Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] There's no need to panic buy petrol

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Mrs Crodo just been to top up her tank again and says the queues are less today which is good news.

juliant

Apr 4, 2011
Northamptonshire
Heard on the radio yesterday that the price of oil is going up and that some garages are also using the constant demand to hike prices knowing that people who have queued for ages are highly unlikely to complain . Anybody seen any of that and i wonder what the pump price will end up as even when all this ends ?

Our local BP garage has put his prices up 4 times since friday. Currently 1.60 a litre for diesel. The pitchforks are out !

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Surely they just say minimum spend is £30 irrrespective of how much you put in and if someone tops up with only £10 worth of petrol they still get charged £30.

That would be pretty harsh on anyone who has just had their benefits cut and can only afford a tenner's worth of fuel, which they need to go and see their dying relative.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
That would be pretty harsh on anyone who has just had their benefits cut and can only afford a tenner's worth of fuel, which they need to go and see their dying relative.

lets do nothing instead. bit harsh that person cant get any petrol at all to see their relative, but those are the choices we face when people are panic buying.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
I need a full tank every 4 or 5 days at the moment. I can never really get to that stage.

I appreciate that, however you're going to be an exceptional case, I would wager 95% of the population do not need to refuel every 4-5 days.

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
Mrs Crodo just been to top up her tank again and says the queues are less today which is good news.
You were asking yesterday who are these people who are causing the long queues. It sounds like Mrs Crodo is one of them, which I would say removes her right to complain about others?

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
That will happen sooner rather than later. I think exactly that occurred with every previous stampede for car fuel.

Millions of participants, especially in this WFH world, rushed to top up and then have barely used their cars.

Yep the WFH’s will be back to worrying about wether Cote or The Ivy can fit them in for a boozy Friday Lunch before you know it!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
Surely they just say minimum spend is £30 irrrespective of how much you put in and if someone tops up with only £10 worth of petrol they still get charged £30.
There are specific laws about petrol prices and the display on the pump and on the forecourt sign. If someone puts in only £10 worth and gets charged for £30, then I reckon it will be impossible to enforce payment of a price per litre higher than what the pump said. It will be one of those contract terms that the business cannot enforce and the customer cannot in law agree to waive.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
You were asking yesterday who are these people who are causing the long queues. It sounds like Mrs Crodo is one of them, which I would say removes her right to complain about others?

Ouch. Hook in the mouth whilst flapping around sounds painful. Is it?

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016

unless you have a motor bike that wont take £30.00, or a petrol can as you ran out and have walked to get some. Or like me I only use a very small amount, I have 1/4 tank left, probably last me two weeks, so even usually I won't even attempt to refuel yet. In this situation when i need to refuel, id probably only put twenty quid in, as that would see me a good couple weeks

Simple solutions very rarely are. £30 max sounds a great idea unless you are trying to get to somewhere any distance away, or are running a business that requires lots of driving. There are lots of "simple solutions" that arent.The only simple solution that would work is if people only refuel as normal, and this "crisis" would be over in a few days, that however requires people to take responsibility for their own actions, and despite almost universal "i haven't panic bought" on these posts, clearly a lot of people have. The vast majority who have refiled when they wouldn't normally have done has directly contributed to and extended the problem. Some instances may be justified, but the vast majority arent

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
The problem with minimum spend is that some people can’t afford it. When I started driving in the 90s I would often only have a spare fiver to get me through a few days of driving.
This. Why exclude those struggling on their last few pounds from buying fuel ? Pretty nasty thing to do.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Mrs Crodo needs to get to the hairdressers regularly, so I think she's a deserving case.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here