Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

the South Lanes

HovaGirl

I'll try a breakfast pie
Jul 16, 2009
West Hove
I think you mean The Laines. And it's North Laines BTW, not North Lanes.

Are you on a wind-up?

The historic medieval area of Brighton enclosed by North Street, West Street, South Street and East Street, is known as The Lanes.

Prior to Brighton becoming built-up in the Victorian era, "laine" was a reference to the field areas in the parish. (Please see the link to the map which someone (Lord B?) provided.) The area near the station is thus still known as North Laine.

The post to which you are replying was in response to someone else who referred to The Lanes as South Lanes. South Lanes doesn't exist. It's The Lanes. (See the old map, and there used to be various Laines in quite different areas to The Lanes, but not a South Laine.)

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
It's RETARDED.

A term dreamed up by OUTSIDERS who seem to think there is some kind of correlation between NORTH LAINE and THE LANES when of course THERE IS NOT.

I've lost track of the number of times I've gotten arsey about this, correcting morons who know no better only to be told "whatever".

NO NOT "WHATEVER", f***ing LEARN YOU IGNORANT OUTSIDER f***. PLAY BY OUR RULES OR f*** OFF BACK TO RUSSIA

This bar the Russia bit...

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
Are you on a wind-up?

The historic medieval area of Brighton enclosed by North Street, West Street, South Street and East Street, is known as The Lanes.

Prior to Brighton becoming built-up in the Victorian era, "laine" was a reference to the field areas in the parish. (Please see the link to the map which someone (Lord B?) provided.) The area near the station is thus still known as North Laine.

The post to which you are replying was in response to someone else who referred to The Lanes as South Lanes. South Lanes doesn't exist. It's The Lanes. (See the old map, and there used to be various Laines in quite different areas to The Lanes, but not a South Laine.)

Although it obviously makes sense given historic information and as I have only been in Sussex for 30 odd years, thanks for clearing that up !

HovaGirl

I'll try a breakfast pie
Jul 16, 2009
West Hove
So if you have South Lanes, and North Laines, what's the one called that leads up to Churchill Square called. Where the old T-Shirt shop used to be? Is that West Lane or West Laines?

No, we don't have South Lanes and North Laines.

The road which leads up to Churchill Square is called Cranbourne Street and is not part of The Lanes. If you cross West Street (the road from the Clock Tower to the seafront), the road just to the side of Cranbourne Street is called Duke Street. Duke Street is within the North Street/West Street/East Street/South Street boundary, but not all of that is medieval. The core of the medieval city are those narrow little streets and lanes which are far too narrow for cars, Meeting House Lane and Nile Street, for example.

North Laine is the Victorian area just down from Queen's Road and the station.

HovaGirl

I'll try a breakfast pie
Jul 16, 2009
West Hove
Looking at that old map, so where is the West Lanes now? Is that Churchills Square?

The old West Laine would be that area to the west of West Street, and would include Churchill Square, the Brighton Centre, etc. But it is not called that now.

Bodular

Jul 9, 2012
So I'm not a proper brightonian because I use the north/south Laine/lanes term ??? Shit I better get my passport changed!

HovaGirl

I'll try a breakfast pie
Jul 16, 2009
West Hove
So I'm not a proper brightonian because I use the north/south Laine/lanes term ??? Shit I better get my passport changed!

Did anyone say you weren't a proper Brightonian? Nope. But you are using terms which don't exist, as are many mistaken others. It's how slang and wrong information spreads.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
The old West Laine would be that area to the west of West Street, and would include Churchill Square, the Brighton Centre, etc. But it is not called that now.

Weren't the council trying to revive that a few months ago?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
So I'm not a proper brightonian because I use the north/south Laine/lanes term ???

no, so sort it out. North Laine is North St to Trafalgar st), The Lanes south of North St to the seafront. simples.

Bodular

Jul 9, 2012
Probably. And you should care, else why bother to reply to the thread?

Did anyone say you weren't a proper Brightonian? Nope. But you are using terms which don't exist, as are many mistaken others. It's how slang and wrong information spreads.

Yes I do believe this says I'm an outsider

It's RETARDED.

A term dreamed up by OUTSIDERS who seem to think there is some kind of correlation between NORTH LAINE and THE LANES when of course THERE IS NOT.

I've lost track of the number of times I've gotten arsey about this, correcting morons who know no better only to be told "whatever".

NO NOT "WHATEVER", f***ing LEARN YOU IGNORANT OUTSIDER f***. PLAY BY OUR RULES OR f*** OFF BACK TO RUSSIA

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts

I think me and you are confused, North Street is south of the North Laines, yet you can't call the lanes that are south of North Street the South Lanes. And the West Laine is now Churchill's Square, no-one has even mentioned what happened to the Little Laine, is that now Kemp Town?

HovaGirl

I'll try a breakfast pie
Jul 16, 2009
West Hove
I think me and you are confused, North Street is south of the North Laines, yet you can't call the lanes that are south of North Street the South Lanes. And the West Laine is now Churchill's Square, no-one has even mentioned what happened to the Little Laine, is that now Kemp Town?

Firstly, note the difference in spelling between "Lanes" and "Laine". They have two different meanings and developed at two different times. A lane is a little road or alley. A laine was a collection of fields. Then we'll compare the map with what is happening today.

North Laine is not part of the old medieval area of Brighton to the south of North Street. It is part of an old farming area which used to be called North Laine, and still is. It is north of the ancient medieval fishing village of Brighton.

The area which used to be that ancient medieval fishing village, is now known as The Lanes, because it is riddled with narrow lanes and alleys, though much of it has been ruined or destroyed.

Back to the other old laines.

While North Laine was and is to the north of the medieval part of Brighton known as The Lanes, West Laine was to the west of The Lanes. It isn't called that any more, but it would include the Churchill Square area and the area up Dyke Road as far as the boundary with Hove.

To the east of The Lanes, there was Little Laine, presumably because it was a small area. It isn't called that any more, either. It includes the western end of Kemp Town, which was named after Thomas Kemp who built the area in the 19th century, when it was renamed after him.

Further to the east, to the east of Little Laine, was East Laine, which comprises the eastern end of Kemp Town and Whitehawk.

To the north of Little Laine and was Hilly Laine, comprising the area around Hanover and Queen's Park.

Only North Laine has retained its name in the local parlance, though it refers to a general area, and you won't find it on a map.

The Lanes is a modern term for the medieval village and you won't find that on any map, either.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here