child by putting him up for adoption ( a dreadfully sad state of affairs), why should the council be obliged to respect her wishes when they are blatently homophobic.

Woudl she object if both parents were Jewish,or muslim,or black,or chinese, or scottish,or northern,or from the wrong part of Brighton,or from the wrong side of a street in Brighton, or from next door?

Who is she to say that these two would not make fantastic parents?

It is her who gave up the right to bring up that child!

She isn't saying they couldn't be great parents, but for a practising Roman Catholic child they aren't appropriate because they can't take the child to church and meet the childs spiritual needs.

This child obviously feels strongly about their own faith so it's easier for the child to fit in if the parents share similar beliefs.

This isn't about the gay foster parents needs, it's about the childs.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
She isn't saying they couldn't be great parents, but for a practising Roman Catholic child they aren't appropriate because they can't take the child to church and meet the childs spiritual needs.

This child obviously feels strongly about their own faith so it's easier for the child to fit in if the parents share similar beliefs.

This isn't about the gay foster parents needs, it's about the childs.

Read the story again.

The reason for the council reviewing the case (they still might place the child back with the same foster parents) is because of a legal argument brought about by the mother's religious needs, which conflict with the concept of single-sex parents.

Point is, no-one except the mother is arguing the case for the child's religious needs (indeed, the child's religious beliefs are not even mentioned, and they appear not to be part of the legal argument).

You're right about it not being to do with the foster parents' needs, but then no-one (until your post there) said it was.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
It's the needs of the child which is paramount.

Not the needs of the mother's religious beliefs.

Exactly. The child wanted to be with Catholic foster parents.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
The child seems to be continuing onwith their own religious beliefs without the mother present.

Which means the religious aspect is part of the childs needs.

Not necessarily. Admittedly a huge amount of the story isn't being told here but...

• Nowhere does it say that the boy's religious 'needs' are not being met
• Nowhere does it say that this is what the boy wants or indeed what his needs are, so we don't know what he wants - and no-one is in a position to say you do.

The crux of the story is that the mother's religious beliefs - not necessarily the boy's - are dictating that she doesn't want the boy to be with same-sex parents. The point is, her religious beliefs are not going to come high on the list of priorities for the boy's welfare.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Not necessarily. Admittedly a huge amount of the story isn't being told here but...

• Nowhere does it say that the boy's religious 'needs' are not being met
• Nowhere does it say that this is what the boy wants or indeed what his needs are, so we don't know what he wants - and no-one is in a position to say you do.

The crux of the story is that the mother's religious beliefs - not necessarily the boy's - are dictating that she doesn't want the boy to be with same-sex parents. The point is, her religious beliefs are not going to come high on the list of priorities for the boy's welfare.

The 1989 Children Act requires councils to ‘give due consideration’ to the child’s religion when choosing foster parents.

The mother told the Mail on Sunday: “I am so happy and relieved. So is my son. Our religion is very important to us.”
===================================

Admittedly she could be talking for him here, but it does seem he wishes to be with a family similar in lifestyle to his own, and of course he would, no? Who wouldn't?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here