Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[NSC] Things your kids would NEVER understand...

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Rag n Bone man (not that one), horse and cart coming up the road, man shouting “any old lumber?”

And your Nan being given a selection of horse poo from the bag hanging off the back of the horse for the garden!

Dancin Ninja BHA

Jul 6, 2003
Going on a day out to something your parents wanted to see, not having the entire day based around what the kids what to do, what the kids want to eat, how the kids feel.
“We are going round this country manor, I don’t want to hear any moaning and if, IF your well behaved you might get an ice cream at the end”.

So, so true :smile:

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Fvck the white dog shit - people didn't always take their dogs walkies back in the day - they just let the fvckin' thiings out, and you had to know how to keep out of their way on the way to or from school, which short cuts were safe, and when you had to just bloody run!

There was a dog called Woody that lived up Victoria Road in Shoreham who used to walk himself round towm. He would actually sit at the zebra crossing waiting to cross. he was also excellent at football. Funnily enough I bumped into his owner a few weeks ago.

There were a few dogs down Stoney Lane on the council estate you'd give a wide berth . . .likewise half the kids down there!

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Wearing shorts to school everyday, irrespective of the weather

Starting your paper round as early as the shop opened (might be 6am) in PITCH DARKNESS with minimal lighting to see your way

Yep. I had to leave for school at 7.40 so I had to make sure the paper round was done by 7.00 so I could have shower and breakfast before school. I probably would have done paper round sooner if I hadn't stopped to read the papers on the way.

My round BTW was about 90% Daily Mirror, about 5% Express and about 5% all the rest (I had no Guardian, Times or FT. There was one Telegraph, counter-balanced by one Morning Star)

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
probably been done

outside toilet

our neighbours still have one . . .only the chosen few know its there, which is perfect for garden parties as you never have to queue!

The council houses in Durrington had them in the back garden. Barrington Road? I guess they were built in the 50's.

Barnet Seagull

Luxury Player
Jul 14, 2003
Falmer, soon...
Going on a day out to something your parents wanted to see, not having the entire day based around what the kids what to do, what the kids want to eat, how the kids feel.
“We are going round this country manor, I don’t want to hear any moaning and if, IF your well behaved you might get an ice cream at the end”.

This hasn't changed in my house. In fact, you could've quoted me verbatim.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Dancin Ninja BHA

Jul 6, 2003
On the theme of getting 'treats' as a bonus not as a given, when I used to play mini-rugby in Haywards Heath with my brother early to mid 1980s, my father would stop off occasionally at the shop on the way home and we'd SHARE a Cadbury's Fruit and Nut if he thought we'd done okay.

2 chunks each maybe twice a month, if we were lucky :down: Different times now, there is an expectation now with the 'younger lot' of "what you gonna buy me?!!" :nono:

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
Shops closing every Wednesday afternoon. Or Saturday afternoon, depending on the town. And all day Sunday.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Bloke coming door to door asking to sharpen your knives on his grinding wheel on his bike..........also said he could do lawn mowers!!!!

You still get that in Spain. The guy plays a tune on his harmonica to let you know he's there. Vietnam too, where the guy rides around chanting "Mài dao oi" (Sharpen knife).

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
My niece got a cassette with a recent Little Mix release.

Reactions - Isn't this great it remembers where you stopped listening to the tape (This after taking out and turning the player off and then putting back in the next day)
- It's broken, all I'm getting is a click, click - No you need to take the cassette out and turn it over.

Still waiting for the use of a biro.

But cassettes are making a come back, although many of those buying don't have a cassette player.

Thanks in part to stuff like Stranger Things and Guardians of the Galaxy, cassettes and all things 80’s in general are coming back.
A yearning for simpler times.
Nostalgia sells in times of difficulty. Tory government, covid, austerity. All fuels the market for such things.

Last edited:

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
Chatting with friends and nobody being able to remember which actor was in a film, or who sung a particular song. Then 2 or 3 months later accidentally stumbling across the answer and feeling like you've just made the discovery of the century. Rather than just googling it and finding out in about 5 seconds time.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here