Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

the South Lanes

HovaGirl

I'll try a breakfast pie
Jul 16, 2009
West Hove
ahem... did you mean the change to the Lanes or the to the Laine? the old town was never the "Laines" and was always housing (well, few hundred years). the North Laine was built up in the regency period, along with much else.

No, I meant the laines (lower case L) in referring to the North Laine, West Laine, Little Laine, Hilly Laine and East Laine we were talking about earlier.

Firstly, note the difference in spelling between "Lanes" and "Laine". They have two different meanings and developed at two different times. A lane is a little road or alley. A laine was a collection of fields. Then we'll compare the map with what is happening today.

North Laine is not part of the old medieval area of Brighton to the south of North Street. It is part of an old farming area which used to be called North Laine, and still is. It is north of the ancient medieval fishing village of Brighton.

The area which used to be that ancient medieval fishing village, is now known as The Lanes, because it is riddled with narrow lanes and alleys, though much of it has been ruined or destroyed.

Back to the other old laines.

While North Laine was and is to the north of the medieval part of Brighton known as The Lanes, West Laine was to the west of The Lanes. It isn't called that any more, but it would include the Churchill Square area and the area up Dyke Road as far as the boundary with Hove.

To the east of The Lanes, there was Little Laine, presumably because it was a small area. It isn't called that any more, either. It includes the western end of Kemp Town, which was named after Thomas Kemp who built the area in the 19th century, when it was renamed after him.

Further to the east, to the east of Little Laine, was East Laine, which comprises the eastern end of Kemp Town and Whitehawk.

To the north of Little Laine and was Hilly Laine, comprising the area around Hanover and Queen's Park.

Only North Laine has retained its name in the local parlance, though it refers to a general area, and you won't find it on a map.

The Lanes is a modern term for the medieval village and you won't find that on any map, either.

Thank you for this sensible and interesting response enlightening me as to the history of the name and clearing up the confusion in my mind and, I suspect, the minds of many others.

No place for this sort of thread on NSC surely????

At least that has the benefit of being exactly where the West Laine was in the eighteenth century.

What about Hilly Laine, Little Laine and East Laine? They could do with a revival.

....And what about Denny Laine and Frankie Laine shurely????

..Gets coat.

£1.99

Mar 3, 2008
I see today they were putting new cycle lane markings on the roads in the North Laine .

I see today they were putting new cycle lane markings on the roads in the North Laine .
I thought we'd established that the North Laine was a field.

Good to see that they're encouraging bikes, though.

Lithuania-agritourism-Cycling-in-the-field-450x337.jpg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here