Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[NSC] Things your kids would NEVER understand...

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Walking to school (about 1.5 miles) along the Upper Shoreham Road with my friends from about 8 years old, and being allowed to cross the road to play in Buckingham Park for an hour after school.
As kids in the 50's/60's we were given a lot more freedom and were left to our own devices quite a lot, but we made our own amusements and I certainly never felt neglected, in fact I think it gave us a much greater sense of responsibility.

This is probably the biggest difference. When I was growing up, we didn't have a car and none of my friends' families had cars. We walked a lot: I walked to school (I lived in Moulsecoomb and went to Bevendean, so it was a reasonable hike over the Downs). I remember one Sunday playing in a chess match at Woodingdean and six of us walked from Bevendean to Woodingdean school. It's actually not all that far, but if parents sent a group of 10/11 year olds out like that now there would be queries about their parenting abilities.

Shower???

You were lucky :)

Yeah, for the first 12 years of my life, we made do with a weekly bath, but just before I started my paper round, we had a shower installed. Luxury!

Hampden Park

Ex R.N.
Oct 7, 2003
putting the empty milk bottles out when the little white dot appeared in your telly.

having to cut the mould off your cheese when you got it out of the larder.

peeing onto ice in the outside loo.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I'm a few years older than you but I was trying to remember council estates in that area.
I guess Clarendon Road, where we lived until moving to St Giles Close in 1971, and Wilmot Road plus the streets around were all made up of council houses.

So mentioning St Giles Close and back to the thread. This was a council estate and not very old but had no kind of heating other than a fireplace in the lounge diner. The windows were single glazed and made of metal, I think they were called crittal windows, so during the winter there would be ice on the inside of the bedroom window. My dad would just have a single parafin heater in the upstairs landing to heat all three bedrooms.
The windows never got changed until around '83 so what I used to do was listen to music in my room whilst laying face down, fully clothed on top of the bed covers to transfer body heat down into the bed. Eventually it would get warm enough to climb in after getting pyjamas on in the icy air in a matter of seconds.
If only hot water bottles were around in those days lol

Edit to say that was supposed to have quoted [MENTION=263]zefarelly[/MENTION] doh!

Concrete coal bunker ? :eek:

we were in a flat, Arundel court . . . only there 6 months and thankfully onward and upward. my cousoin was in a similar house in Steyning . . . . if you think crittal windows are cold, you should try a wooden houseboat! although to be fair, we're much more resilient when we're 10!

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Watching snooker and darts players necking pints and smoking fags.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
This is probably the biggest difference. When I was growing up, we didn't have a car and none of my friends' families had cars. We walked a lot: I walked to school (I lived in Moulsecoomb and went to Bevendean, so it was a reasonable hike over the Downs). I remember one Sunday playing in a chess match at Woodingdean and six of us walked from Bevendean to Woodingdean school. It's actually not all that far, but if parents sent a group of 10/11 year olds out like that now there would be queries about their parenting abilities.

Yeah, for the first 12 years of my life, we made do with a weekly bath, but just before I started my paper round, we had a shower installed. Luxury!

Same re cars and baths! . . . . we used to go to beach green and play football all day, if we got thirsty there was a tap on the outside of the toilets for drinking water, and if we got hot we went for a swim in the sea . . . . I guess we only ever popped home to get some food. occaisionally someone would come and shout for us to come in for tea and it was always a reluctant trudge home . . . . I think kids life these days is the polar opposite.

we used to get to school for 8am on the dot to play football before school.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Jumping off the bus when it was still moving

Spending Sunday afternoons with your dad looking around used car showrooms

Taping the charts from the radio

Dialling 16 to listen to a chart topper

Can someone remind me of the game that included standing with your feet together then kicking one foot against the other to move something. Was it part of marbles??

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
No house phone, no central heating, no hot water without boiling a kettle or lighting a coal fire, no fridge, no freezer, no car (just a precarious side-car on my dad's motor bike), no double glazing, no cavity wall or loft insulation, six people and one loo, 405-line B&W TV, going outside to fill the coal scuttle, a "snake" draught excluder for the door, hot water bottles, Johnny Astro (worst Xmas present ever), fuzzy felt, chillblains, 3 sisters, toys made of tin and lead, nothing to do after Sunday school, building "castles" in the corn fields , collecting Victorian pennies, florins and farthings, mum cleaning for posh people who gave us kids postage stamps from exotic places, "being" Law, Best and/or Charlton, boring Pompey always on TV, no games of chance at the school fete, wet leather footballs you couldn't kick, no thoughts of jobs or mortgages.

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro

Weekly bath, and the same shirt all week?! Or was that just me? (Honestly can't remember how often we changed underwear!)

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
Mid week power cuts in the evening.

Vesta curry with crispy noodles. And the height of dining sophistication was anyone who had a Hostess trolley.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Do kids still have part time jobs? Seems to be a rise in teenagers claiming they cant handle the pressure of schoolwork and manning a till 8 hours a week. Or is that a myth?

Do kids still have part time jobs? Seems to be a rise in teenagers claiming they cant handle the pressure of schoolwork and manning a till 8 hours a week. Or is that a myth?

The young Pottings both manage regular shifts on tills and filing shelves

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Weekly bath, and the same shirt all week?! Or was that just me? (Honestly can't remember how often we changed underwear!)

A generation too late to have detachable (stiff) collars -- thankfully - although my Dad had them when I was young. The raison d'etre for detachable collars was, of course, same shirt all week, but clean collar every day!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here