Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[NSC] Things your kids would NEVER understand...

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
Toilet roll covers for the spare loo roll. I have not seen one you years. They were usually knitted type appearance and hid the spare loo roll on top of the toilet. I never understood these and why anyone had them. Was it a case of two loo rolls being unsightly but one is okay?

Black and white tv with a coat hanger as the antenna.

Going to the library to find the encyclopaedia so that you could complete your homework. Speaking of libraries. Those little cards that then books had which went into the little orange holder to show which books you had.

Presenting a girl with a tape you made for her.

Shin pads with pointless plastic sticks down them that offered zero protection. I never understood why you could remove them. Very odd.

Brighton were absolute crap and almost fell out of the football league.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
As a kid, knowing to avoid the ‘funny bloke’ who lived on his own because he likes little boys/girls.

Taking advantage of the "funny bloke", by getting him to buy you a bag of sweets in the hope you might "sit on his lap", and pedalling off as soon as you had them. Chap known as "Bert the Bender" to all politically incorrect young boys in Crawley.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Metal roller skates like sandals you could adjust to your shoe size

And whack a Beano or Dandy album on them and use them as skateboards to sit on.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
How much i wanted to go on Jim'll Fix It and used to write to Jimmy Saville every year.

I hve a horrible feeling Jim did fix it for you, and your consequent contribution to NSC is understandable acting up.

There can be no other explanation.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Taking advantage of the "funny bloke", by getting him to buy you a bag of sweets in the hope you might "sit on his lap", and pedalling off as soon as you had them. Chap known as "Bert the Bender" to all politically incorrect young boys in Crawley.

Dark.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Big block bike lights powered by multiple D batteries.

Made by Pifco. The challenge was to keep them on their metal bracket. If they feel off that was almost certainly game over.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Brighton were absolute crap and almost fell out of the football league.

Not alot (sic) of people know that :lolol: :thumbsup: #sparemetheentitledwhoshallburninthefiresofhades

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
The toilets in the North Stand

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In fairness, most of us adults who experienced the North stand crapper have never understood it.
One of lifes mysteries.............right up there with the Bermuda Triangle and the urinal in the Flying Scotsman at Kings Cross.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
The very notion of 960 small coins to make a GBP.

Come to think of it - tables! £sd; Feet, inches, yards, chains and furlongs; tons, cwts, stones, lbs and ozs; pints, quarts and gallons - today's kids just couldn't take it!!

Anybody remember to what is 63,360 the answer?

Still masses of those still about, to be fair.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Sure its been mentioned, but they would never understand how easy it was to drink in a pub underage
(relatively speaking to nowadays)

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Cigarette vending machines on the outside of shops full of money and fags.
And they stayed there for years.
I would love to do an experiment and see how long one would last today.
Also chewing gum (XL and Beech Nut) and bubble gum (free packet every 4th turn)

And fingering, girls loved fingering (usually in the woods, a bit like young teen dogging) but they never reciprocated with your todger.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
:bigwave:

Seriously though, did you not get the memo, only old people had fun childhoods.
Injury filled, disease riddled childhoods.

I feel old when the new graduates and apprentices don't get my Simpsons references

I used to be with 'it', but then they changed what 'it' was. Now what I'm with isn't 'it' anymore and what's 'it' seems weird and scary.

Boys 9d

Jan 3, 2012
Lancing
I agree with much of the above but would like to add continuous performances at cinemas.

At busy periods you might have to queue until someone already inside left. This would allow you to advance until you were at the head of the queue. A factor to be taken into consideration was the different bands of seat prices which might mean someone behind you who could afford a higher price seat than you could get inside before you.

Your entry might be in the middle of a film so you would see the ending not knowing how it had begun. There were usually 2 films about 75 to 90 minutes long separated by a number of adverts and a newsreel. Three to three and half hours later you left having seen the beginning of the original film. Your leaving could allow somebody in the outside queue to take your seat.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here