Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

the South Lanes

krakatoa

Jan 21, 2010
HOVE
Fucks me right off when i hear people getting this wrong. 'The South Lanes' has really started to take hold now... FFS please don't let local traders and estate agent piss all over our heritage.

I know it's a bit of an overreaction, but I do feel a bit like this too. And a brief google search shows it is indeed gradually starting to take hold . .

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
So I can rename Haywards Heath as North Burgess Hill, if I like?

The change to the laines happened 100 years ago when it went from farming to housing. The change was embraced then. Brighton is full of incomers who don't understand our city, don't know all the local names for places, so get them wrong or make them up, and it begins to stick when people like you say we should "embrace" change made by ignorant people.

ahem... did you mean the change to the Lanes or the to the Laine? the old town was never the "Laines" and was always housing (well, few hundred years). the North Laine was built up in the regency period, along with much else.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
Its a name thats all, what harm can it do ? You'd think the whole character and make up of the area was changing judging by the squeals of outrage, change happens , why not embrace it ?

100% agree. Such a stupid thing to get prissy about, and I suspect people only do it so they can pat themselves on the back for being FROM Brighton and not one of those clueless imbeciles who have the temerity to move here.

I've deliberately started saying "North Lanes" because you're guaranteed that people are going to act like they're doing on this thread, look at me like I'm head of the Jimmy Saville fan club and scream "It's the North LAAIIINE!"

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
100% agree. Such a stupid thing to get prissy about, and I suspect people only do it so they can pat themselves on the back for being FROM Brighton and not one of those clueless imbeciles who have the temerity to move here.

I've deliberately started saying "North Lanes" because you're guaranteed that people are going to act like they're doing on this thread, look at me like I'm head of the Jimmy Saville fan club and scream "It's the North LAAIIINE!"

Quite right - Brightons is a lovely city.

Hoves can f*** off.

les dynam

Oct 10, 2008
Hove

? It's a pure coincidence that the two areas have similar sounding names... would you be okay if i starting calling Falmer 'Hove' or perhaps starting calling Kemp Town 'Falmer'. Of course not, it would be ridiculous. Obviously there are way more important things to worry about... but you know, it's okay to know about and embrace a town's unique history. Wherever you're born.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Look through Latest Homes and be amazed at how many estate agents can't seem to get their idiot brains around the North Laine.

wardy wonder land

Dec 10, 2007
surely it is a question of navigation rather than naming convention ? or a question of grammer on the pronouciation ?

so North Laine is an area that sort of is north of North streat up to the station area and between Queens street and london road and includes the Pav, Kensington gardens and all the "indepentent" shops etc

whereas the Lanes is the old fishing village area bounded by North, East, West South streets and split by SHIP street

Burgerking by the clocktower would be north-west Lanes and the ABC cinema would be south-east Lanes

edit - Middle street is in the middle of west & ship streets where as Ship street is in the middle of east & west street

Last edited:

wardy wonder land

Dec 10, 2007
........therefore the south lanes would be a strip from ABC Cinema via town hall via Ship hotel to the Hop poles/pink coconut.......

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011

SOUND THINKING THAT MAN. In fact, why don't we call anywhere with a BN postcode.....................................

CROYDON :eek::eek:

I mean , "Such a stupid thing to get prissy about"

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011
i don't understand why people don't question the fact that "Laine" and "Lane" don't have the same spelling

Cos they are seperate words and mean different things!

Bit like "Hove" and "Home"

Due to its geographical relation to The Lanes, North Laine is sometimes incorrectly referred to as the "North Lanes". However, a "laine" is a Sussex dialect term for an open tract of land at the base of the Downs,[2] which is derived from an Anglo-Saxon legal term for a kind of land holding. The space that is now North Laine was once occupied by five open farming plots of a type that seem to have been generally unchanged in style since the Middle Ages. By the 19th century, the farming plots (which had been for centuries subdivided into hides and furlongs) were encircled by major municipal roads for Brighton. With building developments across Brighton beginning to encroach upon the fields, the tracks that had divided the individual hide plots were normalized into streets, and the area was soon appropriated as a new settlement and market area. John Furner planted a market garden in the plots, and by 1840 a rail hub had been set up on the northern border of North Laine, Brighton railway station.

Oct 25, 2003
Cos they are seperate words and mean different things!

Bit like "Hove" and "Home"

Due to its geographical relation to The Lanes, North Laine is sometimes incorrectly referred to as the "North Lanes". However, a "laine" is a Sussex dialect term for an open tract of land at the base of the Downs,[2] which is derived from an Anglo-Saxon legal term for a kind of land holding. The space that is now North Laine was once occupied by five open farming plots of a type that seem to have been generally unchanged in style since the Middle Ages. By the 19th century, the farming plots (which had been for centuries subdivided into hides and furlongs) were encircled by major municipal roads for Brighton. With building developments across Brighton beginning to encroach upon the fields, the tracks that had divided the individual hide plots were normalized into streets, and the area was soon appropriated as a new settlement and market area. John Furner planted a market garden in the plots, and by 1840 a rail hub had been set up on the northern border of North Laine, Brighton railway station.

i know that....my question is why people who call North Laine the "north laines" don't question why it's spelled differently to lane as in "the lanes"

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
i know that....my question is why people who call North Laine the "north laines" don't question why it's spelled differently to lane as in "the lanes"

When it's being spoken about, as in when someone might be asking for directions, you can't tell it is spelled differently. So, as a non local, you could quite understandably think that it is North & South Lane or Lanes.

Some people used to say Chris Woods when refering to Chris Wood, and his name was printed in the program.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here