Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

the swan inn , falmer

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
I heard he was in support of the stadium and had been for a few years, don't know where that came from though?

:Dwhen me and biscuit inteerviewed him for our falmer project he was just a LITTLE bit against it.....ok thats a lie. basically he had a full blown RANT at us, on camera, about how he would NEVER even LET IN anyone he suspected of being an albion fan :lol:

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
I would stick to what you know something about.

Any real ale including Harveys can be put on a stillage or back bar and served by the means of either a tap or syphon as required, within a few minutes if you wish and the brewers are aware that is what you are going to do.

All you have to do is tell them and they will make it bright for you so it would be posible for Harveys to deliver 10 Kilns of Harveys Saturday morning and they could be sold that day. The question of running out is the same whether it be Harveys or John Smith Smooth except the JS would keep for the next game and the Harveys wouldnt. Equally Harveys could do a sale or return and then send it out again on the following Monday if the keystones are not broken. The casks could be tapped or spiled as needed, no problem.

How odd, we've had two parties here at Tedebear mansions and for both we managed to *ahem* acquire a barrel of Timothy Taylors Landlord. Both times we were advised to tuck the barrel up by thursday on little chocks in the pantry with a wet tea towel on top, to ensure perfect consumption for Saturday...something about letting it rest and bits in it settling...

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
How odd, we've had two parties here at Tedebear mansions and for both we managed to *ahem* acquire a barrel of Timothy Taylors Landlord. Both times we were advised to tuck the barrel up by thursday on little chocks in the pantry with a wet tea towel on top, to ensure perfect consumption for Saturday...something about letting it rest and bits in it settling...

That is standard practice, to tap and spile it, but had you told Timothy Taylors that you wanted to serve it immediately they could have cleared it for you but then you probably got it through a wholesaler not direct from Yorkshire.
The wholsalers wouldnt do that, or rather couldnt do that for you.

There are other ways that you could clear it very quickly but it wouldnt be correct for me to go into those on here.

At least you had the sense to buy the best bitter on sale to the British Public in my opinion.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
:Dwhen me and biscuit inteerviewed him for our falmer project he was just a LITTLE bit against it.....ok thats a lie. basically he had a full blown RANT at us, on camera, about how he would NEVER even LET IN anyone he suspected of being an albion fan :lol:

Is that the legendary falmer project that contains exclusive footage of the march, and interviews with Dick 'jog on' Knight and an incoherent THPP amongst many others. I DEMAND that project be made public dammit, it's Albion heritage innit :rant: At least put it on sale and donate the proceeds to one of the dozen more or less worthy STICKY causes - or put it towards two weeks in Ibiza :cool:

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
That is standard practice, to tap and spile it, but had you told Timothy Taylors that you wanted to serve it immediately they could have cleared it for you but then you probably got it through a wholesaler not direct from Yorkshire.
The wholsalers wouldnt do that, or rather couldnt do that for you.

There are other ways that you could clear it very quickly but it wouldnt be correct for me to go into those on here.

At least you had the sense to buy the best bitter on sale to the British Public in my opinion.

always buy harveys for family parties - usually cask conditioned but the weather was so dubious for the last one and there was a potential need to change venue so we got Bright instead. No quarrels no problems - it dont quite taste the same though - not being a living ale anymore

Bouncermaninblack

Nov 22, 2011
The swan inn. falmer

I extracted this from the Argus Newspaper - so perhaps we shouldn't be hard on the NEW LANDLORD - who IS a football supporter!

[Copy & Paste from the Argus]

"As the owner of a pub just yards away from a new football stadium, choosing not to embrace matchdays with open arms might sound like something of an own goal.

For years the Swan Inn in Falmer, run by football-hating John Woodruff, became the focal point of a campaign against Brighton and Hove Albion’s £93 million new home.

But, with less than a year until the club moves in, things have changed.

Mr Woodruff died in June and left the pub and its grounds to a family that had worked for him for years.

Now the Gappers are preparing to welcome thousands of thirsty Albion fans and think running the pub at such a time was the business equivalent of winning the football pools.

Mother-and-son team Linda and Martin Gapper said matchdays would transform quiet Saturdays, when they usually welcome a handful of people and take about £300, into a thriving business."

Last edited:

Peever

Sep 5, 2010
Canada
Are you the owner in disguise? Pointless info to bounce a thread that is 4+ years old and your article is somewhere around a year old... lol

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
Not pointless Peever...quite relevant in fact. Amazing to see just how far we've all come since I Set up that petition...makes u realise all this stupid whining about team performance is folly when you consider the shit we all had to go through!

Sent from my iPhone using a goat

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Not pointless Peever...quite relevant in fact. Amazing to see just how far we've all come since I Set up that petition...makes u realise all this stupid whining about team performance is folly when you consider the shit we all had to go through!

Sent from my iPhone using a goat

BUT, as has been proved with a new thread, many people don't realise this is an old thread and start jumping on their high horses.

Obviously the bounce was a marketing tool

Sussex

MDAL
Apr 14, 2011
Went in there before the Barnsley game instead of the Hikers Rest as my son had a football match in Stamer park at 11am so it wasn't worth going back on ourselves to the Hikers
After saying I would by him a Burger all they had on offer were Sliced Pork Rolls (Hog Roast in Falmer!) and small cones of chips at £2.50 a pop the pub
was packed not hard as you couldn't swing a cat in there anyway.
They do serve drinks in a posh tent outside (A Marquee in Falmer) as not a Bitter man (shock horrer) they only had Calsberg on draft in the tent very poor all round the only bonus was i got talking to some intresting Brighton fans who comedown from Clacton-on-Sea every game.
Ill stick with what I no from now on anyway im sure we won't get another 3 o'clock Sunday kick off in a while say that we don't get that many on a Saturday!
Cheers :drink::drink:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here