Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The 'special' player

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
Interesting to see the names being banded about on this thread - yes it is nice to be associated with such players as Hargreaves, Jenas and Woodgate (let alone Owen....) but I'm not sure that spending serious dosh on a 'name' that has really serious injury problems, is likely to break down at any time and only give us half a season at best. Presumably they would be available for less than the going rate but that is not really what is needed.

I would throw another name into the discussion - Joe Cole? Has been a bit injury prone but not to the extent of the above mentioned. Never really established at Liverpool so would probably fancy a return south. There is a Chelsea connection for Gus. Reckon Cole could do a good job in the Championship. Talented and experienced midfield player to have in the squad too. Handy for set pieces. After yesterday I am inclined to think we might be able to afford his wages too? Ditto for Wes Brown in defence? Wouldn't mind either of those two. Neither are first team regulars and nearing the end of their Premiership careers so a there is a potential deal to be done.

However I am mindful that we already appear to holding off bringing in a big signing that is carrying an injury i.e. Lua Lua. We all want to see KLL here but that deal hasn't been tied up - because we think his injury isn't fully healed and / or is not insurable and / or possibly that Pardew just won't release him. Hopefully it will work out - but why add yet another to our squad?

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
He doesn't have to last a season - just until Adam El-Abd is fit again. Which is about as long as he usually remains uninjured ...

Quite. I assume that's why we may be considering him as an option. A very fine player if fit, and would be yet another coup for the titanic trio of Bloom, Poyet and Stephenson.

Jul 28, 2010
Fareham, Hampshire
images
yes please :)

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Interesting to see the names being banded about on this thread - yes it is nice to be associated with such players as Hargreaves, Jenas and Woodgate (let alone Owen....) but I'm not sure that spending serious dosh on a 'name' that has really serious injury problems, is likely to break down at any time and only give us half a season at best.

But would it be "serious dosh", as players like Hargreaves and Woodgate will surely only command a minimal wage and a pay-per-play on top due to tehir injury record. In the case of Woodgate, I'm sure he's a free agent, so there wouldn't be a transfer fee either.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Woodgate might be the new Kishishev for all we know , a stalwart experienced defender and a strategic playmaker.

DTES

Jul 7, 2003
London
4 games in 2 years? Sorry, it's a no from me.

I'm not even slightly doubting that he has the talent, but if he won't take a pay-as-you-play deal from Spurs, he surely won't take one from us, and I really wouldn't be confident about a big wage for him.

I don't know about contracts or what not, just saw him taking a tour of the ground with Tony, Gus and another coach (not sure who).

I only registered to let you guys know this, hopefully we are signing him, however rumor has it he has also been offered a deal at Leeds?

Would be a risk but would definitely cause a stir if he signs! See you at the Amex! :bhasign:

This was posted at 00:54hrs. Firstly, I don't know what job MrK has at the Amex that requires him to be at work at this time of the morning, and secondly I can't imagine Tony and Gus showing anyone around at that time either. This has been a great wind-up MrK!

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
4 games in 2 years? Sorry, it's a no from me.

I'm not even slightly doubting that he has the talent, but if he won't take a pay-as-you-play deal from Spurs, he surely won't take one from us, and I really wouldn't be confident about a big wage for him.

A pay as you play deal at Spurs might see his annual salary fall to £25k or zero.

veade

Feb 19, 2005
Boston
Joe Cole will go to Spurs i'm pretty sure of that

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Jermaine Jenas. 28 yrs old, 201 games for spurs, 21 caps for England, £12m in transfer fees. I like it, why not.

Shares an agent with Inigo Calderon, Agustin Battipiedi, Michael Poke, Dean Cox.

down the pecking order at Spurs, Fenerbache rumoured to be interested for 5m, Fulham, Hamburg also linked.

would be class

and the lucky boy just got married

images

Last edited:

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
Joking a side, I was told yesterday by a Scaffolder (good honest trade, so can trust everything they say!!) who said he no's John Keeley and He said that Woodgate has been there a couple of times with a view of signing on a pay as you play contract, I wasnt going to say anyhting as I can be bothered with rumours, but hey maybe theres some truth in it...

Did he say whether Woodgate was limping badly by the time he'd finished his stadium tour?

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
Hargreaves, Woodgate even Jenas might be able to afford wages but Cole? Sure he only signed for pool because they paid more than Arsenal and many London clubs could. Ridiculous money likely.

For the record don't think we need another striker so hopefully that position is out.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
Fair point about the 'pay as you play' deal but still doesn't make any of the Woodgate / Hargreaves / Jenas options a wise choice if they will spend most the season serving prawn sandwiches as a host in the 1901, when not laying on a beach in Spain.

By all means bring in a name that will establish himself as a bona fide team player that we are confident of getting 25 - 30 games out of - and not half a dozen half baked cameos that just disrupt the continuity in the team. One of our key strengths last season was having relatively few disruptions from injury that allowed the continuity for the team to play the confident and intuitive footie that made us stand out from the rest.

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
no he didnt, but did say that he spent most of his time with the medical team and in the medical room checking out the facilites.

Ahhhhh, right you is. Can't blame him though - what with the amount of time he'd have to spend in there...

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
CMS was the special one.

There may be more special ones, but they won't be quite as special, in Gus' eyes, as CMS is.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
If he is not confident enough to accept pay as you play, surely it can only mean two things? Down the pecking order and more importantly, he himself feels he cannot play the games to make the wage offered. No thanks, move on, nothing to see here.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
CMS was the special one.

There may be more special ones, but they won't be quite as special, in Gus' eyes, as CMS is.

It's been interesting to see how enthusiastic he is about CMS when you compare his very un enthusiastic comments about Murray during what was a phenomenal season. He obviously sees something really special about CMS. I must say I'm surprised about how enthusiastic he's been, even to talking about building he team around him.

I know he's good but is he really all that Gus is suggesting, I guess we are about to find out.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here