Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

the swan inn , falmer

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
as grown ups, i think most of us can be responsible enough not to drink and drive. it's not the landlords problem.

Actually, on a certain level it is. The person who hold the DPS (Designated Premises Supervisor) status on any alcohol-serving premises has a responsibility to ensure that, if he is in possession of the facts, anyone who drinks more than the legal drink/drive limit should not be driving away from the premises straight afterwards.

In other words, he can't be complicit, or be seen to be complicit in an act of drink/driving.

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
So are you saying this might increase Juvenile drink driving? This applicatrion must be stopped.

Here is a picture of the existing car park and surrounding area (Sorry AONB).........

falmer2.jpg

NO TO NEW CAR PARK!

Here is another picture looking west from the pub window....

ditchling_beacon.jpg

:clap: Another victory for Ban the Swan!

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
There are much better, economically viable, feasable places around Sussex to have a new car park.
May I suggest to him that he considers putting the car park at either
Brighton Station
Upper Beeding Cement Works
Toads Hole Valley
Sheepcote Valley
Coral Greyhounds Stadium
Shoreham Harbour

At any of those sites, there is less chance of vehicle/badger collisions than at the AONB of Falmer Haven

Now that is actually funny,... just the right amount of topical irony.... I did chuckle over here in the West Country,............. nice one....

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
He is in effect, actively encouraging greater levels of traffic in the Village and up the A27. Seeing as the site is so near to the proposed National Park, I shall be making my feelings known.

We don't want any extra DAILY traffic on top of the current amount, do we?

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I'd like to add that the proposed design is totally out of keeping with the downland setting, and will be visible for miles around. Probably from space in fact.

park12.jpg

The other thing is: it's all very well him increasing commercial opportunity by building it, but surely the locals don't have the necessary skills to benefit.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
bb96_10635.jpg

How the proposed car park will look from the south side...

tricorn-9.jpg

...the proposed new entrance to the pub....

tricorn3.jpg

...and the view from across Village Way towards the new parking area

Haha, the worm has turned, Smithers! :falmer:

He is in effect, actively encouraging greater levels of traffic in the Village and up the A27. Seeing as the site is so near to the proposed National Park, I shall be making my feelings known.

We don't want any extra DAILY traffic on top of the current amount, do we?
It's IN the proposed National Park! And it's in a Conservation Area. And it's a Grade II listed building.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
bb96_10635.jpg

How the proposed car park will look from the south side...

tricorn-9.jpg

...the proposed new entrance to the pub....

tricorn3.jpg

...and the view from across Village Way towards the new parking area

Haha, the worm has turned, Smithers! :falmer:

Hey, don't be picking on the Tricorn, it was a brutalist classic :p

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Tricorn, Shmicorn :p

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
Yes that's right. We're not against him HAVING a pub car park. We just don't think it should be next to his pub.

Possibly my favourite from a very high quality thread.

My formal objections have been made, and signature added to the petition

Well done everybody. Well done

:falmer:

leonidas

Go tell the Spartans
Jun 5, 2007
Surrounded by pubs
I would stick to what you know something about.

Any real ale including Harveys can be put on a stillage or back bar and served by the means of either a tap or syphon as required, within a few minutes if you wish and the brewers are aware that is what you are going to do.

All you have to do is tell them and they will make it bright for you so it would be posible for Harveys to deliver 10 Kilns of Harveys Saturday morning and they could be sold that day. The question of running out is the same whether it be Harveys or John Smith Smooth except the JS would keep for the next game and the Harveys wouldnt. Equally Harveys could do a sale or return and then send it out again on the following Monday if the keystones are not broken. The casks could be tapped or spiled as needed, no problem.

Well said Brian.
I would have said the same myself except for suggesting that TLO knows nothing about ale.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
That's just not true.

London Welsh only play matches about once a fortnight too - but that doesn't stop them having cask beer on draught.

It will be more than a fortnight since Sussex played at Hove when they start against Warks next week, yet I know that I'll be able to get Harveys in the club bar.

It's a lazy excuse: the club could easily put in a barrel or two of cask beer and have it ready for a Saturday kick-off. What stops them is inducements from big breweries, nothing to do with cellar practices.

Harveys do Firkins of Best for £103.85 sedimented or £105.83 bright, that's 72 pints. :drink:

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
It's in totally the wrong place! Think of the children of Mile Oak. How does the landlord expect them to get to the Swan?

With all due respect, m'lud, you have completely overlooked the Brighton Rapid Transit System which will serve the children's transport needs admirably. Did Slideshow Bob's splendid multi-media presentation to the Falmer Public Inquiry teach you NOTHING? ???

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
With all due respect, m'lud, you have completely overlooked the Brighton Rapid Transit System which will serve the children's transport needs admirably. Did Slideshow Bob's splendid multi-media presentation to the Falmer Public Inquiry teach you NOTHING? ???

there was an old woman who lived in a shoe who had so many children her womb dropped out. Sorry THPP but it's too, too far to be feasibly solved by a rapid transit system alone. The Brighton white water rapids, though.....

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here