Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

the South Lanes

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
To the east of The Lanes, there was Little Laine, presumably because it was a small area. It isn't called that any more, either. It includes the western end of Kemp Town, which was named after Thomas Kemp who built the area in the 19th century, when it was renamed after him.

Further to the east, to the east of Little Laine, was East Laine, which comprises the eastern end of Kemp Town and Whitehawk.

To the north of Little Laine and was Hilly Laine, comprising the area around Hanover and Queen's Park.

Only North Laine has retained its name in the local parlance, though it refers to a general area, and you won't find it on a map.

The Lanes is a modern term for the medieval village and you won't find that on any map, either.

If you're going by that map, Little Laine appears to run from the Old Steine in the west to somewhere like Lower Rock Gardens in the east, which is still Brighton - as opposed to Kemp Town. East Laine appears to take up what is now Kemp Town and Manor Farm.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
no, so sort it out. North Laine is North St to Trafalgar st), The Lanes south of North St to the seafront. simples.

The original North Laine went as far north as New England Road (or Montpelier Road, as it was known then). But you're right, nowadays, it's considered that is only goes as far north as Trafalgar Street.

jg_25_261.jpg

HovaGirl

I'll try a breakfast pie
Jul 16, 2009
West Hove
If you're going by that map, Little Laine appears to run from the Old Steine in the west to somewhere like Lower Rock Gardens in the east, which is still Brighton - as opposed to Kemp Town. East Laine appears to take up what is now Kemp Town and Manor Farm.

Fair comment. Eastern Brighton isn't my territory!

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Only North Laine has retained its name in the local parlance, though it refers to a general area, and you won't find it on a map.

The Lanes is a modern term for the medieval village and you won't find that on any map, either.

So what you're saying is that there actually isn't officially any North Laine, Laines, Lane or Lanes, just some guff that locals hang on to with which to try and make themselves look all special when visitors come? But, and here's the imporatant bit going back to the OP, there is a south part of The Lanes.

And as you say, people don't actually know where Kempton starts and finishes, or even if Churchill's Square was once a Lane, or a Laine.

All much clearer now.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
It's RETARDED.

A term dreamed up by OUTSIDERS who seem to think there is some kind of correlation between NORTH LAINE and THE LANES when of course THERE IS NOT.

I've lost track of the number of times I've gotten arsey about this, correcting morons who know no better only to be told "whatever".

NO NOT "WHATEVER", f***ing LEARN YOU IGNORANT OUTSIDER f***. PLAY BY OUR RULES OR f*** OFF BACK TO RUSSIA
I take it you've never ever commented unfavourably about other posters on a thread where they have complained about certain other outsiders

not "playing by our rules" ?

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
I live up in the North West now. We don't have lanes at all - they're called 'lonnings' (or lonnen, or loaning - depending on precisely where you are). Nor do we have Twittens - they're 'ginnels'.

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
So what you're saying is that there actually isn't officially any North Laine, Laines, Lane or Lanes, just some guff that locals hang on to with which to try and make themselves look all special when visitors come? But, and here's the imporatant bit going back to the OP, there is a south part of The Lanes.

And as you say, people don't actually know where Kempton starts and finishes, or even if Churchill's Square was once a Lane, or a Laine.

All much clearer now.

Superdull

krakatoa

Jan 21, 2010
HOVE
its not pedantic at all, its simply calling places by their proper name. care to name the eatery so we can vent at them?

It's The House restaurant, near the taxi rank in East street (good meal, good service, maybe a little pricey for me)

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM

All much clearer now.

Stop being obtuse Phil, or you won't get any lamb next week. :p

Here's the eastern end of West Laine, with where Churchill Square is near the top...

jg_7_062.jpg

Kempton is in Surrey.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Firstly, note the difference in spelling between "Lanes" and "Laine". They have two different meanings and developed at two different times. A lane is a little road or alley. A laine was a collection of fields. Then we'll compare the map with what is happening today.

North Laine is not part of the old medieval area of Brighton to the south of North Street. It is part of an old farming area which used to be called North Laine, and still is. It is north of the ancient medieval fishing village of Brighton.

The area which used to be that ancient medieval fishing village, is now known as The Lanes, because it is riddled with narrow lanes and alleys, though much of it has been ruined or destroyed.

Back to the other old laines.

While North Laine was and is to the north of the medieval part of Brighton known as The Lanes, West Laine was to the west of The Lanes. It isn't called that any more, but it would include the Churchill Square area and the area up Dyke Road as far as the boundary with Hove.

To the east of The Lanes, there was Little Laine, presumably because it was a small area. It isn't called that any more, either. It includes the western end of Kemp Town, which was named after Thomas Kemp who built the area in the 19th century, when it was renamed after him.

Further to the east, to the east of Little Laine, was East Laine, which comprises the eastern end of Kemp Town and Whitehawk.

To the north of Little Laine and was Hilly Laine, comprising the area around Hanover and Queen's Park.

We had a quiz at work, during a break, on a training day, with one section on local knowledge. A question asked the meaning of the word 'Laine' and the correct answer was field. As the map link that Notters posted shows, Brighton was surrounded by Laines or fields.

les dynam

Oct 10, 2008
Hove
Fucks me right off when i hear people getting this wrong. 'The South Lanes' has really started to take hold now... FFS please don't let local traders and estate agent piss all over our heritage.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
Fucks me right off when i hear people getting this wrong. 'The South Lanes' has really started to take hold now... FFS please don't let local traders and estate agent piss all over our heritage.

Its a name thats all, what harm can it do ? You'd think the whole character and make up of the area was changing judging by the squeals of outrage, change happens , why not embrace it ?

Last edited:

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Its a name thats all, what harm can it do ? You'd think the whole character and make up of the area was changing judging by the squeals of outrage, change happens , why not embrace it ?

because it is ignorant of the difference between "Lane" and "Laine". its not a name change by design, its because the people didnt notice the spelling and wonder why its different.

HovaGirl

I'll try a breakfast pie
Jul 16, 2009
West Hove

So I can rename Haywards Heath as North Burgess Hill, if I like?

The change to the laines happened 100 years ago when it went from farming to housing. The change was embraced then. Brighton is full of incomers who don't understand our city, don't know all the local names for places, so get them wrong or make them up, and it begins to stick when people like you say we should "embrace" change made by ignorant people.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here