Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

the swan inn , falmer

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Yeah but lets be honest, thats always shite isn't it? Not bad for a top-up if your 20 mins early but thats it really. I dunno maybe I'm the only one, just think its nice to have a pub within walking distance of the ground.

You can't be calling the pubs around Lansdowne nice :eek:

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I think the football club might have a few drinking places within the stadium.....

But will they have Harveys - or indeed any decent beer.

I've never been to a football ground that's had anything worth drinking and I'm sure that Falmer won't be the exception. It's one area where cricket and rugby piss over football.

Yeah but lets be honest, thats always shite isn't it? Not bad for a top-up if your 20 mins early but thats it really. I dunno maybe I'm the only one, just think its nice to have a pub within walking distance of the ground.

Difficult choice: Drink at the nearest pub, making one of the key opponents filthy rich OR drink at the stadium, putting money into the club.

Tough one really.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Excuse my ignorance, but is Harveys in casks? No football club will sell ale that requires any good cellar practices to be 'well kept' as it will be too much trouble, bearing in mind that these bars will only be staffed once a fortnight at times.

Expect fizzy ale from metal barrels, for it is what ye shall be getting!

But will they have Harveys - or indeed any decent beer.

I've never been to a football ground that's had anything worth drinking and I'm sure that Falmer won't be the exception. It's one area where cricket and rugby piss over football.

That might be up to us: we should let the club know-well in advance-that we want the beer to be decent. If they know they'll not sell much of the bog standard stadium pony piss I'm sure they'll do things differently.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Excuse my ignorance, but is Harveys in casks? No football club will sell ale that requires any good cellar practices to be 'well kept' as it will be too much trouble, bearing in mind that these bars will only be staffed once a fortnight at times.

Expect fizzy ale from metal barrels, for it is what ye shall be getting!

That's just not true.

London Welsh only play matches about once a fortnight too - but that doesn't stop them having cask beer on draught.

It will be more than a fortnight since Sussex played at Hove when they start against Warks next week, yet I know that I'll be able to get Harveys in the club bar.

It's a lazy excuse: the club could easily put in a barrel or two of cask beer and have it ready for a Saturday kick-off. What stops them is inducements from big breweries, nothing to do with cellar practices.

Braders

Abi Fletchers Gimpboy
Jul 15, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
That's just not true.

London Welsh only play matches about once a fortnight too - but that doesn't stop them having cask beer on draught.

It will be more than a fortnight since Sussex played at Hove when they start against Warks next week, yet I know that I'll be able to get Harveys in the club bar.

It's a lazy excuse: the club could easily put in a barrel or two of cask beer and have it ready for a Saturday kick-off. What stops them is inducements from big breweries, nothing to do with cellar practices.
The Harveys needs to be laid to rest in the bar late Thursday / early Friday to ensure best quality on Saturday. The problem might lie in over or under-ordering, cos once it's gone, it's gone. But if you don't sell it, you may well have to bin it, especially if the cask has already been banged. Answer: drink it all before you go home.

This Carlsberg-Tetley / Interbrew homogenisation of stadia catering and bars pisses me off royally. Attila did make the point last night that it's vital we have a bar that we - the fans - want. I can envisage nine uber-bars at Falmer selling bottled piss - brewed under licence in the UK - and one supporters' bar selling Harveys or Dark Star, and that latter bar being RAMMED.

DIFFBROOK

Really Up the Junction
Feb 3, 2005
Yorkshire
On BBC Look North, Farmer Diffbrook commented on the proposed car park at the Swan Inn, Falmer. He said " That'll be a good piece of dirt that they'll be tarmaccing over"

magoo

Jul 8, 2003
United Kingdom
i don't get it, when my brother-in-law was alive he used to be very good friends with the owner of the swan and he always said he didn'really want the stadium as he didn't need or want the business.

maybe greed has got the better of him.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
The Harveys needs to be laid to rest in the bar late Thursday / early Friday to ensure best quality on Saturday. The problem might lie in over or under-ordering, cos once it's gone, it's gone. But if you don't sell it, you may well have to bin it, especially if the cask has already been banged. Answer: drink it all before you go home.

This Carlsberg-Tetley / Interbrew homogenisation of stadia catering and bars pisses me off royally. Attila did make the point last night that it's vital we have a bar that we - the fans - want. I can envisage nine uber-bars at Falmer selling bottled piss - brewed under licence in the UK - and one supporters' bar selling Harveys or Dark Star, and that latter bar being RAMMED.

Yes, good stock control is vital - but that's different from saying that it's not possible to keep beer in good conditions at football grounds.

I'll say it again: if it can be done at rugby, it can be done at football. I too am pissed off with dross that we get served up at football grounds and let's hope that Falmer could offer an alternative way of doing things.

Woodchip

It's all about the bikes
Aug 28, 2004
Shaky Town, NZ
Has anyone pointed out the obvious?

By building a larger car park next to the pub the landlord is clearly promoting drink driving. This is highly irresponsible and the landlord should have his license revoked with immediate effect!!

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
Difficult choice: Drink at the nearest pub, making one of the key opponents filthy rich OR drink at the stadium, putting money into the club.

Tough one really.

I'm sorry, clearly I've not abided by the code of conduct and made all of my decisions in life revolving solely around what best benefits Brighton and Hove Albion FC.

Yeah the mans a tosser and I don't want to hand him money, but to be honest I think that about a lot of pub landlords (including the one I work for!). Either way I'm not gonna feel guilty because, after the endless years of season tickets, support home and away, replica shirts etc, I buy a pint somewhere that doesn't go into the pocket of the club!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here