Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[NSC] Things your kids would NEVER understand...

schmunk

Centrist Dad
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
A generation too late to have detachable (stiff) collars -- thankfully - although my Dad had them when I was young. The raison d'etre for detachable collars was, of course, same shirt all week, but clean collar every day!

My children often wear the same shirts to school several days in a row...

...except they're now washed and dried (but not ironed - thank you, tumble dryer!) each night inbetween.

getz

Jan 15, 2010
Work colleagues retiring at 65, only to hear they were dead a year later.

The first taste of lager at 15 and wonder what the fuss was all about.

Game of marbles in the playground.

schmunk

Centrist Dad
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
Game of marbles in the playground.

My children's school has recently acquired several outdoor table tennis and table football tables. Don't know they're born...

Eddiespearritt

May 23, 2012
Central Europe
Watching a match "live" on Teletext and hoping that the score might change.

Taking photos on a camera and not knowing for about 3 months if they were any good, or even in focus.

Reagulls

Jul 22, 2013
Do kids still have part time jobs? Seems to be a rise in teenagers claiming they cant handle the pressure of schoolwork and manning a till 8 hours a week. Or is that a myth?

from the age of 12 I had 3 paper rounds on a Sunday, I wasn't allowed do a weekly one for some reason.
for those that know Hurstpierpoint, my first 2 were in Highfield drive and College lane that were completely the other end of the village (paper shop was opposite the Church)
they were the posh houses so all had the heavy Sunday papers with loads of supplements.

I used to cycle with one bag over each shoulder and hide one in a friends garden while I did the first one, then come back and pick up the bag to do the second.
the third was Cuckfield Road which was thankfully a lighter round but I earnt £12 in total (this would have been about 1986) that I could use and save up for the love of my life at the time....Skateboarding.

Christmas tips were good some years although it seemed like the richer the occupants the less (if any) tips you got

getz

Jan 15, 2010
Seeing a doctor face to face
Taking a spoonful of malt and vitamin pills soon after the war.
Buying sweets with rationing stamps

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
Cod liver oil.......cigarette cards against the wall New England School HH, now an Academy!! .................B/W TV the only way to seperate some teams by the tops of their stockings

Nitram

Jul 16, 2013
Riding a motorbike without a helmet - oh hang on.
Darth Vader explaining the virtues of the Green Cross Code.
Squirrels were red.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Giving my mate a glass of Robinsons barley juice, then thinking he had a little bit of a cheek when he glugged some back and then topped his glass up with more water.

rigton70

Jul 5, 2003
There was a dog called Woody that lived up Victoria Road in Shoreham who used to walk himself round towm. He would actually sit at the zebra crossing waiting to cross. he was also excellent at football. Funnily enough I bumped into his owner a few weeks ago.

There were a few dogs down Stoney Lane on the council estate you'd give a wide berth . . .likewise half the kids down there!

Oi i had a few mates that lived down there. Your right about the dogs though.

Happy Exile

NSC Patron
Apr 19, 2018
Having to ask your parents for a cheque, or going down the post office to get a postal order so you could send off to buy things that weren't available in the local shops. You'd only know other things were available to buy because of adverts in magazines.

Fiskmås

My kids are 3 and 7, and I'm honestly shocked by the things they're shocked by. I've been trying to explain tv channels lately, and they just can't wrap their heads around them. Just who is that asshole who thinks he/she has the right to decide what we're supposed to be watching right now? Unskippable commercials? Pure torment.

We have a long way to go before I can try to explain the heartbreak when your favourite mixtape was eaten by the cassette deck. Or the excitement when picking up a film roll that's taken three days to develop, only to realise that you looked like a moron in all 24 pictures.

Overheard my daughter chatting with my sister-in-law a few weeks ago. 'You didn't have smartphones?! Or iPads?! So you had to do everything with your smartwatches?!'.

rigton70

Jul 5, 2003
Same re cars and baths! . . . . we used to go to beach green and play football all day, if we got thirsty there was a tap on the outside of the toilets for drinking water, and if we got hot we went for a swim in the sea . . . . I guess we only ever popped home to get some food. occaisionally someone would come and shout for us to come in for tea and it was always a reluctant trudge home . . . . I think kids life these days is the polar opposite.

we used to get to school for 8am on the dot to play football before school.

Ha ha i vaguely remember that at Buckingham. I certainly remember it at break times.

Happy Exile

NSC Patron
Apr 19, 2018
Two postal deliveries a day. Great on birthdays when you'd get some cards before school and come home go find more had come in the second post.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Taking photos on a camera and not knowing for about 3 months if they were any good, or even in focus.

I recently found two rolls of film that must be more than 20 years old (as that was the last time I had a 35mm camera). I have no idea what's on them or whether the photos are any good.

I can't decide whether to get the processed or not - they were from before I met Mrs Gwylan and they may well be of the previous missus

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Two postal deliveries a day. Great on birthdays when you'd get some cards before school and come home go find more had come in the second post.

And for drawing out the agony of getting no cards on Valentine’s Day. Twice :lolol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here