Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[NSC] Things your kids would NEVER understand...

R. Slicker

Jan 1, 2009
I-Spy books.
Football diaries.
Blue Peter Albums.
Peter Bonetti goalie gloves.
Alan Ball football boots.
Football sock garters.
Howzat cricket game.
Telegrams.
Green Shield stamps.
Bazooka Joe bubble gum.
Score’n’Roar.
It’s a Knockout.

:rock:We didn't start the fire :rock:

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Yep. I had to leave for school at 7.40 so I had to make sure the paper round was done by 7.00 so I could have shower and breakfast before school. I probably would have done paper round sooner if I hadn't stopped to read the papers on the way.

My round BTW was about 90% Daily Mirror, about 5% Express and about 5% all the rest (I had no Guardian, Times or FT. There was one Telegraph, counter-balanced by one Morning Star)

Shower???

You were lucky :)

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Had these for a few years after my parents split up. . . gettyimages-888837046-1024x1024.jpg

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
I was born in 1953, here's a few things that kids today would struggle to understand,

Rationing from WW2 didn't end officially until 1954, some things had been de-rationalised before but meat/bacon and sweets were the last, this was 9 years after the bloody war had ended!
We only had one TV channel in the south until ITV started Southern Television in 1958,(London area had ITV from 1955), but we couldn't receive it.
BBC2 started in 1964, so we then had the grand total of three channels !!!
'Jacko' rollerskates, with leather strap-on toe caps and ankle straps were the business in 1962, their main rivals were 'Davies' skates, and kids with these were derided by the 'Jacko' lads, a good analogy would be "Bus Wankers" from The Inbetweeners.
My pride and joy was a red Mobo scooter with yellow wheels and a rear brake.
Wagon wheels were definitely bigger back in the 1960's, and we had a thing called 'Cremola Foam' which came in a tin like Andrews Liver Salts, it came in various fruit flavours and you mixed a teaspoon of it in cold water to get a very frothy (slightly fizzy) drink.
The Corona lorry used to deliver bottles of fizzy drink weekly, we also had a bakers van who delivered twice weekly and a Fishmongers van weekly, coal was delivered weekly.
When the Rag and Bone man's horse and cart came round my mum used to fly out and shovel up a bucket of horse shit for her roses.
The yearly visit from the French 'Onion Johnny', on his bike with onions tied together strung across his handlebars, He wore the classic blue and white striped shirt and black beret with a red cravat tied round his neck, I know this sounds like an episode of 'Allo, Allo' but it was true.
Walking to school (about 1.5 miles) along the Upper Shoreham Road with my friends from about 8 years old, and being allowed to cross the road to play in Buckingham Park for an hour after school.
As kids in the 50's/60's we were given a lot more freedom and were left to our own devices quite a lot, but we made our own amusements and I certainly never felt neglected, in fact I think it gave us a much greater sense of responsibility.
I could write a book about how different my life was, compared to kids today, growing up in the 1950's and 60's, but it was a completely different era which had totally different values and attitudes. We didn't have much, we only went on holiday twice, between 1957 and 1966, but my parents managed to buy their own house and gave me a safe, happy and loving environment to grow up in, you can't ask for much more than that.
Sorry I've rambled on a bit, you do that when you get old!

Superb post.
So many memories and you are so right about how it made us.

I remember growing up in Woodingdean and riding a roller skate nailed to a short plank down Vernon Avenue and hoping we could stop before going into Warren Road.
We could go out on the Downs behind the Falmer road and be out all day. There were valleys full of rabbits which disappeared when you shouted or clapped your hands.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
The sheer delight of finding a copy of Club International or Men Only discarded in a fit of wankgst by a neighbour in a nearby bongo bush, and then taking ages to work out which one of the ladies therein you would chuck your muck over first.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Gob stoppers

Medicine balls

Playing football in the street outside your house

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Superb post.

I remember growing up in Woodingdean and riding a roller skate nailed to a short plank down Vernon Avenue and hoping we could stop before going into Warren Road.
We could go out on the Downs behind the Falmer road and be out all day. There were valleys full of rabbits which disappeared when you shouted or clapped your hands.

I lived just off Falmer Road too!

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
Going on a day out to something your parents wanted to see, not having the entire day based around what the kids what to do, what the kids want to eat, how the kids feel.
“We are going round this country manor, I don’t want to hear any moaning and if, IF your well behaved you might get an ice cream at the end”.

Brilliant. This is so true. This is my holidays in France as a kid. “Oh another chateau, brilliant” we used to go with our cousins every year and we still laugh about one occasion the ice cream stall was closed so all we got was an out of date Mars bar from a vending machine. Looking back I do actually remember the holidays well but if we just sat by the pool all day then I wouldn’t. Plus the saumur tank museum gave me something to discuss with my now father in the law the first time I met him.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
The Albion training at BHASVIC as the pitches there were better than the ones they usually used.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
When Corona meant a lorry full of fizzy drinks that would come around every Saturday, and you would have to choose between cream soda or cherryade, rather than a global pandemic.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Brilliant. This is so true. This is my holidays in France as a kid. “Oh another chateau, brilliant” we used to go with our cousins every year and we still laugh about one occasion the ice cream stall was closed so all we got was an out of date Mars bar from a vending machine. Looking back I do actually remember the holidays well but if we just sat by the pool all day then I wouldn’t. Plus the saumur tank museum gave me something to discuss with my now father in the law the first time I met him.

Oh, it’s served me well as an adult. Nothing I like more than visiting places of historic interest these days. And I can have all the ice cream I want!!

DavidRyder

Jul 23, 2013
£1.99 Mastertronic games, how I loved them! There's part of me that wants to buy an old Spectrum and get the games again, but I'm guessing it'll be a case of you should never go back - won't be the same!

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Being told by your mum not to use the landline phone until after 6pm when it is cheaper.

Always wear clean underwear, in case you are in an accident :lolol:

NEVER go out with wet hair, you’ll catch a cold

Having to take a tin bath in front of the fire on a winter’s evening with water from a kettle to heat it up. If you were a bit poor, a once a week bath at the municipal building

Outside toilets with cut up newspaper as loo roll

MTSeagulls

Sep 18, 2019
I'm a few years older than you but I was trying to remember council estates in that area.
I guess Clarendon Road, where we lived until moving to St Giles Close in 1971, and Wilmot Road plus the streets around were all made up of council houses.

So mentioning St Giles Close and back to the thread. This was a council estate and not very old but had no kind of heating other than a fireplace in the lounge diner. The windows were single glazed and made of metal, I think they were called crittal windows, so during the winter there would be ice on the inside of the bedroom window. My dad would just have a single parafin heater in the upstairs landing to heat all three bedrooms.
The windows never got changed until around '83 so what I used to do was listen to music in my room whilst laying face down, fully clothed on top of the bed covers to transfer body heat down into the bed. Eventually it would get warm enough to climb in after getting pyjamas on in the icy air in a matter of seconds.
If only hot water bottles were around in those days lol

Edit to say that was supposed to have quoted [MENTION=263]zefarelly[/MENTION] doh!

Last edited:

Barrow Boy

NSC Patron
Nov 2, 2007
GOSBTS
Superb post.

You've started me now!
Me and my best mate rollerskated from shoreham to Portslade one summer holiday to visit his Nan who lived near the top of Foredown Drive, getting up there was a bit of a struggle especially when we found the old biddy wasn't home! I know we could/should have taken our skates off, but we were 9 year old kids, so we didn't. Coming back down Foredown Drive was fantastic, we probably reached about 20mph, then realised the main road was getting very close and ended up having to dive into a house's front garden hedge to avoid instant death! We thought it was hilarious, but I never told my mum about it until 5 years later, I could out run her by then!
Happy days.

:lolol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here