Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] There's no need to panic buy petrol

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
This. I was running on empty this morning but had a 5 min wait then filled up completely. Should sort me for a couple of weeks.

Its open again then, I still have just under half a tank in the car but the scooter needs juicing up with high octane motion lotion. . .got to keep riding while the weathers favourable for commuting.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Surely we must be getting close to the point where people who needed fuel have now got it? Surely?

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Surely we must be getting close to the point where people who needed fuel have now got it? Surely?

But then they'll have used about an eighth of a tank so therefore they'll need to queue to top up again. Can't be too careful can you? Also leaving aside the panickers my wife (a carer) has been told to 'fill up as soon as you have less than half a tank' which firstly is not that easy, and secondly is adding to the problem. (She hasn't done it yet).

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

That will happen sooner rather than later. I think exactly that occurred with every previous stampede for car fuel.

Millions of participants, especially in this WFH world, rushed to top up and then have barely used their cars.

Last edited:

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
...which is causing the A24 southbound to be blocked this morning as people queue to get in.

It was the same at 10;15 last night, but drivers who didn't want fuel (?) could pass by the queue on the right.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
This. I was running on empty this morning but had a 5 min wait then filled up completely. Should sort me for a couple of weeks.

This would suggest (according to most of the people I've heard on the radio this morning, not to me) that you were panic buying, as you bought more than you needed.

Dave the hatosaurus

Aug 22, 2021
worthing
Heard on the radio yesterday that the price of oil is going up and that some garages are also using the constant demand to hike prices knowing that people who have queued for ages are highly unlikely to complain . Anybody seen any of that and i wonder what the pump price will end up as even when all this ends ?

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
Heard on the radio yesterday that the price of oil is going up and that some garages are also using the constant demand to hike prices knowing that people who have queued for ages are highly unlikely to complain . Anybody seen any of that and i wonder what the pump price will end up as even when all this ends ?
I've seen £1.42 so far...

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
I know some petrol stations have imposed a £30 maximum, but has anywhere imposed a MINIMUM spend to stop people repeatedly topping up? That would help, wouldn't it?

Yoda

English & European
I know some petrol stations have imposed a £30 maximum, but has anywhere imposed a MINIMUM spend to stop people repeatedly topping up? That would help, wouldn't it?

Nope, I heard of one station doing the £30 limit where someone filled up with their £30 and went in and paid. Then moved forwards to the next pump and put in another £30.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
This would suggest (according to most of the people I've heard on the radio this morning, not to me) that you were panic buying, as you bought more than you needed.

He needs it for a couple of weeks..Doesn’t sound much like panic to me. The Headteacher at my wife’s school yesterday asked any staff taking out the school minibuses to top up the fuel tanks at any opportunity and especially if they are half full. Now that sounds like panic…..

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
The problem with minimum spend is that some people can’t afford it. When I started driving in the 90s I would often only have a spare fiver to get me through a few days of driving.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here