Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[NSC] Things your kids would NEVER understand...

Happy Exile

NSC Patron
Apr 19, 2018
Probably been mentioned but 1/2p pieces and 1/2p sweets. Also A and B films at the cinema, and smoking literally everywhere. Remember going to see Ghostbusters, and for whatever reason Jason and the Argonauts was the B film, and the right hand side of the cinema being set aside for smokers and it just being a deep fog of fag smoke.

MTSeagulls

Sep 18, 2019
Ha ha i vaguely remember that at Buckingham. I certainly remember it at break times.

I was at Buckingham too until 1977 I think.
Miss Barker was Head Mistress and there was a Mrs Goldsmith and a Mr Thomas who slapped me on the back of the legs for sitting on the climbing frame whilst having an asthma attack.
Happy days

Happy Exile

NSC Patron
Apr 19, 2018
I recently found two rolls of film that must be more than 20 years old (as that was the last time I had a 35mm camera). I have no idea what's on them or whether the photos are any good.

I can't decide whether to get the processed or not - they were from before I met Mrs Gwylan and they may well be of the previous missus

Definitely do it unless it'll cause you problems! I found a disposable camera in the loft a few months ago and got it developed to see that I'd obviously taken to a few England games at Wembley in the 90s. Utterly rubbish photos I'd have binned at the time probably, but now a real memory box that's good to look back at. Inspired me to get back in touch with the mate I went with in those days, and that in turn made watching the Euros from home more fun, just like old times with someone I never should have lost touch with, chatting away on WhatsApp during the games.

Dancin Ninja BHA

Jul 6, 2003
Getting Luncheon Vouchers to pay for lunch, as no in-house canteen to purchase grub .......or the hint of apps to purchase food and have it delivered.

Aug 13, 2020
Darlington
Magazine Subscriptions? Still a thing for kids?

You can subscribe to YouTube channels, I'd guess that's the closest thing.

I've subscriptions to When Saturday Comes and Private Eye, the former because I thought I should, the latter actively makes me less likely to read it, as I used to buy it at train stations to read on the train, but rarely get around to reading it when it's delivered.

Barrow Boy

NSC Patron
Nov 2, 2007
GOSBTS
I was at Buckingham too until 1977 I think.
Miss Barker was Head Mistress and there was a Mrs Goldsmith and a Mr Thomas who slapped me on the back of the legs for sitting on the climbing frame whilst having an asthma attack.
Happy days

Miss Barker had just taken over as Headmistress when I started at Buckingham Road in 1959 and Mrs Goldsmith was there then as well. I left there in 1964 and the next time I met Mrs Goldsmith was in 1974 in the downstairs private bar of The Ferry in Shoreham when I was on my stag night pub crawl, she remembered me and bought me a double brandy!
:lolol:

MTSeagulls

Sep 18, 2019
Miss Barker had just taken over as Headmistress when I started at Buckingham Road in 1959 and Mrs Goldsmith was there then as well. I left there in 1964 and the next time I met Mrs Goldsmith was in 1974 in the downstairs private bar of The Ferry in Shoreham when I was on my stag night pub crawl, she remembered me and bought me a double brandy!
:lolol:
Don't want to sidetrack the thread but Mrs Goldsmith had a thing in the morning where she asked you what you had for dinner the night before. You had to answer without an erm or err in your response.
Something I still never do to this day when talking.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
On my First ever lads holiday I took £350 spending money. This was in the form of 7 x £50 Travellers Cheques where I cashed in one a day to spend at the local Bureau de change in Playa del Inglés.

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
Being able to get on a ferry and swan off to Europe for the summer.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
You can subscribe to YouTube channels, I'd guess that's the closest thing.

I've subscriptions to When Saturday Comes and Private Eye, the former because I thought I should, the latter actively makes me less likely to read it, as I used to buy it at train stations to read on the train, but rarely get around to reading it when it's delivered.

For a while me and Mrs GB had a Which Money subscription. Considering they're supposed to be consumer champions it was paid by debit card rather than DD and thus took some effort to cancel. And considering it was meant to help us with money we were spending for something we never read :facepalm:

Anyway, has anyone mentioned a dinner of Findus Crispy Pancakes followed by Angel Delight yet? :sick:

Aug 13, 2020
Darlington
For a while me and Mrs GB had a Which Money subscription. Considering they're supposed to be consumer champions it was paid by debit card rather than DD and thus took some effort to cancel. And considering it was meant to help us with money we were spending for something we never read :facepalm:

Anyway, has anyone mentioned a dinner of Findus Crispy Pancakes followed by Angel Delight yet? :sick:

I briefly had a subscription to Which when I was buying my first television.

It's the best 42" television money can buy. Not my words, those of Which magazine (or website, whatever). Or at least it was about 6 months ago. Also it doesn't have the all4 app on it. But now I've got an entirely separate firestick stuck in the back of it, it's all good.

Also, it's entirely incompatible with my DVD player/stereo.

I've cancelled the Which subscription now.

Edit: I've not encountered angel delight since I was at primary school. Which, rather worryingly, based on this thread may as well have been in the 60s bar wiping my bottom with old newspaper.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Definitely do it unless it'll cause you problems! I found a disposable camera in the loft a few months ago and got it developed to see that I'd obviously taken to a few England games at Wembley in the 90s. Utterly rubbish photos I'd have binned at the time probably, but now a real memory box that's good to look back at. Inspired me to get back in touch with the mate I went with in those days, and that in turn made watching the Euros from home more fun, just like old times with someone I never should have lost touch with, chatting away on WhatsApp during the games.

Yeah, I think I'll do that. I won't tell Mrs G in case there's something on them I don't want her to see.

The mum of a work colleague of mine apparently has a cupboard full of Angel Delights. It's the 'go-to' dessert at her house.

Yes, I thought they'd died a death years ago ... but apparently not

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

We had Instant Whip. I don't know if I should look up or down at you.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here