Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[NSC] Things your kids would NEVER understand...

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Good to hear :thumbsup:

Trouble is, Grumps will be doing it for him. Back in the day we did everything ourselves. Only really saw your Mum and Dad during the Summer holidays when it was time to be called in for tea, if they were lucky!

And the playing cards would only be spotted missing next time Dad had his mates round for an evening of 3 card brag :wink:

Hoping that a pram (Yes remember Prams) would be left out for rubbish so we could nick the wheels and make a go cart.

(In some parts of the country I suspect that they just nicked the wheels of a pram left outside a shop!)

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Hoping that a pram (Yes remember Prams) would be left out for rubbish so we could nick the wheels and make a go cart.

(In some parts of the country I suspect that they just nicked the wheels of a pram left outside a shop!)

We made a go kart 6 or 7 years ago over the summer holiday . . . it is so difficult to find good wheels now.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I am very immature, to be fair.

I think it was you who said something along the lines of you'd rather eat your own face than Skype a mate just for a catch-up chat. That made me laugh. :lolol:

paulfuzz

Apr 17, 2019
Kings Lynn
I have a few,
Hiding from the Rent/Gas/Electric/Insurance man.
TV was an item of furniture
Radio Grams with and record player and record storage space.
Those things that go in the middle of singles
Records Slipping if you stacked too many on the player
Pipkins, Hartley Hare and pig
Saturday morning cinema
The Hendon street kids!! they were a rough bunch
Corner shops on nearly every corner
Bath in the kitchen (Once a week whether you needed it or not)
Having the blackboard rubber thrown at you it you weren't paying attention.
Mackerel fishing off Newhaven pier

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Saturday morning cinema

That still exists - I have some horrific memories of seeing some truly terrible films on Saturdays. I never want to see another Alvin and the Chipmunks.

It was great when the kids were old enough to go by themselves. We'd dump them at the flicks, do some shopping, have a coffee and collect them at the end

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Renting appliances from Radio Rentals.
I remember some extraordinary faff involved when Mother finally traded her old top loading machine for a modern machine that didn’t require wooden tongs.
Multiple signatures from my Dad (women were not allowed to rent a machine without a male’s signature, even in the 80’s) and I recall it being forever on the fritz.

Dancin Ninja BHA

Jul 6, 2003
I genuinely miss cassettes.

I still use them at the gym..............in my Walkman!!

Probably one of the few in England that still do this but what the hell, I don't care! All my old dance music is on there and that's what I like to listen to when I go (rarely admittedly!) to the gym

Petunia

Living the dream
NSC Patron
May 8, 2013
Downunder
Waiting for the second post on your birthday to see if there were any more cards!

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
NSC Patron
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Hmm ...In 1979, I was refused service in the King and Queen for being underage - I was 22 at the time.

There were plenty of pubs that wouldn't serve kids underage. The trick was to find ones that did and stick to them. My mates and I drank in the Stanmer on Fiveways because they never questioned us - other pubs were a bit hit and miss.

Strangely, there seemed to be no restrictions on fags. My dad would send me down to the local shop to pick up some snout for him.

My first ever pint was in the Castle in Worthing.
I went in with mates one week, and when asked my age, I fluffed it and said I was 16, ( I was only 15 at the time)
The next week we went back, and I had miraculously aged 2 years.

A pint of Watneys Red Barrel .:sick:

60p a week school dinner money bought a pint of Watneys Red Barrel, and a packet of 10 Number 6.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
fiddling with the aerial on portable tvs to get the channel to look slightly less fuzzy

I had one of these in 1986, in my room so I could watch Mexico '86 games after bed time! s-l1600.jpg

Barrow Boy

NSC Patron
Nov 2, 2007
GOSBTS
I was born in 1953, here's a few things that kids today would struggle to understand,

Rationing from WW2 didn't end officially until 1954, some things had been de-rationalised before but meat/bacon and sweets were the last, this was 9 years after the bloody war had ended!
We only had one TV channel in the south until ITV started Southern Television in 1958,(London area had ITV from 1955), but we couldn't receive it.
BBC2 started in 1964, so we then had the grand total of three channels !!!
'Jacko' rollerskates, with leather strap-on toe caps and ankle straps were the business in 1962, their main rivals were 'Davies' skates, and kids with these were derided by the 'Jacko' lads, a good analogy would be "Bus Wankers" from The Inbetweeners.
My pride and joy was a red Mobo scooter with yellow wheels and a rear brake.
Wagon wheels were definitely bigger back in the 1960's, and we had a thing called 'Cremola Foam' which came in a tin like Andrews Liver Salts, it came in various fruit flavours and you mixed a teaspoon of it in cold water to get a very frothy (slightly fizzy) drink.
The Corona lorry used to deliver bottles of fizzy drink weekly, we also had a bakers van who delivered twice weekly and a Fishmongers van weekly, coal was delivered weekly.
When the Rag and Bone man's horse and cart came round my mum used to fly out and shovel up a bucket of horse shit for her roses.
The yearly visit from the French 'Onion Johnny', on his bike with onions tied together strung across his handlebars, He wore the classic blue and white striped shirt and black beret with a red cravat tied round his neck, I know this sounds like an episode of 'Allo, Allo' but it was true.
Walking to school (about 1.5 miles) along the Upper Shoreham Road with my friends from about 8 years old, and being allowed to cross the road to play in Buckingham Park for an hour after school.
As kids in the 50's/60's we were given a lot more freedom and were left to our own devices quite a lot, but we made our own amusements and I certainly never felt neglected, in fact I think it gave us a much greater sense of responsibility.
I could write a book about how different my life was, compared to kids today, growing up in the 1950's and 60's, but it was a completely different era which had totally different values and attitudes. We didn't have much, we only went on holiday twice, between 1957 and 1966, but my parents managed to buy their own house and gave me a safe, happy and loving environment to grow up in, you can't ask for much more than that.
Sorry I've rambled on a bit, you do that when you get old!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here