Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

the swan inn , falmer

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
The Harveys needs to be laid to rest in the bar late Thursday / early Friday to ensure best quality on Saturday. The problem might lie in over or under-ordering, cos once it's gone, it's gone. But if you don't sell it, you may well have to bin it, especially if the cask has already been banged. Answer: drink it all before you go home.

I would stick to what you know something about.

Any real ale including Harveys can be put on a stillage or back bar and served by the means of either a tap or syphon as required, within a few minutes if you wish and the brewers are aware that is what you are going to do.

All you have to do is tell them and they will make it bright for you so it would be posible for Harveys to deliver 10 Kilns of Harveys Saturday morning and they could be sold that day. The question of running out is the same whether it be Harveys or John Smith Smooth except the JS would keep for the next game and the Harveys wouldnt. Equally Harveys could do a sale or return and then send it out again on the following Monday if the keystones are not broken. The casks could be tapped or spiled as needed, no problem.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
My pub was once featured in a tabloid newspaper as the cheapest pint in England and as such the TV and media wanted to come and interveiw my customers. As the beer in questuion was HARVEYS I had to get some urgent supplied in and phoned Harveys and Miles reccommended this to me and I went and collected 10 x18 gals of 'bright' which Harveys brightened for me between me leaving Guildford and arriving at Lewes. I queried the possible taste difference and both him and Hamish told me that the taste was not affected in any way and they would defy anybody to tell that it was bright bitter.

As a bye product the reason I am anti Harveys is because on that occassion they asked if my staff would all wear Harveys Polo shirts for the TV and when I agreed they let me have them for £5 each instead of £6.50 which meant for all the publicity that they received they actually gave me £6.00.

Caveman

Jul 14, 2003
as grown ups, i think most of us can be responsible enough not to drink and drive. it's not the landlords problem. Having a smaller car park won't lessen the risk of drink drivers.

So are you saying this might increase Juvenile drink driving? This applicatrion must be stopped.

Here is a picture of the existing car park and surrounding area (Sorry AONB).........

falmer2.jpg

NO TO NEW CAR PARK!

Here is another picture looking west from the pub window....

ditchling_beacon.jpg

Excuse my ignorance, but is Harveys in casks? No football club will sell ale that requires any good cellar practices to be 'well kept' as it will be too much trouble, bearing in mind that these bars will only be staffed once a fortnight at times.

Expect fizzy ale from metal barrels, for it is what ye shall be getting!

This is all true and I was thinking just the same the other day. You would probably get fizzy beer in the bars in the stadium concourse. But the club could still do Harveys in the clubs social club or bar couldn't they?

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
This is all true and I was thinking just the same the other day. You would probably get fizzy beer in the bars in the stadium concourse. But the club could still do Harveys in the clubs social club or bar couldn't they?

If the social club is anything like Shelbourne F.C.'s there be no reason why not - proper bar setup, open 7 days, members only though.

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
Seriously, who's actually going to object amongst all this jest?

colinpants

IT CONSULTANT
Jan 24, 2005
I got a PM from a certain well-known NSC member telling me that the landlord was closing down the pub and converting it back to houses - so much for that rumour.

Would the uni bars be open? They seem to have strange opening hours, I tried to get a drink there when I went to a concert at the Gardner Centre and they were shut - it was only 6.45 in the evening.

Proberly not out of bed that early.
:D

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here